THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Horrible Boston Highways

04-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #23
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
You mean outright dangerous. No wonder you have issues. Manufacturer warns not to run in under 40 degree weather due to cracking and delamination risk. Your delamination is expected in this case. My summers are still off the car.
Is the 40 degree limit something unique to PSS, or is common for summer tires? Even in Texas we get days under 40. I've run summer tires (but not PSSs) on my other cars, and never had a problem. I wonder if they mean air temp vs tire temp, and if they mean a single instance could ruin the tire or a pattern of use?

My 2er came with run flats, and I am considering moving to PSSs. But since it's really not practical to change to snow tires for the 2 or 3 snow days a year around here, I need a year round tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #24
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Is the 40 degree limit something unique to PSS, or is common for summer tires? Even in Texas we get days under 40. I've run summer tires (but not PSSs) on my other cars, and never had a problem. I wonder if they mean air temp vs tire temp, and if they mean a single instance could ruin the tire or a pattern of use?

My 2er came with run flats, and I am considering moving to PSSs. But since it's really not practical to change to snow tires for the 2 or 3 snow days a year around here, I need a year round tire.
You aren't supposed to run summers under 32 degrees due to lack of traction. The PSS is the first tire I've seen that says 40, and specifically outlines possible failure issues as a result of cold weather running. I'm sure the meen pattern of use, but they just say "don't do it".

Incidentally the OP lives in New England and we got SIGNIFICANTLY below 40.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post

It's not unique to PSS. The compound characteristics which make Summer tires so "sticky", also allows them to become rock hard in cold temps. From a performance point of view, they really shouldn't be used, and if they have to be used, the car should be driven very carefully, as any quick maneuver may demonstrate the loss of traction. Apparently, you've been lucky so far in not having an unavoidable obstacle in your path.

But, there is another issue we've been discussing on another thread. Michelin advised me (via phone inquiry) that the PSS tire compound, subject to becoming so hard, can then develop increasing number of small cracks, ultimately possibly damaging the tire. I don't have similar first-hand guidance from another manufacturer, but suspect the same issues would affect other brands if Michelin has the concern.

For your sitiuation, I suggest you consider Conti DWS or Michelin AS3. AS3 is closer to PSS performance in the dry, but not as capable as DWS in the light snow. I just installed AS3 on my Track Package car and they feel great! Check out tirerack.com ratings.

EDIT FOR POOR WRITING THE FIRST TIME....COMPARISON IS TO DWS!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-05-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Agreed, in TX the AS3 is a great choice. Around me in New England you need to go to performance snows. North of Mass I would suggest studless snows.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Agreed, in TX the AS3 is a great choice. Around me in New England you need to go to performance snows. North of Mass I would suggest studless snows.
Yes, AS3 are turning out to be a great go-to tire anywhere other than a Miami/SoCal kind of environment where one can always enjoy PSS.

I've skipped right over the performance winter category in Southeast Michigan. When "that time of the year" comes around, I just give up and figure I want all the grip I can get and don't bother looking for any driving entertainment for a couple of months. Blizzak WS80 are my usual, as soft and squishy as they are, but they allow me to enjoy RWD the rest of the year and never even think about getting stuck in winter. Some folks with performance winter have bumped up against the lower traction capability.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #28
boostaddict305
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Snow tires are almost a must around here in the winter but I have to say these p7 all seasons did surprisingly well in the snow
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #29
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I ran General Altimax Arctic tires...they were cheap and surprisingly good.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #30
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********305 View Post
Snow tires are almost a must around here in the winter but I have to say these p7 all seasons did surprisingly well in the snow
Agreed! I was surprised as well! Really held their own!
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)
Appreciate 0