THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Is a servicing plan worth it?

03-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
CHarrisMedia
Rep
Drives: 218i M-Sport Auto

Is a servicing plan worth it?

So my 218i isn't due for a service for 11,000 more miles, currently it's sitting at around 7k miles, I'm just thinking ahead.

I've enquired about the service plan and have been quoted £1,350 as I'll be doing 72k miles in it, here's what's included

Would I save a lots amount of money doing it myself? I posted on Reddit and a user said after buying the parts etc, it wouldn't be much cheaper. I'm fairly careful with repairs/maintenance, tend to do my research and take my time but as this model of car is fairly new am struggling with finding DIY videos, instructions and tips.

Interested to hear what others think is best?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Bonding Moment

Take the opportunity and do the maintenance yourself - treat it as a bonding moment with your 2.
Plus you can use better oil & better brakes than OEM.

As for filters - save even more than BMW OEM and get Mann.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Don’t forget to reset the CBS for these repairs/maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I have no idea where you live, but if it is near a highly rated independent BMW shop it is my experience that is is far more advantageous to develop a relationship with one of these shops with a carefully thought out regular maintenance schedule, before the car eventually needs any type of repair. Around these parts the independents charge 20% less that the dealerships and they are staffed with mostly former factory trained mechanics. A good relationship with an excellent mechanic is more piece of mind that any standard prepaid maintenance program. And if disaster ever strikes, you have someone working with you to fix your car, as opposed to looking at you as just one more whinny one-time customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
CHarrisMedia
Rep
Drives: 218i M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
Don’t forget to reset the CBS for these repairs/maintenance.
I have an WiFi OBD device to access the Car's ECU's etc, I'm assuming I can reset this through that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Take the opportunity and do the maintenance yourself - treat it as a bonding moment with your 2.
Plus you can use better oil & better brakes than OEM.

As for filters - save even more than BMW OEM and get Mann.

I'm also heavily thinking about doing the maintenance myself but am struggling to find good sources that show/list what exactly I'd need.

The manual simply says to take to the dealership and recommends BMW oil, I also see lots of oil change tutorials on this forum but many are for M cars which I'm unsure would be different from my 218?

Also does anybody know if this would affect warranty/problems when I return the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHarrisMedia View Post
I have a WiFi OBD device to access the Car's ECU's etc, I'm assuming I can reset this through that?
There is a simple procedure which can be accomplished by these steps.

1. Without pressing the brake/clutch, press the start/stop button
2. Wait for the service reminder to disappear
3. Press and hold the odometer reset button. You will notice your trip meter reset and then go back to the value it once was. Keep holding for a couple more seconds

At this point, service values that can be reset will come up. Use the odometer reset button to scroll through the menu.

4. At the value, you want to reset, press and hold the odometer reset button. "Reset possible" will change to "Reset?"
5. Press and hold odometer reset button again until the value is reset
6. Press the start/stop button to start the car or turn off the car

There are lots of videos showing this procedure step by step such as these:

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

OP if you have any question in regards to doing the services your self feel free to send me a PM and i would gladly help you or give you any sort of tips.

If your looking for service information and how to do replace some of it You can use the link i provided below.
General maint on these cars is pretty straight forward. Any questions just ask here or PM me is fine.

Basically only hand tools you will need to do the repairs are The oil filter wrench/cap to remove the filter, 17mm socket with ratchet for the drain plug.
BMW 12 point socket for the spark plugs (can buy these from the dealer or other vendors like Turnermotorsports) Torx20mm and Torx30mm sockets with a ratchet, flash light/trouble light and tire inflator and gauge.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      04-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
OP if you have any question in regards to doing the services your self feel free to send me a PM and i would gladly help you or give you any sort of tips.

If your looking for service information and how to do replace some of it You can use the link i provided below.
General maint on these cars is pretty straight forward. Any questions just ask here or PM me is fine.

Basically only hand tools you will need to do the repairs are The oil filter wrench/cap to remove the filter, 17mm socket with ratchet for the drain plug.
BMW 12 point socket for the spark plugs (can buy these from the dealer or other vendors like Turnermotorsports) Torx20mm and Torx30mm sockets with a ratchet, flash light/trouble light and tire inflator and gauge.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Thanks for that link.
Appreciate 1
Taunto281.50
      04-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
biz4two
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 f22 n20 228i

Arrow

OP --- Well it all depends.

How competent do you feel doing an oil change? Do you have the necessary tools?

IMHO...there are some excellent diy oil change video's on uTube for the f22 n20 228i.

Again, IMHO, waiting the recommended oil change interval that BMW expects is just to long. Either 5000 or 7500 miles for peace of mind.

Good luck!!

biz
Appreciate 0