THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m235 dinan major problem

10-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
stoonbmw3
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328 sport xdrive

m235 dinan major problem

Hello Forum, I'm just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the issues I have encountered with my vehicle and Dinan upgrades. I have a 2016 m235 xDrive with MPE, Dinan CAI, and S2 software.

Initially, the vehicle operated inconsistently, so I had to take it back to the dealer several times until they diagnosed a waste gate issue. The only code I was getting at that time was the Drivetrain Malfunction, but the turbo would screetch and rattle as opposed to the normal "whistle", and the power would be very low. While I don't think I ever consistently achieved full output from the Dinan tuning, the dealer was able to stop the drivetrain warning and the weird turbo sound.

Lately, I have encountered a new problem with the Dinan software. All safety systems (e.g. tire pressure, airbags, collision mitigation, etc.), plus the drivetrain malfunction would flash warnings, and then the car would eventually lose all power and go into neutral. The dealer first tightened some wiring, but I am having the problem again. Needless to say, this is a major issue and quite a concern. The plan is now to replace the electrical harness.

Has anyone else had these problems?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Ft_LaudM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I have the same setup with no problems. However when I did encounter an issue the tech support from DINAN was nothing short of amazing!! They actually answer the phone, are very knowledgeable, and worked with me and the dealer and resolved the issue. Since then I have invested more in DINAN products partly bc of the way stand behind their product!! They are also on this forum and often chime in! Give them a ring..... I hope it all works out!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Man that has to be stressful. There is the possibility that it's not Dinan related. Could be a defect with the ECU from the factory or another electrical issue. Maybe even the transmission software.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
stoonbmw3
Rep

Thanks for the responses! Dinan is sending a new electrical harness, which will apparently fix the problem. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so I will update this thread once I get the vehicle back. In the interim, I will call Dinan and just ensure that I am getting the correct information from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
MartyMcFly88MPH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix

I have had constant problems. Trying to work it out right now and will report back shortly.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I've had my Stage 3 for over 2 years. Not one single issue fortunately.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
Im actually dealing with this as well. Similar issue but the BMW dealer are being a holes about it.

I have a dinan stage 3 with CAI Inter-cooler. 6 speed manual. 32k miles.
I installed all this when the car had about 3k miles on it, never had any issues until a month ago with that drivetrain malfunction going into gimp mode error. Dealer changed out MAF and then a day later got the CEl and same error messages on screen. This morning the car went totally nuts Weird tapping noises from what seems to be the fuel lines going to the injectors. the car did the same thing, went into full gimp mode, then stalled on me when i put it in neutral. I was able to get it started again and get it home. Now the BMW Dealer literally shut down on me. said i need to put my car back to stock before they will diagnose again....

What really pises me off is they said my MAF was full of oil because of my Dinan air filter, which is BS of course because dinan filters dont have oil on them like a K&M does....do they? according to my Dinan tuner they dont have oil. So the freaking dealer has litteraly shut down and taken the easy way out and blamed it on the tune

The one saving grace (i Hope) is that i had an authorized Dinan Shop install my tunes for me. So im going to go that route and hope for the best. Lets see IF Dinan will live up to their end of the bargain regarding warranty. Dinan shop said they are talking directly with Dinan now. He did say one way or another we will get it taken care of....thats somewhat comforting i guess. Oh and his original Diagnosis was a Fuel pump issue not a MAF which sounds right to me too.

Bummer too because i JUST got my fabspeed exhaust yesterday!I was going to install it this weekend
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usabia View Post
Im actually dealing with this as well. Similar issue but the BMW dealer are being a holes about it.

I installed all this when the car had about 3k miles on it, never had any issues until a month ago with that drivetrain malfunction going into gimp mode error. Dealer changed out MAF and then a day later got the CEl and same error messages on screen. This morning the car went totally nuts Weird tapping noises from what seems to be the fuel lines going to the injectors. the car did the same thing, went into full gimp mode, then stalled on me when i put it in neutral. I was able to get it started again and get it home. Now the BMW Dealer literally shut down on me. said i need to put my car back to stock before they will diagnose again....

What really pises me off is they said my MAF was full of oil because of my Dinan air filter, which is BS of course because dinan filters dont have oil on them like a K&M does....do they? according to my Dinan tuner they dont have oil. So the freaking dealer has litteraly shut down and taken the easy way out and blamed it on the tune

The one saving grace (i Hope) is that i had an authorized Dinan Shop install my tunes for me. So im going to go that route and hope for the best. Lets see IF Dinan will live up to their end of the bargain regarding warranty. Dinan shop said they are talking directly with Dinan now. He did say one way or another we will get it taken care of....thats somewhat comforting i guess. Oh and his original Diagnosis was a Fuel pump issue not a MAF which sounds right to me too.

Bummer too because i JUST got my fabspeed exhaust yesterday!I was going to install it this weekend
It's probably the best to go to a BMW dealer that's also a Dinan dealer... that way they would have to fix it no matter what and you only take the car to one place....
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
It's probably the best to go to a BMW dealer that's also a Dinan dealer... that way they would have to fix it no matter what and you only take the car to one place....
I wish i could but i live in a city with a single Dinan tuner and a single BMW dealer lol. The next nearest dealer from me is in Pheonix about 120 miles away. Ill figure it out one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
This would be, without a single doubt, be my strongest piece of advice to folks going the Dinan route. You pay more for the warranty vs other vendors, that's one thing, but beyond that getting it done at the BMW dealer / Dinan authorized installer it makes life so much easier. In my case I literally go to Thomson if anything happens and say "Hey, Matt. My car no work. Fix please." And that's the end of it as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
I wish i could but i live in a city with a single Dinan tuner and a single BMW dealer lol. The next nearest dealer from me is in Pheonix about 120 miles away. Ill figure it out one way or another.
Might be worth a drive, for install at least. A LOT of dealers will come to your house to get your car and leave you with a loaner. The place I got my cars from does that for clients up to 400 miles away.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      10-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #11
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

I'm assuming you are dealing with Independent Import just by your location. JP will work with the warranty department and get whatever it is resolved. Arizona dealerships are by far some of the most hard nosed dealers in the country. Not sure if its the heat, dry air, or what but something breeds "being difficult" in the desert.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41904.00
JL1002133.50
hz101169.50
      10-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
Might be worth a drive, for install at least. A LOT of dealers will come to your house to get your car and leave you with a loaner. The place I got my cars from does that for clients up to 400 miles away.[/QUOTE]

Well, problem with that is. the first time this happened I was actually driving to Phoenix for a work meeting. That's the first time I got the CEL. 84mph down I10 in cruise control. I ended up at Chapman BMW who after 15 minutes The adviser (Steve O? I think was his name.) came back and said something like:

"this has aftermarket tuning parts on it. Every time we see this we are supposed to report this back to BMW US which flags your warranty. But I'm going to do you a favor and not report it to BMW, but we aren't going to diagnose your vehicle" I pressed him as to why this was the case, and that I thought Dinan and BMW had an friendly relationship. The Service adviser stated something like "We used to, until Dinan started selling ALL of their items to the general public rather than forcing them to have authorized Dinan Technicians/dealers. Which led to a bunch of shade tree mechanics thinking they could do it them selves and F their cars up".

His words not mine Dinan! LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I'm assuming you are dealing with Independent Import just by your location. JP will work with the warranty department and get whatever it is resolved. Arizona dealerships are by far some of the most hard nosed dealers in the country. Not sure if its the heat, dry air, or what but something breeds "being difficult" in the desert.
Yep JP at Independent BMW service, great guy. That's the only saving grace in this thing, I trust him and I know he wont leave me out in the cold. He suggested I take it back to the dealer one more time and speak with a certain adviser. I'm actually here now, they are making me authorize a $140.00 diag fee. Unless they actually DO find it is a warranty repair oh well, we'll see where this takes us.

And your right about these dealers in AZ. the entire state in general is like that lol. Allthough Tucson is the last kind of, reasonable and level headed oasis left in AZ

BMW Tucson didn't used to be this way until Autonation bought them out. They were totally cool with JP and had a close relationship with him back then. Not anymore unfortunately

Ill keep you guys posted.

thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
stoonbmw3
Rep

Hey guys,

The dealership installed the new electrical harness from Dinan and the car is way better than before. There are no longer any faults and the car is quite a bit faster and more responsive. The only downside is that my driving is not more responsive, so I need to be careful... especially with the cooler pavement. Obviously the Dinan software was not operating at peak when it was initially installed. That said, I am extremely happy with the vehicle right now.

I think this is a lesson for new BMW/Dinan drivers. I had a 2014 328 xDrive previously and probably thought the m235 was fast, even if the tune wasn't working properly. Ideally, the car should be measured after the tune.... and don't hesitate to speak with Dinan directly if you feel there might be a power issue, or any issue for that matter.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00