THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Enhancing Desire: The Sporty BMW 2 Series Coupe, Cabrio, M235i, M2, Sedan Gran Coupe

04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
Not liking the route of having several different models/series
Seriously, just stick to 1,3,5,6,7,x3,x5,x6 and z
The 2,4 and x1 seem pointless to me.
+1

I really hate the 2 series and 4 series names. M235i sounds awful. I think M4 is the worst though, simply unforgivable.
      04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The front of the 1er has not been universally accepted by a minority
understatement of the decade
      04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
I love what BMW is doing right now
You wouldn't happen to be the CEO of Audi or Mercedes would you?
      04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

No Big Surprise Here

I don't think there is much evidence of excessive model proliferation here.

It is safe to have expected a 228i and a 235i for some time to replace the current 128i and 135i coupes and convertibles. The M235 could reasonably replace the M1 coupe.

Now that the 3 series has inevitably creeped up in dimensions there is even more ability to have a slighly roomier and comfortable smaller BMW. Let's just hope they keep the weight down and the 1-series headlights away.

The only thing here that would be news would be some kind of 2 series gran coupe. It seems unlikely as the car would already be narrow and short. I can't imagine how it could also have a low roofline and a long silhoutte. There wouldn't be room for four people inside it!

Cheers!

~~~~NPD2983
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Loved the simplicity of BMW from exterior and interior design to even the models/cars themselves but I think this is just overkill with all these extensions. Ahh well. BMW has to got to do what they got to do. As long as their product is better than the competition, I won't be going anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
understatement of the decade
Yeah, I like how he worded that.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

fixed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
[I]** Admin Edit:

The front of the 1er has not been universally accepted by anyone
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #30
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm
Anyone consider that perhaps BMW is trying to reclame the 1-series badge for a future supercar? Guy can dream can't he?
Or to repurpose it for the small FWD model they're rumored to be planning.
I like my idea better...
      04-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Go ahead and squash the "GT" cars though, instead, offer 335i and m3 versions of the F31 (wagon) and 550i and M5 versions of the F11 (wagon) in the US please. I'd lay money you'll sell every single one you bring over...
Amen brother! I agree 100%. An M3 version of the F31 would be a dream come true. I'd take any of the models you proposed. KILL the GT now!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #32
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I'm pretty sure my 135i which has premium package, sport package and cold weather package wasn't necessarily cheap. Either that, or everyone here is making way too much money
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
BUT at what point are you diminishing the premium portion of your brand? Everyone I work with calls the 1 series the BMW for people who can't afford a BMW, I have to agree.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, serious but I strongly disagree. A base 128i here in Canada is already $36,000. Add in the premium package at the least and it prices over $42k (not including costs/taxes). We won't even discuss a 135. $42k for a 1-Series. You could get a base 320/323/328, a "real" BMW with that kind of money.

Your statement is categorizing what BMW should be, not what it is. If anything the 1-Series is becoming, if not already, the car BMW has always been known for - sporty and compact that has that raw driving feel (see: 1M), not like the other BMW models that are getting more and more computer-influenced each generation. I don't know how it is there but people who drive a 1-Series here are labelled many things but not being able to afford a "real" BMW isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #33
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
+1.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, serious but I strongly disagree. A base 128i here in Canada is already $36,000. Add in the premium package at the least and it prices over $42k (not including costs/taxes). We won't even discuss a 135. $42k for a 1-Series. You could get a base 320/323/328, a "real" BMW with that kind of money.

Your statement is categorizing what BMW should be, not what it is. If anything the 1-Series is becoming, if not already, the car BMW has always been known for - sporty and compact that has that raw driving feel (see: 1M), not like the other BMW models that are getting more and more computer-influenced each generation. I don't know how it is there but people who drive a 1-Series here are labelled many things but not being able to afford a "real" BMW isn't one of them.
As BMW owners I think we all know that the 1-series are "real" Bimmers. I actually think the e82 is the true successor to the e46 in terms of its soul. But I think there is a perception among non-car people that if you buy the smallest/lower numbered/lower lettered designation car of a luxury brand, you couldn't afford anything higher. Now we all know that is bogus, but there are a lot of haters out there.

A friend of mine just picked up a 135... and man that thing is fun to drive. If the 1M was out and easily available when I picked up my M3, I would have had a really hard decision to make.

Anyway, back on topic... I hope this all works out for BMW, but I feel like the history is being lost with these newer models in a way. To get a car like the e30 3 series you have to get a 1 or 2 series now. The f30 3 series is almost the size of the older 5 series. Don't get me started on the potential "M4."
      04-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Words cannot describe how much I hate that stupid headlights of the current 1er. I am all for the "idea" of the 2 series, but it better not carry that same front end.

Also, as far as I'm concerned BMW never really took advantage of the opportunity to (re-)capture the enthusiasts' heart with the 1er, given that they are very much set on turning the 3er into the 5er of two generations ago.

Wouldn't it be only logical to then turn the 1er into something more like the old-school 3er, with more engaging dynamics, less insulation / weight, and more aggressive chassis tuning? But that's not what BMW has done, instead they seem to be very much focused on making sure the 1er DOESN'T drive like a small car that it is.

So if the 2 series really materializes, here is hoping that it would be a purer, more engaging expression of the BMW-ness, sans the stupid headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #35
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Still waiting for the Z2. Is that dead now?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Words cannot describe how much I hate that stupid headlights of the current 1er. I am all for the "idea" of the 2 series, but it better not carry that same front end.

Also, as far as I'm concerned BMW never really took advantage of the opportunity to (re-)capture the enthusiasts' heart with the 1er, given that they are very much set on turning the 3er into the 5er of two generations ago.

Wouldn't it be only logical to then turn the 1er into something more like the old-school 3er, with more engaging dynamics, less insulation / weight, and more aggressive chassis tuning? But that's not what BMW has done, instead they seem to be very much focused on making sure the 1er DOESN'T drive like a small car that it is.

So if the 2 series really materializes, here is hoping that it would be a purer, more engaging expression of the BMW-ness, sans the stupid headlights.
Yeah, you can thank EU and US safety regulations for that. Added weight over the years has mostly been because of stricter safety regulation laws, thus making even "small" cars weigh more and perform less than they should.

Now if you're looking for something more "pure" then that's where the ///M division comes in. You're going to have to pay a premium if you want a sports car you can daily drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #37
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I'm excited to hear that BMW is considering a 2-series GC. I think there is absolutely a market for a compact sedan the size of the E46, and if BMW doesn't make one, then buyers like myself will look elsewhere. To me, a 2-series GC does not compete with the F30 (or C-class or A4).

Unfortunately, it sounds like any possible 2-series GC is at least 3-4 years away from ever seeing the light of day, which is well beyond the time that we will need to relace our aging E46 with a comparably sized car. Regardless, this is good news for the segment.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #38
Rx:BMW
Rep
Drives: Nonbmw=(

Ahhh!! M2 undergoing intense discussion??? LOL details please!! Must... Know... More...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #39
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
As long as they don't put the fugly 1-series hatch lights on it, they will have a good starting point.
I reckon this will be unavoidable with them borrowing heavily (if not in entirety) from the 1 series. Was the case with previous 1 series + current coupe / vert. Prove me wrong BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #40
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post

Reviews generally stated the older 1 series to be up there with the best in terms of driver involvement which I'm sure has only been improved upon in the latest iteration. Most don't want a hardcore performance car but want 'eco-modes', soft suspension (to counter run-flats), cheaper maintenance costs etc. Performance junkies had the 130i and soon to arrive M135i. And as to dumping internal insulation - no thanks, I'd rather have it to further supress any inevitable rattles and creaks. When the 1 series goes FWD, then things change from a more driver-focussed car, granted. But there would be lower drivetrain power loss, and better fuel economy, lower emissions. Plus no transmission tunnel knocking out a 5th occupant - unless this has been improved upon in current iteration. This is what the target market generally wants.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #41
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
Not liking the route of having several different models/series
Seriously, just stick to 1,3,5,6,7,x3,x5,x6 and z
The 2,4 and x1 seem pointless to me.
the x1 is actually a really useful car- i want a crossover between an estate and an X3- purrrrfect
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #42
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

The 2 series range seem an obvious renaming exercise in view of the expected precedence of the 3 series coupe becoming a 4 series. As to body styles, again natural to expect a coupe and cabrio. A 4 door saloon is being considered as likely to need to compete with the A3 and A class in the Chinese market. Only really excited by the prospect of a z2. As to the fwd 1 series I suppose they wish to compete against the successful A1 and make greater economies of the Mini platform and engines. All this is rather good for customers as we are getting more choice from all this competition to fill ever more niches.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #43
BaileyBei
///M
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 alpine white

I wonder wat the hell r BMW thinking. Just keep confusing the consumers by expanding the line. Upcoming 3 series coupe n conv named 4 series. 1 series coupe n conv named as 2 series. hate that thought. Would buy a all new M3 coupe or conv which named M4? I def not going to buy one if they do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #44
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBei View Post
I wonder wat the hell r BMW thinking. Just keep confusing the consumers by expanding the line. Upcoming 3 series coupe n conv named 4 series. 1 series coupe n conv named as 2 series. hate that thought. Would buy a all new M3 coupe or conv which named M4? I def not going to buy one if they do so.
i actually think they're helping the market- they are defining that when you buy a 1 series, its a 5 door car, when you buy a 2 series, its a 3 door car.

as opposed to now, when you buy a 1 series, you either have an F20 for 5 door, or F21 for 3 door.

makes sense to me. they're not making more cars, just refining the difference between the models.

for us, its just the pain point of changing how we look at the BMW ecosystem- for new buyers, it makes it simpler to see the options.
Appreciate 0