THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Are the BMW 230i back head constraints removable?

05-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Are the BMW 230i back head constraints removable?

Are the BMW 230i back head constraints removable? I removed mine in both my BMW 128i vehicle and now the last almost 3 year in my BMW 228i as no one sits in my back seat and being that I am 4'10" tall, I wanted to have nothing block my view. I have had no blind spots in my car and I love the drive but I will never have black seats again. I will be getting light seats in my next car. Thank you everyone in advance for reading my post and anyone with any knowledge replying.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I'm guessing here, but I'm going to say yes because the 230i is just a 228i with a different engine. At least it is for 2017. They're making interior changes for 2018, but I suspect the seats will be the same, only the gauge cluster might change a bit. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
      05-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
There has been a thread on this and the consensus was yes, but with difficulty, and some difference of opinion re convertibles. On the latter it is certainly not made easy and you need to be sure that you will never, ever, have a convertible back seat passenger if their headrest is removed. This is because the roll-over mechanism ejects bars behind the rear passengers heads in the event of the car turning over. Your personal liability would be huge if someone was injured/killed as a result of your removing the rear headrests in such circumstances. Not to mention how bad you'd feel about it. I agree that the 'vert with the top down looks better without the rear headrests and it's easier to see through the fabric rear window. But I just don't trust myself or my wife to make sure the headrests were put back in if we gave someone a lift at short notice.
      05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
There has been a thread on this and the consensus was yes, but with difficulty, and some difference of opinion re convertibles. On the latter it is certainly not made easy and you need to be sure that you will never, ever, have a convertible back seat passenger if their headrest is removed. This is because the roll-over mechanism ejects bars behind the rear passengers heads in the event of the car turning over. Your personal liability would be huge if someone was injured/killed as a result of your removing the rear headrests in such circumstances. Not to mention how bad you'd feel about it. I agree that the 'vert with the top down looks better without the rear headrests and it's easier to see through the fabric rear window. But I just don't trust myself or my wife to make sure the headrests were put back in if we gave someone a lift at short notice.
Good point, I didn't realize that. Good to know as my grandkids love riding in the rear seat. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Yes, they are completely removable. You just need to yank really hard on them and they will come out. There have been a couple threads about this over the past 6 months. I had mine out for a while and was carrying them around in a bag in the rear seat foot well as a reminder to put them back, in the extremely rare instance I might have a rear seat passenger. I replaced them a few weeks ago and I am undecided if I like my car better with them or without them, but I am leaning toward removing and storing them again.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0