THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum no temp gauge in the M235?!!!

02-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Oh my gosh, how will you guys manage?!?

The same way you managed with E90's. LOL

haha yea its been like this for a while now. I think the last car that had a temp gauge was my E36 M3

02-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #46
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Oh my gosh, how will you guys manage?!?

The same way you managed with E90's. LOL
I managed with this on my 335i e90. If I ever needed to see mpg I could flip through the control messages or see it in the idrive. I didn't need a gauge for that.

Name:  2011-bmw-3-series-2-door-coupe-335i-rwd-instrument-cluster_100316935_l.jpg
Views: 5920
Size:  97.4 KB

Last edited by five3three; 02-26-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #47
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

If I was American I'd be PO'ed at having my speedo littered with the secondary km/hr markings, looks awful. Wonder why they do it....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
If I was American I'd be PO'ed at having my speedo littered with the secondary km/hr markings, looks awful. Wonder why they do it....
Just to remind us that we're using a stupid measurement.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #49
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just to remind us that we're using a stupid measurement.
+1.

None of our measurements make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #50
italia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars:German|Motorbikes:Italian

I remember being told as a student in the early 70's that we were only a few years away from totally adopting the metric system in the US.
'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #51
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Never seen people in more of an uproar over more of an inconsequential thing. "I'm never going to buy a BMW again because of a gauge!" Seriously?? Its called compromise people. If they included an oil temp and not a MPG gauge someone else would be in an uproar. Does the car drive well? Does it put a smile on your face? THAT is what matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #52
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
Never seen people in more of an uproar over more of an inconsequential thing. "I'm never going to buy a BMW again because of a gauge!" Seriously?? Its called compromise people. If they included an oil temp and not a MPG gauge someone else would be in an uproar. Does the car drive well? Does it put a smile on your face? THAT is what matters.
More like death by 1,000 cuts. Would the lack of a temp gauge be the one and only thing stopping me from buying a 235 or an M2? No. But, between this, the fake engine noise, the 4-cylinder, the ever-increasing weight and size, the attention they seem to be paying to superficial things (like whoring M badges all over a non-M car), and a bunch of other little details...

I am still holding out hope they don't put a I4T in the M2, but that will be the main reason I don't buy it. I think BMW is pushing me toward buying a Porsche Cayman S for my next fun car instead of an M2.
      02-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #53
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
More like death by 1,000 cuts. Would the lack of a temp gauge be the one and only thing stopping me from buying a 235 or an M2? No. But, between this, the fake engine noise, the 4-cylinder, the ever-increasing weight and size, the attention they seem to be paying to superficial things (like whoring M badges all over a non-M car), and a bunch of other little details...

I am still holding out hope they don't put a I4T in the M2, but that will be the main reason I don't buy it. I think BMW is pushing me toward buying a Porsche Cayman S for my next fun car instead of an M2.
Overall reviews of active sound are good. It augments sound when you want sound and keeps the car quiet when you don't. Do you just dislike the idea? Have you actually ever been in a car with active sound? I'll give you a tip, you have no idea it has it. Get used to it. Porsche, MB, Ford, Chevy, whatever, they all do it.

The 4 Cylinder? Why hate on a car because its 4/6/8/10/12? The BMW I4 in their 80's turbo F1 era made over 1400 hp in qualifying trim. If the thing revs to the moon and makes ton of power who cares? The 2002, which was the first car to really be a hit in the US was powered by a 4 cylinder. The 2002 turbo was a turbo I4 and universally loved. What happens when Porsche makes a wonderful 4 cylinder Cayman?

Weight? Did you not notice that the M4 and M3 are the first generation of M cars to ever lose weight? I would expect the M2 to follow suit. And, the 2 Series is the same size and weight as the beloved E46. Whats wrong now?

As for the badges, how about a history lesson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(E12) "These Motorsport E12's (M535i) are often considered the first production models that the BMW Motorsport division ever produced". M-lite or M Performance Automobiles predate true "pure" M cars. BMW has been utilizing the M badge for longer than you've been buying BMW's.

TD:LR Everything you are complaining about is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #54
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Overall reviews of active sound are good. It augments sound when you want sound and keeps the car quiet when you don't. Do you just dislike the idea? Have you actually ever been in a car with active sound? I'll give you a tip, you have no idea it has it. Get used to it. Porsche, MB, Ford, Chevy, whatever, they all do it.

The 4 Cylinder? Why hate on a car because its 4/6/8/10/12? The BMW I4 in their 80's turbo F1 era made over 1400 hp in qualifying trim. If the thing revs to the moon and makes ton of power who cares? The 2002, which was the first car to really be a hit in the US was powered by a 4 cylinder. The 2002 turbo was a turbo I4 and universally loved. What happens when Porsche makes a wonderful 4 cylinder Cayman?

Weight? Did you not notice that the M4 and M3 are the first generation of M cars to ever lose weight? I would expect the M2 to follow suit. And, the 2 Series is the same size and weight as the beloved E46. Whats wrong now?

As for the badges, how about a history lesson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(E12) "These Motorsport E12's (M535i) are often considered the first production models that the BMW Motorsport division ever produced". M-lite or M Performance Automobiles predate true "pure" M cars. BMW has been utilizing the M badge for longer than you've been buying BMW's.

TD:LR Everything you are complaining about is wrong.
If they put a 4-cylinder in the Cayman S, I won't buy that either. Porsche = flat 6, except no substitutes. My first sportscar was a Z28 Camaro with a SBC V8 in it. So, that set the bar for all my subsequent cars. Must have the torks down low or no go. Next came a couple VR6's from Volkwagen (mk3 VR6 GTI, followed by a mk 4 R32), then I went to the 135 and it's twin turbo goodness. Can you understand why I don't want to step down to a 4 cylinder? I don't care if it revs to the moon, I will not buy one. The dynamics of a 4 cylinder are fundamentally different from an inline 6. I own a 4 cylinder now in my Taco, I don't want one in a $50k plus sportscar. I was looking at an Audi TT-s when I was shopping for the 1er, you know what turned me off about the TT-S, I can tell you it wasn't the looks or performance... It was that damn 2.0T they stuck in there.

The short list of my next cars is looking like, Porsche Cayman S, Corvette C7, or the M2 (until they started talking about 4 cylinders). The M4 is out, it's ugly and too big, I don't want a big car, I don't need a back seat...

The E88 135i was the absolute sweet spot for me between size, power, and weight and I am looking to replace that in about a year and I want it to be an upgrade, not a sidegrade or downgrade... I don't care what BMW's marketing spin is, a 4-cylinder is a downgrade in my opinion and (based on the poll taken right here at Bimmerpost) at least 60% of prospective M2 buyers want an I-6. 4-banger is a dealbreaker.
      02-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #55
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:

1. I absolutely hate the idea of not having an oil gauge.
2. I hate the M badges.
3. I hate the mpg indicator and think it's pointless.
4. I also don't think it's the prettiest and most elegant coupe.
5. The glove box feels cheap as crap and left me shocked at the flimsiness of it.
6. I am not a big fan of the silver side view mirrors.
7. I hate the idea of pre-recorded soundtracks coming through the speakers.

But, I ordered one and am definitely looking forward to it. As long as it's powerful enough, drives nicely and takes the daily punishment of a lead foot driver like myself then I'll be happy to have it for a few years.

For me, to lease it, those weren't deal breakers I guess. But, if I were to buy and want to hold on to for a long time, I'd think long and hard before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #56
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
2. I hate the M badges.
5. The glove box feels cheap as crap and left me shocked at the flimsiness of it.

But, I ordered one and am definitely looking forward to it. As long as it's powerful enough, drives nicely and takes the daily punishment of a lead foot driver like myself then I'll be happy to have it for a few years.

For me, to lease it, those weren't deal breakers I guess. But, if I were to buy and want to hold on to for a long time, I'd think long and hard before pulling the trigger.
Dats what I'm talkin' about.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #57
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
The E88 135i was the absolute sweet spot for me between size, power, and weight and I am looking to replace that in about a year and I want it to be an upgrade, not a sidegrade or downgrade... I don't care what BMW's marketing spin is, a 4-cylinder is a downgrade in my opinion and (based on the poll taken right here at Bimmerpost) at least 60% of prospective M2 buyers want an I-6. 4-banger is a dealbreaker.
Right, so if your M2 was 1. Lighter 2. More Powerful 3. Had more torque 4. And even got better gas mileage, by your standards the car would be an upgrade. But, you still wouldn't want it because the perception that a 4 cylinder is a "downgrade". Ok.

It is also quite obvious that you do care what BMW's marketing spin is based on your previous post where you bemoan the proliferation of M badges
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #58
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have stated this before, but this thread is pretty long, so maybe you missed it. A 4cyl turbo, even if it exceeds the capabilities of the tuned N54 they put in the 1M, it likely to be maxed out. There is only so much you can squeeze out of 4 cylinders, and they are likely to have squeezed all they can...

The beauty of the N54 is how much untapped potential was left on the table. A simple $700 tune could get you and extra 100hp. That's nuts!! If they go with a I-4T in the M2 is will likely be bested by a 235i with a tune. Also, as I have said before, I do not like the engine dynamics of an I4, I have driven an N20 328i and it was smooth, but you have to rev the hell out of it to get any power... My I-6T has peak torque on tap at 2k RPM, most of the time, I don't have to downshift out of 6th to pass someone on the freeway.

Maybe you think it foolish to dismiss a car because if the engine choice but I buy a car as much for the engine than for the stats and looks. And an I-4T has about zero appeal to me. Good luck BMW if they go this route, but I'm not interested.
      02-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #59
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

I sat in a Cayman for the first time last week at the Dallas Auto Show. It's so freakin TINY in there. I'm sure it's an amazing car, but I'd feel completely claustrophobic in one of those things.

JB
      02-27-2014, 03:31 AM   #60
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Quote:
Americans are not the only ones that get both speedo markings.

The UK uses MPH and has secondary km/h markings for when driving over to the continent or Ireland. I guess Canadians are better at knowing the conversions without needing a secondary gauge for when they drive their cars to the US?

Last edited by darcivic00si; 02-27-2014 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #61
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcivic00si View Post
I guess Canadians are better at knowing the conversions without needing a secondary gauge for when they drive their cars to the US?
Nah, we just get the speeding tickets and rip 'em up since we don't lose points from US tickets...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #62
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Quote:
Nah, we just get the speeding tickets and rip 'em up since we don't lose points from US tickets...
lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #63
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
So I just test drove an M235 without the extended cluster...it didn't look as bad in the flesh as I thought it would.

It doesn't look great - but not awful either.

I might not be pissed for three years.
      02-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #64
DrFranknFurter
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
So I just test drove an M235 without the extended cluster...it didn't look as bad in the flesh as I thought it would.

It doesn't look great - but not awful either.

I might not be pissed for three years.
Good nothing worse than buyers remorse! not sure if I can afford to order a new one (Uk prices) but if I do i'll be very picky on the spec. Forgot to add DAB ditial radio to my Roc thinking I didn't need it as it has great iPod connectivity.. then the footy was on and i'm relagated to crap MW radio and it was only like £100 option
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #65
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
2. I hate the M badges.

Mpg matters in some countries lol where we need to actually think about petrol costs. Here a litre of fuel is £1.30 so about $2us. And yes you could buy a smaller engined car but people like best of both. Motorway I'd want mpg and track id want fast and fun.

As for oil temp, I don't care if it's got a guage, car will get driven for 5 mins or so until warm then it's ok.

And active sound is great. It's the sound of the engine without the sound of the road when on motorway etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #66
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

This is a little off topic, so my apologies. But on the subject of the Tech Package, is that required in order to connect to an iPhone for music, either via cable or bluetooth? Or is that capability part of the base package as well?
Appreciate 0