THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Track Package or Not?

10-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #1
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Track Package or Not?

I ordered a 228i Sport line (because I had to have the Valencia Orange and you can't get it in M Sport). I am going back and forth on the Track Handling Package and I have to make a final decision very soon before it goes into production. I have read that it makes the car very stiff and somewhat uncomfortable even in comfort mode. Those of you that have the Track Package, what do you think?
My build is VO, Sport Line, 18" Michelin PSS, Premium, Black/red highlight leather, Enhanced Bluetooth, HK sound and Alarm. Track Package or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I have an M Sport 228i. I think it strikes the right balance for a road car. I don't regret not getting the track package.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Definitely yes! My wife is sensitive to ride, as her daily driver is a Mercedes E Class. She complained about my prior C class (17" wheels) after I upgraded antisway bars. She is perfectly happy in the 2 in comfort mode, and the car still handles surprisingly well. When on my own, a switch to sport makes it a different experience! The added benefits of the MSport brakes and Michelin PSS tires make this an outstanding deal for $1600! One early reviewer compared the comfort setting to a luxury car ride and said the 2 had the widest range of ride comfort difference of any selectable suspension system.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

The adaptive suspension does not fee stiffer than the sport suspension.
For me it is the opposite so if you want more comfort get the track package.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. The PSS tires and 18" wheels are a wash because they come with the Sport line whether or not I choose the Track Package. It also comes with "M Sport suspension calibration" but I'm not really sure what that means. Sounds like just a stiffer sport suspension. If that's the case, the adaptive M Sport suspension that comes with the track package may just soften the ride in comfort mode and normal, less aggressive, driving which would be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Definitely yes! My wife is sensitive to ride, as her daily driver is a Mercedes E Class. She complained about my prior C class (17" wheels) after I upgraded antisway bars. She is perfectly happy in the 2 in comfort mode, and the car still handles surprisingly well. When on my own, a switch to sport makes it a different experience! The added benefits of the MSport brakes and Michelin PSS tires make this an outstanding deal for $1600! One early reviewer compared the comfort setting to a luxury car ride and said the 2 had the widest range of ride comfort difference of any selectable suspension system.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks for the replies. The PSS tires and 18" wheels are a wash because they come with the Sport line whether or not I choose the Track Package. It also comes with "M Sport suspension calibration" but I'm not really sure what that means. Sounds like just a stiffer sport suspension. If that's the case, the adaptive M Sport suspension that comes with the track package may just soften the ride in comfort mode and normal, less aggressive, driving which would be a good thing.
Are you sure the PSS tires come with Sport Line? They certainly didn't in 2014 (I tried).

In any case, I'm totally happy with my car with just Sport Line and no track pack. The ride is much better than in my 2007 328i w/ sport package, despite the bigger wheels and run-flat tires. (My 328i came with run-flat tires, but I replaced them with conventional because I thought they made the car feel like it was wearing clogs.)

The name "track pack" is a bit of hyperbole anyway. How does the adaptive suspension make the car more track worthy? Wouldn't a fixed sport suspension work just as well? The upgraded brakes and PSS tires would certainly help on a track, so there is that, but I still think the package is mostly marketing. If you want all the options in it, it's a good deal, but if you just want the PSS tires, it's not.

If it's at all possible drive a car with the non-adaptive sport suspension, definitely do. I was so surprised by the ride-handling balance right out of the box, I didn't see any value in the adaptive feature. Of course, I don't live in, say, Detroit, so it does depend on how beat up your roads are.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I'm going back and forth on this as well.

I think the biggest pluses are the better brakes and tires. The suspension is both good and bad. In theory, it should be able to be both more comfortable or stiffer than the normal sport suspension due to the adjustable shocks. But it is a LOT more to go wrong, and it will cost a fortune to replace those adjustable shocks when the time comes. Same with the steering, bound to be more expensive to fix when the time comes.

For me, this car will probably not be a keeper like my '11 wagon is, so I will probably go for a lot more toys on it, THP included. The wagon was intentionally ordered one step from being a stripper because I plan to keep it pretty much forever.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

I think you're probably right. I decided "yes" on the track package and "no" on the tech package. Your concerns are one of the big advantages of leasing. I don't need to factor in future repair and maintenance costs (or even long term reliability) because the car will be covered under warranty and free maintenance the whole time I have it. I also don't have to factor in resale value because in a lease BMW has already set the resale value (residual percentage). Are orange cars a fad? Maybe so, but I like them and if that color affects resale value down the road, I don't have to worry about it. I know people have strong feelings both ways about leasing, but I like the piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I'm going back and forth on this as well.

I think the biggest pluses are the better brakes and tires. The suspension is both good and bad. In theory, it should be able to be both more comfortable or stiffer than the normal sport suspension due to the adjustable shocks. But it is a LOT more to go wrong, and it will cost a fortune to replace those adjustable shocks when the time comes. Same with the steering, bound to be more expensive to fix when the time comes.

For me, this car will probably not be a keeper like my '11 wagon is, so I will probably go for a lot more toys on it, THP included. The wagon was intentionally ordered one step from being a stripper because I plan to keep it pretty much forever.
Appreciate 0