THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2-series cons/pros/bugs/observations

07-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #89
ingleberg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek9339 View Post
More of a question really,
How "tight" is this car, meaning does anyone have any creaks or rattles yet. I know it's a performance car with a stiffer suspension but we shouldn't have to tolerate these annoying noises.
My 09 328i w/ sport pkg and non-run flat tires is very noisy on a hot day... Cheap plastic that pops and creaks when I turn the a/c on

Just wondering about the M235i's built quality...especially the plastics.
I noticed an annoying rattle within hours of taking delivery. Figured out it's the plastic steering column cover... if I apply pressure to the top of it, the rattle stops. For now I've just been turning up the radio so I don't hear it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #90
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz42 View Post
I actually really like the audio controls. I find the wheel so useful I haven't had to program any presets for radio stations. I just really really wish the audio was on the left hand side of the wheel.
Just wondering, are all BMWs set up the same left vs. right-wise? Two Hondas I owned 5 years apart were set up left-right and right-left which seems kind of bizarre. It would be nice if it was standardized across all manufacturers so every car wasn't a learning experience. Maybe if someone did a study and decided it was a "safety" issue...

Last edited by Daddycat; 08-01-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:03 AM   #91
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-Miami View Post
just wanted to report on my multimedia problem.

this problem is exactly the same using a cable. keeps disconnecting. 100% not an iphone problem. i used this same ios and same iphone with the old car, never had an issue. USB keeps disconnecting the music too, extremely annoying, destroys all the driving pleasure totally. i dont know if i can wait until 1200 miles, will probably go to the dealer tomorrow to report a problem and ask them to fix.

what is even worse, disconnects are totally random, time inbetween disconnects is totally unpredictable, therefore it is even harder to say what causes it.

i so don't want to guve a car to repair, as our mechanics in sofl are total garbage, i know more than they do. only hope they don't make it worse, and don't scratch my car or leave oil spots inside while repairing (happens all the time)... oh boy, so upset.
does it happen with other phones too?
i don't have another phone, but it is clearly bmw problem. phone even keeps playing the song, not even paused. and as i said, i used this sane phone in many other places, no problem. why would I think the problem is in the phone, when it only happens when connected to this stupid software? and i hate volume controls at the right sude too! totally stupid change. left hand is always free, but they desided to place useless cruise controls on that side. not very much brain involved while designing a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #92
Ritz42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 & R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddycat View Post
Just wondering, are all BMWs set up the same left vs. right-wise? Two Hondas I owned 5 years apart were set up left-right and right-left which seems kind of bizarre. It would be nice if it was standardized across . Maybe if we someone did a study and decided it was a "safety" issue...
My only other experience with BMW's is really 2011 1ers, and they actually spilt the audio controls across both sides of the wheel. My Mini which is really just a bmw wearing a frock and driven by the front wheels has the audio controls on the left and the cruise controls on the right.

The only other brand I know of that does audio controls on the right and cruise controls on the left is Ford (OH GOSH PLEASE DON'T LOCK THIS THREAD SINCE I MENTIONED FORD ), but they aren't consistent with this across their lineup.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #93
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz42 View Post
The only other brand I know of that does audio controls on the right and cruise controls on the left is Ford (OH GOSH PLEASE DON'T LOCK THIS THREAD SINCE I MENTIONED FORD ), but they aren't consistent with this across their lineup.

My 2011 E90 had the volume controls on the left side.
Now I have to get used to it being on the right side; I, honestly, don't understand the logic behind it, the volume control itself on the radio is just a few inches farther to the right.
And another annoyance:
The volume control for voice commands/navigation - really??? When I am at the highway speeds with any outside noise present in the cabin - I like driving with the windows down, partially or fully - the navigation commands are so faint, to crank it up is a chore while on the move IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #94
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
2600 miles 228 Msport

No rattles at all

IPhone 5s works perfectly no disconnects at all using y cable
      08-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #95
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek9339
More of a question really,
How "tight" is this car, meaning does anyone have any creaks or rattles yet. I know it's a performance car with a stiffer suspension but we shouldn't have to tolerate these annoying noises.
My 09 328i w/ sport pkg and non-run flat tires is very noisy on a hot day... Cheap plastic that pops and creaks when I turn the a/c on

Just wondering about the M235i's built quality...especially the plastics.
I notice a sqeak where the tweeter should be (the empty plastic area where the mirror is)....not all the time but its there
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #96
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
i don't have another phone, but it is clearly bmw problem. phone even keeps playing the song, not even paused. and as i said, i used this sane phone in many other places, no problem. why would I think the problem is in the phone, when it only happens when connected to this stupid software? and i hate volume controls at the right sude too! totally stupid change. left hand is always free, but they desided to place useless cruise controls on that side. not very much brain involved while designing a car.
I would try another phone... might be that your phone is incompatible with the bmw software.... just try with a different kind of phone...

also you had bluetooth off in the phone when you had the interruptions?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #97
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I don't own a 2 series (yet) but little things that have held me back was the DSC+Sports thing, the plastic glove box (previously mentioned) and the fact they don't have the "ALL" setting on the dual climate. I absolutely cannot fathom why they removed that. My e90 has it and since I'm usually the only one in the car I hate having to dial both if I want inital cold (summar) or warm (in cold winter).

The homelink garage door thing is a pain in the arse, be nice to have an option to turn that on/off
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #98
park960
Rep

Seat Belts

Got the M235i last month (MW, Terra). Love the car. One issue I have is with the seat belts. They cut into my neck. When I test drove the car, I was wearing a collared shirt, so I didn't notice it. With a t-shirt on, it's a problem. I am 5' 10", so it's not a height issue. I've tried all seat positions - no help. The solution I used is a 3" seat belt extender from Seat Belt Extender Pros. It shifts the belt just enough to get it off my neck. I'm just wondering if others have had this problem and how they solved it. Many thanks...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #99
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
What gets me.

1 Radio scroll knob on steering wheel. Terrible idea. AND ITS ON THE WRONG SIDE. With a MT that is really annoying.
2 No grab handles above the door to get out or hold on.
3 Trim gap between the door grab handle and the back plastic.
4 BMW connected drive for Android. android allows a lot more Bluetooth control so BMW let us use it.
5 Big trunk (for this size car) VERY small opening.
6 no rear cup holders / arm rests.

I know that sounds like quite a few items, but overall I really love this car. It is so fast in 6th that I think I am in 4th. I am still getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #100
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by park960
Got the M235i last month (MW, Terra). Love the car. One issue I have is with the seat belts. They cut into my neck. When I test drove the car, I was wearing a collared shirt, so I didn't notice it. With a t-shirt on, it's a problem. I am 5' 10", so it's not a height issue. I've tried all seat positions - no help. The solution I used is a 3" seat belt extender from Seat Belt Extender Pros. It shifts the belt just enough to get it off my neck. I'm just wondering if others have had this problem and how they solved it. Many thanks...
I m not as tall as you but have the same issue

Can you link me to that extension thing??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #101
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

not sure if its been mentioned yet, but one thing i extremely dislike is how the door doesn't have a little handle. many of my passenger (1st timers) open the door and have nothing to grab on, so it swings to far out and either scrapes the bottom or the wall. the handle thats on it is very hard to control when it comes to opening slowly not to hit a wall or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #102
benes136
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue

I agree with the missing door handle.. What were they thinking? I thought I was just too tall at first. Also wish there was a volume control next to the idrive wheel or a seek button instead of that scroller for the presets on the steering wheel. A seek button in general would be cool but still learning the car and might just be missing it. Also havent figured out how to have the lights stay on when I exit the car or lock it at night.

I have to say that overall the car is incredible. In reading this forum you would think the 2 series is a disaster but everyone is just nitpicking. I could go on and on about the lack of a CAR ALARM or even "locking beep" on a 50k car but we all love these cars and wouldnt trade them for all of the options we are missing in something else.

Best car I have ever owned or even driven thus far...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #103
park960
Rep

Seat Belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
I m not as tall as you but have the same issue

Can you link me to that extension thing??
Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not perfect, but it does reduce the rubbing...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #104
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by park960 View Post
Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not perfect, but it does reduce the rubbing...
I'd sure like to know how that held up in FMVSS208 frontal barrier (or equivalent) impact testing before adding it as a "link" to the seat belt system "chain".
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #105
park960
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'd sure like to know how that held up in FMVSS208 frontal barrier (or equivalent) impact testing before adding it as a "link" to the seat belt system "chain".
Good concern. Here is another link addressing certifications, do's and don'ts.

http://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/extender-safety/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #106
ntrinsik
:]
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 228i / '99 Mazda Miata

Quote:
another HUGE con: where the hell is my blind spot vehicle detection? don't see 1 single reason not to have it. i paid for all hardware that requires that functionality, obviously i expected to have it, as well as active cruise control. this is really bad of BMW. my audio gets crazy annoying, very unstable via BT, unstable even via USB - disconnects sometimes. my old style external BT receiver in my 2007 335i did a much much better job for $15 (!!!). also my front wheels make unnatural noise at wvery bump, i am going to report it to a dealer, but has anyone noticed anything similar?
My BT is very unstable too. It'll stop playing music for a few seconds, then catch up by fast-forwarding and playing, etc. So annoying. HTC One user. I need to try it with my fiancée's iPhone to see if it exhibits similar BT functionality.
      08-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #107
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

dude with breaks complain. all breaks require break-in period, more than anything else. while they do produce tons of dust, they are actually not bad. you just need to wait and use them more. they are still new. i will change mine to ceramics asap though, this dust is horrible, only 1 this reason is enough to say that these brakes are complete garbage.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #108
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

sigh..... germans don't care if the brakes create dust as long as they work... americans don't care if the brakes work as long as they don't create dust
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #109
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
sigh..... germans don't care if the brakes create dust as long as they work... americans don't care if the brakes work as long as they don't create dust
that was a good one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #110
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Boom....
Appreciate 0