THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 328 coupe to a 228 coupe

02-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #67
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

The answer to this is 2mph faster reading at 80mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #68
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
People were talking about what RPM the car would be in at a given speed & gear. The chart provides that information. Whether or not the car will get to that speed depends on the car and conditions.

If your question was "What is the top speed" of a 228 then that's a different question.

I would expect based on past cars with similar power numbers the 228 would hit around 140-150 with no problems. Keep in mind the speedometer becomes less accurate the faster you go, and BMW speedos are notoriously "faster" than actual, so 150mph indicated on the speedo would be closer to 140mph. A GPS would tell you the true speed.
Yes, and as I stated I was looking for the top speed in each gear in reality, but happened to come across that link. As I thought about it though that calculator means nothing to what we were discussing because it doesn't pertain to real life, especially as drag becomes exponentially more limiting the faster one goes. I have never had an inaccurate speedo up to ~100mph, they have always been spot on in correlation with GPSs. I can say that my car has indicated it was going faster than the limiter advertised... but that would mean probably that the car was in fact hitting the actual limiter and that the speedo was reading faster than the car was actually going (which is what you said). In other words, it wasn't indicating the limiter speed but going 5-10mph less, it was reading higher than the advertised limiter speed but probably only going the advertised limiter speed. Obviously, this instance was not verified with a GPS or similar tool. I probably lost 95% of the people reading this reply who managed to get this far into it...

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-16-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0