THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Need Major Help! M2 Down

01-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
MyMiniM3
Rep
Drives: 16" BMW M235i

Need Major Help! M2 Down

Ok so the story goes...My mom was backed into by a F250 and the Reese hitch put a large gash in the front bumper along with some deep scratches. A replacement bumper is $800 but the auto body shop assigned to her fix states they cannot get a exact paint matching Mineral Gray Metallic on the new bumper. They stated they can mix something almost exact but no promises. The manager recommends she wrap "just' the front bumper of the car in carbon fiber wrap to hide the issue. Obviously, we all know that's an absolute no no but he has her convinced.

She has $2100 to play with outside of the new bumper purchase. My question is what is her best available option here? I stated she should wrap the entire car if she doesn't like the auto bodies shops paint match. Open to any suggestions.
Attached Images

01-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

1. that's crap. it's standard BMW paint. they can get it

2. go to a different body shop. yes, the might be preferred by insurance, but I'm sure if you let the insurance company what is going on they'll work with you to switch it.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

the suggestion to wrap...thats is so sketchy.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
If they can blend it properly sounds like you need a better shop. Or make insurance pay for a whole repaint.
All in all the car is relatively new so paint shouldn't have faded much. Accident is already on the title so damage is already done to the resale value.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Uhh take it to a BMW certified body shop. Some dealerships have their own body shop so call around. Bottom line is by law the insurance has to repair your car back to pre-loss condition and if they can't even match the paint, you seriously need a new shop. Don't go to the shop recommended by the insurance.
Appreciate 3
Sportstick4727.50
BM235iW97.00
RoundelM31838.00
      01-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Insurance preferred does not mean you have to use it. Take it to a different shop like everyone else says. Also, why isn't this being paid by the truck owner/their insurance? This should not be a financial burden on your mom's part at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Metallic paints, especially silvers, can be tough to match perfectly but most quality shops can do the job so no one would be able to tell the repair has been done.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear

Last edited by p912guy; 01-04-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
MyMiniM3
Rep

Thanks for all the help! I think what I've learned is she needs to fight this and go to a professional!
      01-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

If you can get the bumper off and shipped for a reasonable cost, you might want to consider sending it to IND for a respray. I've sent them a few different parts so they can paint them Melbourne Red, which can't be an easy color to match once you start looking at the detail in the metal flake, and they've knocked it out of the park every time. They are also reasonable in price compared to your typical local body shop, which 9 times out of 10 will try to price gouge you for all they think you're worth. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck!
      01-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

I had my rear bumper repainted twice on my silver E90. Both time they warned me of the remote possibility of a very slight shade difference because of the flex additive required on the bumper. Two different shops, two different paints. Both repairs were unnoticeable to me and I'm picky.
I'm due to get some rear bumper damage repaired on my present car. Yet a different shop as the other two are closed. This thread reminds me that the new shop did not give me the warning. I'll have to inquire.
That all said, I'd find another shop. Carbonfiber wrap....really. Mamma Mia.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
If you can get the bumper off and shipped for a reasonable cost, you might want to consider sending it to IND for a respray. I've sent them a few different parts so they can paint them Melbourne Red, which can't be an easy color to match once you start looking at the detail in the metal flake, and they've knocked it out of the park every time. They are also reasonable in price compared to your typical local body shop, which 9 times out of 10 will try to price gouge you for all they think you're worth. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck!
IND for a repaint? Can you expand please?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

its nearly impossible to match some of these colors its a base,pearl than clear coat, that being said, buy a new bumper cover, have it painted, call it a day.

I have mineral white, nothing matches anymore, but you have to know where to look to really see the difference.

a bmw cca sticker will cover that right up as well.. see rear bumper.
Attached Images

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      01-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I had a new bumper replacement on my previous 4 series and they paint matched Mineral Grey Metallic no issues and you couldn't tell the difference. As others have said, you should absolutely pick your own body shop and not the one the insurance picks for you, you have zero legal obligation to use the one they prefer you to use. Any reputable body shop that is used to dealing with BMWs will be able to paint Mineral Grey Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My Valencia Orange rear bumper was perfectly matched. Choose a certified BMW shop ONLY!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
MyMiniM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
its nearly impossible to match some of these colors its a base,pearl than clear coat, that being said, buy a new bumper cover, have it painted, call it a day.

I have mineral white, nothing matches anymore, but you have to know where to look to really see the difference.

Quote:

Noted. On another note, what spoiler is that?
      01-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:

Trying to understand this better. Is it that a shop can't match the factory process, even with factory paint?

Or that they could get it to look "new", but would have a hard time matching the existing paint, due to fading (or whatever, which to my understanding is why they always recommend feathering/fading it into the existing paint).

I like the sticker method though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #17
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post

Good luck!
IND for a repaint? Can you expand please?
Yeah, why not? From my experience, they are very accommodating and willing to make money on pretty much anything you need painted. If the logistics of shipping a bumper cover don't cause any problems, I'm sure they'd provide a quote for the work. Never hurts to try, I suppose.
      01-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

Your car looks beastly

One suggestion is you do the European LCI tail light swap.. It'll modernize the back end with full LEDs..

DIY: LCI Tailights https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1405431

M2 LCI tail lights retrofitted on pre-LCI M2 https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397351
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      01-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #19
MyMiniM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
Quote:

Trying to understand this better. Is it that a shop can't match the factory process, even with factory paint?

Or that they could get it to look "new", but would have a hard time matching the existing paint, due to fading (or whatever, which to my understanding is why they always recommend feathering/fading it into the existing paint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
Quote:

The car is a month old so that's not much of an issue. The auto body shop states they don't have access to the factory BMW paint and although the can mix some paints to match, it won't be absolutely perfect. Maybe it could be mom being a little picky wanting factory paint from BMW for an exact match.
      01-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

There is far too much drama in this thread. This is quite simple and happens for BMWs around the world every day.
1) No external facility can match the OEM paint process. The paint shop in a OEM plant is a multi-tens of millions part of the facility investment.
2) However, for a fascia, the parts arrive in color, from the fascia supplier who has met a color harmony standard set by BMW.
2) However, the above is irrelevant to the result produceable by a body shop certified by BMW.

It is not infrequent that brand new cars are damaged in transit and need paint before new car delivery. BMW has a process which certified body shops use to meet their standards for quality and appearance worthy of new car delivery. This includes techniques to manage the paint flop so that the metallic elements should also allow for color reflective match. That should easily suffice for your requirements. If you use a non-certified shop, results may vary.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
da jemster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,E93 M3,F22 M235i,i1 i3

From the thread title, I came in here expecting a blown engine or something catastrophic....
      01-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
If they can blend it properly sounds like you need a better shop. Or make insurance pay for a whole repaint.
All in all the car is relatively new so paint shouldn't have faded much. Accident is already on the title so damage is already done to the resale value.
Get Diminished Value, get picture of the damage, once is fixed get an appraisal, then go to CarMax and get the trade-in value to compare

Diminished Value pay should be 33% of the price of the car prior to the accident
Appreciate 0