THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dyno Questions (had some trouble...)

06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

Dyno Questions (had some trouble...)

Anyone know how to properly dyno a '14 RWD M235i (U.S. model) w/ ZF8 Transmission??

Last weekend, I attended a dyno day and I was running a JB4 custom Map 6 for an E30 mix (car is also FBO), dyno numbers are posted below (WHP is off because of the issues we had).

Anyway, we did the basics for a proper dyno (disable DSC/DTC by holding traction button, set transmission to manual mode, etc.). Did two 4th gear pulls, in which the DME threw codes for stability problems as a safety and would cut power half-way through the pulls and up-shift automatically. So basically the car thought it was doing a burnout in 4th gear, which is why the value of WHP is off of where it should be, with respect to the value for WTQ.

I'm hoping there's someone with a solution to this issue, or if there's someone out there who has the same trouble, so I'm not alone in solving this, because I haven't been able to find anything helpful so far...

I'm even wondering if this is isolated to U.S. models, because the cars we have here might have more 'nannies' coded into the ECU, so these trip safety codes on the dyno and cause these problems...
Attached Images

06-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsos View Post
Anyone know how to properly dyno a '14 RWD M235i (U.S. model) w/ ZF8 Transmission??

Last weekend, I attended a dyno day and I was running a JB4 custom Map 6 for an E30 mix (car is also FBO), dyno numbers are posted below (WHP is off because of the issues we had).

Anyway, we did the basics for a proper dyno (disable DSC/DTC by holding traction button, set transmission to manual mode, etc.). Did two 4th gear pulls, in which the DME threw codes for stability problems as a safety and would cut power half-way through the pulls and up-shift automatically. So basically the car thought it was doing a burnout in 4th gear, which is why the value of WHP is off of where it should be, with respect to the value for WTQ.

I'm hoping there's someone with a solution to this issue, or if there's someone out there who has the same trouble, so I'm not alone in solving this, because I haven't been able to find anything helpful so far...

I'm even wondering if this is isolated to U.S. models, because the cars we have here might have more 'nannies' coded into the ECU, so these trip safety codes on the dyno and cause these problems...
Glad to hear Im not the only one to experience issues on the dyno. I will say that I did not know at the time to put DSC off, so I only had it in sport+ and manual mode to 4th and the same issue, mid way through the run I would lose power want to say (3500rpm) and a quick light on dash poped, guessing traction or stability flashed and the the numbers were skewed for the rest of the pull. I was pretty bummed because I had to pay and knew the numbers wernt 100% accurate. I chalked it up to being a one of a few issues since I wasnt really sure why the car only did this on the dyno.
1. Forgot to turn off DSC?
2. Im AWD, maybe the car didnt like the rollers and threw the light/code?
OR
3. I have been told our cars have a "roller mode" in dash menu. I did see this but was not sure what it is or how to properly activate it.

Car is 8sp M235XI FBO/JB4. I did pulls in all Maps and same issue occurred each pull.. Take car off dyno and It pulls 100% no issue. Was on 92pump with 32oz torco= 103octane I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

I just did some digging into the hidden menu (in dash) and I believe I found our solution... ESC (Electronic Stability Control) needs to be disabled, along with everything else. So this is one last additional step.

How this is done:

1) Enter hidden menu by pressing and holding the odometer reset button, until the menu pops up.

2) Click the odometer reset button to scroll down to highlight "03 Start Roller".

3) Press and hold the odometer reset button to open "03 Start Roller".

4) Once it opens, it will ask for confirmation to disable ESC. To confirm, just click the odometer reset button once. It will then return you out of the "hidden menu", activate "dyno mode" and disable ESC (it will reset once you shut the car off, so you will have redo all this if you shut it off).

I believe BMW uses this during the manufacturing process to test the cars on the dyno, before shipping them off.

P.S. I'm hoping this is the final solution, because I won't be able to test this theory till the next time I dyno, which is probably a year from now lol...
N55guy214.00
FSociety3812.50
      06-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
I just did some digging into the hidden menu (in dash) and I believe I found our solution... ESC (Electronic Stability Control) needs to be disabled, along with everything else. So this is one last additional step.

How this is done:

1) Enter hidden menu by pressing and holding the odometer reset button, until the menu pops up.

2) Click the odometer reset button to scroll down to highlight "03 Start Roller".

4) Once it opens, it will ask for confirmation to disable ESC. To confirm, just click the odometer reset button once. It will then return you out of the "hidden menu", activate "dyno mode" and disable ESC (it will reset once you shut the car off, so you will have redo all this if you shut it off).

I believe BMW uses this during the manufacturing process to test the cars on the dyno, before shipping them off.

P.S. I'm hoping this is the final solution, because I won't be able to test this theory till the next time I dyno, which is probably a year from now lol...
Thank you!
Great info! I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what I needed to do to get a solid pull on a dyno.

But I too wont test this until a year from now unless Christmas come sooner (stg2 )
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:

How this is done:

I'm gonna dyno soon, is this an issue with the 8AT only or is it also an issue with a 6 speed manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55guy View Post
I'm gonna dyno soon, is this an issue with the 8AT only or is it also an issue with a 6 speed manual?
This should only be an issue with the ZF8 transmission, I don't see how the ecu could interfere with an automatic up-shift on a traditional manual gearbox... but you never know, BMW could have programmed some annoying nanny to cut power instead... I'd say, if you can find the "roller" feature in the hidden menu (even if it's a manual), just enable it so there's no possibility for error on the dyno.
      06-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55guy View Post
This should only be an issue with the ZF8 transmission, I don't see how the ecu could interfere with an automatic up-shift on a traditional manual gearbox... but you never know, BMW could have programmed some annoying nanny to cut power instead... I'd say, if you can find the "roller" feature in the hidden menu (even if it's a manual), just enable it so there's no possibility for error on the dyno.
Didn't realize the issue was the transmission randomly up shifting. Guess I didn't understand clearly. I had some issues on the dyno with my auto 335xi a few years back and when I saw this thread started to worry about my upcoming dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
This issue will happen if any mode, so make sure you Press n hold DSC to fully have it off and move shifter to left if ZF8 (M/S) and manually shift into 4th gear.

Everyone does it this way without any issues you guys are mentioning and yes the hidden menu option also might help in some cases. But RWD cars are much easier to dyno than AWD.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0