THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan intake/exhaust M235i

07-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240 xDrive (on order)

Hey guys!

I am checking out a used 2016 M235i with 25k miles tomorrow for 34k, the same as im seeing others go for on the low end w no mods (and i wanted intake and axle-back exhaust anyway!)

So... It has intake and axle-back Dinan exhaust but *no* ecu tune. Id prefer not to pay $2500 for the dinan tune, so would a JB4 be good to go with these basic mods if I end up buying it? Would be my first ecu tune.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You need to read up. A lot. There's a ton of information available on tunes you need to dig into.

To answer your pretty naive question (no offense) that probably didn't come up for conversation - the stuff on the car has no impact on what tune you can run. So make that decision on your own but nothing that has been done to the car impacts options.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You need to read up. A lot. There's a ton of information available on tunes you need to dig into.

To answer your pretty naive question (no offense) that probably didn't come up for conversation - the stuff on the car has no impact on what tune you can run. So make that decision on your own but nothing that has been done to the car impacts options.
I understand that increasing air flow with an intake and exhaust will lean the engine out, so you need to tune to adjust for this, allowing more fuel to burn and more power (thats basic).

I have done this manually (carbeurators) and electronically (Ecu replacement) but on motorcycles, and never with forced induction.

Saying that "the stuff on the car has no impact" is, to me, naive. If I was running catless downpipe into straight pipes and a giant turbo, the car would want a very different tune than it would stock.

the "stuff" DOES have an impact, or Dinan wouldnt offered different flashes for different "stuff" packages.

My question was more geared towards - Is the JB4 adjustable to get a good map for an intake/axleback from non-BMS brand "stuff" or is JB4 mapped more towards their own branded stuff. I know they will all be close, but is the JB4 fine tune-able or does it just come with preset "intake map" based on their own stuff. I have no experience with BMS products and figured id get an answer from someone with experience using BMS with, say, a supersprint exhaust and Afe intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You obviously know all you need to know so have fun and good luck.

The Dinan intake simply does not preclude any options out there and is perfectly fine to run with an otherwise stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoogleboogle View Post
Hey guys!

I am checking out a used 2016 M235i with 25k miles tomorrow for 34k, the same as im seeing others go for on the low end w no mods (and i wanted intake and axle-back exhaust anyway!)

So... It has intake and axle-back Dinan exhaust but *no* ecu tune. Id prefer not to pay $2500 for the dinan tune, so would a JB4 be good to go with these basic mods if I end up buying it? Would be my first ecu tune.

Thanks!
Yes JB4 would be the best starting point

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
LiuC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sorry to burst your bubble on the dinan exhaust... it won't make much of a difference other than on noise...

If you lay down And take a look at the exhaust pipe and compare to after market pipe, it will look so similar that stock exhaust follow the same path and makes, even dinan website says it's "recommended" not "required"

For example if you look at dinan stage 2 tune
It says recommend with intake and exhaust,
But stage 3 "require" intercooler.

So the changes with intake and exhaust is minimal gains. Also with an intake... it could flow abit better... but with out a more efficient intercooler... the turbo spool up and generate heat the same way with or with out intake... and suddenly you are pushing the same amount of air and same amount of heat into the engine.
How ever aftermarket intake do offer less sound detonating and intake sounds better.

Lastly. How slow do you think these vehicle computers are? With small changes like intake and exhaust even an down pipe, with out tune your car will run fine because the computer will compensate and adjust.
How ever if you want to push the car and get the most value out of the performance parts then a tune could aid in the parameters given.

I personally didn't run dinan intake, I ran AFE magnum because of the large air filter, allows more air to get in, And sounds great, MPE for sound, a fabspeed sport car because I want the flow and turbo to spool up quicker and have less load / restrictions, but I didn't want to deal with check engine light. These sport cat is 200 cel and that's almost 70% better flow than the 600cel stock cat.
I ran race chip before, not a fan. Ok with power didn't gain as much but it does not run or shift as smooth as stock. Also got drive train malfunction. Returned and got a dinan sport tuner, (boost controller) feel not much difference..seems to be shifting abit more rough. but when I took it off car definately feels more sluggish.
Now I'm running dinan stage 2 piggy back and loving it. Next Wednesday I'm tossing in an dinan intercooler and going stage 3 at the drag strip.

All I can say is that sure JB4 cost less and puts out a lot of power(when you run the right map)but I really enjoy the ease of plug and play of dinan.
It feels like stock to the car but much much quicker.

Can't speak for how smooth other tune drives but dinan is definately smooth as butter and feels all round.

Sorry long post, my 2.35 cents
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiuC View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble on the dinan exhaust... it won't make much of a difference other than on noise...

If you lay down And take a look at the exhaust pipe and compare to after market pipe, it will look so similar that stock exhaust follow the same path and makes, even dinan website says it's "recommended" not "required"

For example if you look at dinan stage 2 tune
It says recommend with intake and exhaust,
But stage 3 "require" intercooler.

So the changes with intake and exhaust is minimal gains. Also with an intake... it could flow abit better... but with out a more efficient intercooler... the turbo spool up and generate heat the same way with or with out intake... and suddenly you are pushing the same amount of air and same amount of heat into the engine.
How ever aftermarket intake do offer less sound detonating and intake sounds better.

Lastly. How slow do you think these vehicle computers are? With small changes like intake and exhaust even an down pipe, with out tune your car will run fine because the computer will compensate and adjust.
How ever if you want to push the car and get the most value out of the performance parts then a tune could aid in the parameters given.

I personally didn't run dinan intake, I ran AFE magnum because of the large air filter, allows more air to get in, And sounds great, MPE for sound, a fabspeed sport car because I want the flow and turbo to spool up quicker and have less load / restrictions, but I didn't want to deal with check engine light. These sport cat is 200 cel and that's almost 70% better flow than the 600cel stock cat.
I ran race chip before, not a fan. Ok with power didn't gain as much but it does not run or shift as smooth as stock. Also got drive train malfunction. Returned and got a dinan sport tuner, (boost controller) feel not much difference..seems to be shifting abit more rough. but when I took it off car definately feels more sluggish.
Now I'm running dinan stage 2 piggy back and loving it. Next Wednesday I'm tossing in an dinan intercooler and going stage 3 at the drag strip.

All I can say is that sure JB4 cost less and puts out a lot of power(when you run the right map)but I really enjoy the ease of plug and play of dinan.
It feels like stock to the car but much much quicker.

Can't speak for how smooth other tune drives but dinan is definately smooth as butter and feels all round.

Sorry long post, my 2.35 cents
Thanks that was helpful for sure!

I ended up ordering an m240 actually
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Why not go bm3. .?

I suppose jb4 is fine too, and add a sport cat

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandluna View Post

I suppose jb4 is fine too, and add a sport cat
+1 on sport cat

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

the car probably already had a jb4 on it and seller sold that private before getting rid of the car.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0