THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Electronic Steering Wheel. Anyone Else Not Feeling It?

08-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
turnstile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 35i

Electronic Steering Wheel. Anyone Else Not Feeling It?

My M235i was fitted with the ESW from the dealer. What Im finding is day to day driving isn't that great with it fitted. Reason being is that the top of the wheel is extremely fat due to the need for the display and electronics. If your use to holding the wheel with one hand on top, and the other hand on the shifter it's not comfortable at all. I'm thinking of just buying the other Alcatera wheel (with the stripe on top). I asked the dealer if the original wheel was available but he stated that with port installed options they keep the original. Go Figure. btw - the car is leased so selling it really isn't an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
My M235i was fitted with the ESW from the dealer. What Im finding is day to day driving isn't that great with it fitted. Reason being is that the top of the wheel is extremely fat due to the need for the display and electronics. If your use to holding the wheel with one hand on top, and the other hand on the shifter it's not comfortable at all. I'm thinking of just buying the other Alcatera wheel (with the stripe on top). I asked the dealer if the original wheel was available but he stated that with port installed options they keep the original. Go Figure. btw - the car is leased so selling it really isn't an option.
Im really enjoying the ESW. That being said I did order it myself so I should. I do know what you mean about it being fatter on top but I actually like that, gives me better grip when I'm turning with one hand in more aggressive driving when I have the other hand on the shifter, almost leaves me wanting the whole wheel to be just a bit thicker. But I know that most people don't feel this way so I understand.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
turnstile
Private
Rep

Perhaps if I had bigger hands. Though I must admit the amount of info that it displays is vast (oil/water temp, tach, etc). I think I'm going to dig into the manual (for the first time) and give it another month.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Perhaps if I had bigger hands. Though I must admit the amount of info that it displays is vast (oil/water temp, tach, etc). I think I'm going to dig into the manual (for the first time) and give it another month.
Good plan. I do really think its unnecessary but the geek in me loves it! Shift lights and yes all that info. Im loving it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Interesting point on the port installed options.
I have not done any port installed items.
Are the costs of the optional items contingent upon giving the port the removed OEM parts?

In your situation if you had retained the OEM parts you could now simply pay for putting the OEM steering wheel back on, and then selling the optional wheel since you paid for the part.

Does the optional steering wheel cost less if it's port installed vs buying that wheel and installing somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

If you want it rolled into financing especially on a lease, it needs to be port installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Hold the wheel at the 10 to 11 o'clock like you're supposed to?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
dwvcfii
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP

Quote:
If your use to holding the wheel with one hand on top, and the other hand on the shifter it's not comfortable at all.
And it shouldn't be comfortable because you're not supposed to hold the wheel that way. In fact, you are risking serious injury in the event of a crash due to airbag deployment if you hold the wheel anywhere other than 9 and 3. BMW teaches this at the performance center driving schools and they're not bullshitting. Your sales advisor should have instructed you on these matters.

That said, I don't think I could deal with a bunch of shit embedded in my steering wheel. The wheel is supposed to serve a single function -- allowing one to steer the car. Anything else is superfluous and annoying. The proper way to implement shift lights is either at the top of the gauge cluster in the dash or with a head up display which unfortunately BMW does not offer in this car.
      08-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
The wheel is supposed to serve a single function -- allowing one to steer the car. Anything else is superfluous and annoying. The proper way to implement shift lights is either at the top of the gauge cluster in the dash or with a head up display which unfortunately BMW does not offer in this car.
Come on, man, that steering wheel must add at least 10 hp! But then again, there's the extra weight of the LEDs. It's all so confusing!

I always shift by ear anyway... (By ear, not with my ear...)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
turnstile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Interesting point on the port installed options.
I have not done any port installed items.
Are the costs of the optional items contingent upon giving the port the removed OEM parts?

In your situation if you had retained the OEM parts you could now simply pay for putting the OEM steering wheel back on, and then selling the optional wheel since you paid for the part.

Does the optional steering wheel cost less if it's port installed vs buying that wheel and installing somewhere else?
No it's not cheaper, it's full retail on the sticker. I think that option was $2000+ installed. Though as mentioned it's a lease so your basically paying for half of the options installed vs. full if you were to have installed them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
turnstile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
And it shouldn't be comfortable because you're not supposed to hold the wheel that way. In fact, you are risking serious injury in the event of a crash due to airbag deployment if you hold the wheel anywhere other than 9 and 3. BMW teaches this at the performance center driving schools and they're not bullshitting. Your sales advisor should have instructed you on these matters.

That said, I don't think I could deal with a bunch of shit embedded in my steering wheel. The wheel is supposed to serve a single function -- allowing one to steer the car. Anything else is superfluous and annoying. The proper way to implement shift lights is either at the top of the gauge cluster in the dash or with a head up display which unfortunately BMW does not offer in this car.
I know it's not proper driving technique but when your in stop in go traffic for an hour going 15mph it's a bit more comfortable.

I think if your tracking the car a lot the wheel makes much more sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
im sure if you trade with someone for the stock m wheel...they wouldnt give a dawm when you return your lease
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I was debating getting this or the standard alcantara with the red center stripe for half the price.

I almost wish the stock wheel wasn't as nice so it would force me to do it but it's hard to justify either price when the OEM one was made so well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
Yummybox
Rep
Drives: AW/Black M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
I was debating getting this or the standard alcantara with the red center stripe for half the price.

I almost wish the stock wheel wasn't as nice so it would force me to do it but it's hard to justify either price when the OEM one was made so well.
This is my exact dilemma as well. I figure just use the OEM until it wears down, then upgrade. Who know when that will be though.

People with ESW, any cons when compared to OEM wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #15
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I have the Alcantara wheel installed. I agree it is very nice to.leave one hand on it in the 11 to 1 position.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
I have the Alcantara wheel installed. I agree it is very nice to.leave one hand on it in the 11 to 1 position.
The ESW one or the standard with the red stripe?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #17
GranSkyline
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Estoril M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I love the ESW. Aesthetically, I prefer the Alcantara over the normal material. The screen is nice, and I would personally want it always-on, as I love to watch the Gs build :wink: If I ever get around to tracking the car, I'm sure the shift lights will be nice to have, though they are fun now when introducing people to the car, haha.

Compared to the OEM wheel, I can't say. I wasn't even in the market for a car when I stumbled across the M235i. It was a demo w/ 4k miles and all the port options listed in my signature.

Also, in my research, the wheel costs $1.7k, but they charge a few hundred for installation on the sticker -_- I would assume the wheels are simple to replace.
Appreciate 0