THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes DIY F22 Spring Install w/ Pictures (EASY)

05-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #67
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by _M228i View Post
Sounds to me like theres metal on metal you should look for any contact between the top hat and chassis
No metal to metal contact. The solution was in my post. I drove the car for a year after installing the springs and had zero issues. The new owner hasn't mentioned any odd noises either. You've got to make sure to compress the spring before torquing down the top hat nut. Even my friend who's a BMW mechanic said the same thing. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #68
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Difference

Thanks for the step by step instructions. It's well done.

So, tell us difference you felt after the new springs are installed.

I'm not happy with my 2015 M235i Suspension and mine is also a CPO. my SA replaced one of the front struts because I complained a metallic rattling sound. Somehow, I still feel that the suspensions felt too soft for my taste.
      05-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #69
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
Thanks for the step by step instructions. It's well done.

So, tell us difference you felt after the new springs are installed.

I'm not happy with my 2015 M235i Suspension and mine is also a CPO. my SA replaced one of the front struts because I complained a metallic rattling sound. Somehow, I still feel that the suspensions felt too soft for my taste.
I've moved on from springs and the EDC all together and installed a set of KW V3 coilers. This has entirely changed the car and coding rids the car of any errors without having to use EDC resistors.

I chose V3 over V1 or V2 for the range of adjustability - I enjoy tinkering with settings and considering how easy it is to adjust compression with the bottom valve it's not a hassle at all. One thing I will note is that the rear rebound (top valve) can't be adjusted when mounted, so I left it a 50%.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #70
Aspenf22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
Hi all, first post on this forum!

I’m from the R3vlimited forum, but recently picked up a CPO M235i 8HP. Here’s my two girls:

And the M235i after the spring install:

I installed some Dinan springs on my F22 this weekend and thought I’d make a quick DIY for you all. In my short 10-minute search I noticed there aren’t any DIY’s except for an M2 video on YouTube, but the procedure is a bit different for our cars. If one does indeed exist, well now there’s two.

Firstly, this is a pretty simple job but you will need some specific tools to do this properly. While I admit I am a nerd that likens mechanical work to adult LEGO, there is no need to be spending $800+ on DINAN’s recommended 6.5 hours labor unless you're extremely busy all the time. As with any German MacPherson design, the front end requires the most involvement and took me just over 3 hours to complete. The rear is probably the easiest suspension install I’ve ever done and took only 45 minutes.

Let’s begin!

Specific Tools that will make your life easier:

This is a Cordless ½ inch impact wrench and makes quick work of nuts, bolts, and especially spring compressors. This is a Cryobi model that allegedly produces 300 ft/lbs of torque, but I can confidently tell you that it does not. Regardless, it performed well for this job.

This is a ½ drive Pinch Joint spreader tool. It will come in handy when removing and installing the strut tube. You can get away with using a 3/8” ratchet or a pry bar, but this turns a frustrating job into cake. For what it's worth, I used this same tool on Audi and Porsche cars, so I assume they're all pretty much the same. AST makes the tool I am using.

Here’s an E18 “Reverse/Female Torx” Socket needed to remove the strut brace from the aluminum strut bearing/top hat. I’ve gotten away with using a socket in the past, but wouldn’t recommend it.

Pass Through Sockets are pretty common, but if you don’t have these tools before starting you won’t be able to remove the sway bar endlinks or the strut top hats. If you’re in a bind you can use Vice Grips to clamp a socket, but you will mar the tool.

Disassembly:

NOTE: THIS IS FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE. THE DRIVER SIDE HAS A HEADLIGHT LEVEING ARM THAT MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM. (All you have to do is pop off the ball and socket part of the arm. It’s pretty flexible, I didn’t worry about breaking it. Pop it back together during reassembly)

After you’ve jacked up the front end properly (the plastic jacking points on each side), remove the wheels:

Unplug the strut valve plug:

Unplug the BOSCH ABS sensor:

Both plugs:

Use your pass-through socket wrench and a T-30 Torx bit to remove the TOP end link nut:

NOTE: Use a jack of some sort (I prefer scissor jacks) to help relieve tension from the bolts. This is also useful in reassembly to line up the holes:

Endlink removed from strut housing:

Remove pinch joint bolt (the bolt on the aluminum clamp holding the bottom of the strut):

Preliminary steps to unbolt the Lower Control Arm from the chassis: There’s a T-30 trim bolt in the wheel well and two 8mm bolts on the under panel that should be removed. This allows better access to the 18mm bolt/nut on either side of the LCA bushing.

Unbolt the LCA from the chassis. Notice the trim pieces that have been bent back a bit to accommodate the wrenches. DO NOT REMOVE THE LCA FROM THE HUB. You will risk damaging the ball joint.

Unhook these rubber wire grommets. This helps relieve tension when remove the strut housing:

Use the pinch joint spreader to open up the joint:

After unclipping the engine bay trim pieces covering the strut towers, the three 16mm strut bolts and single E18 brace bolt are exposed. Remove these bolts but be sure to use the jack so that the hub is supported. You don’t want the hub dropping on your foot or the strut top hat smacking your fender!

Strut now dropped:

Because we will be pushing down on the strut and pulling it out of the wheel well, we want to make sure the fender paint is protected in case the top hat and fender edge make contact. Use a microfiber or shop rag to cover the top hat:

Angle the strut towards the rear of the car, I found this allowed for the best fender clearance. With one hand guiding the strut, use your foot to push down on the hub while pulling the strut out. Once out, MAKE SURE YOU DON’T LET THE STRUT HANG! Protect the wires and brake lines, be sure you’re monitoring for tension.

Wiggle the strut out and you’re done!

Installing the spring:

I prefer to tackle both struts at the same time, but be sure to mark which is the driver side. I used a Jegs decal but apparently the passenger side has black details on the sticker.

Use spring compressors, be sure that the bolts are facing DOWN. Again, impact wrenches make this job so much easier:

With the spring compressed, the top nut can be removed. I used a 6mm hex key and my pass through ratchet. Make sure the key is seated all the way, I’ve stripped a few of these in the past:

NOTE: DINAN says it’s necessary to use a shorter bump stop. My local BMW tuner, a DINAN certified shop and one of the best in the country, says this modification isn’t necessary. I did it anyways:

All the pieces, in assembly order except for the strut boot. Put the boot on after the spring is seated on the perch and make sure the grommet is inserted on the lower part of the top hat:

Installed. Notice the positioning of the spring pads top and rear. It is extremely important that the springs are seated properly. If you hear popping on your test drive, it’s likely due to an improperly seated spring. Luckily, BMW incorporates markers on the pads for proper positioning on the perch:

Reassembly is exactly the same as disassembly, but backwards. Not that bad, right?

Rear:

The rear isn’t really different from any multilink rear end setup. In comparison to the suspension upgrades I’ve done in the past, it doesn’t get much easier than this.

First, remove the rear leveling sensor. Like the front, pop the ball out of the socket:

Unscrew the four 10mm bolts holding the fancy aero plate to the lower control arm:

Unbolt the strut (18mm) and the knuckle (21mm) from the lower control arm:

Push down on the lower control arm and remove the spring. It’s that simple! Be sure to note the orientation of the lower spring pad. If you forget, the little alignment nipple on the underside passes through the hole closest to the hub.

Assembly is just the same as the disassembly. Like the front, use the floor jack to align the bolt holes. A screwdriver can also help with alignment. After tightening everything up, enjoy!
I have stripped the 6mm top nut on the strut. Does anyone know how I could save the top nut without having to buy an entire new strut?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #71
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenf22 View Post
I have stripped the 6mm top nut on the strut. Does anyone know how I could save the top nut without having to buy an entire new strut?
Unfortunately, not much can be done to save the strut. I would recommending utilizing an impact gun to release the nut and reinstall upon reassembly. Try your best to prevent the piston from rotating.

If you do not have an impact gun, which run about $200-400, I would just buy a new strut. On the other hand, impact guns are extremely useful so it may be a worthwhile investment.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:27 AM   #72
Aspenf22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, not much can be done to save the strut. I would recommending utilizing an impact gun to release the nut and reinstall upon reassembly. Try your best to prevent the piston from rotating.

If you do not have an impact gun, which run about $200-400, I would just buy a new strut. On the other hand, impact guns are extremely useful so it may be a worthwhile investment.
Quote:
Quote:

What I actually ended up doing was getting a torx bit slightly larger than the 6mm top nut and hammering it inside to hold it while I took off the nut. I did the same thing to reinstall the spring and was able to torque it down. Thanks for replying. Your installation instructions were very helpful although I may be in the minority to say the fronts were worlds easier to install than the rears. I had a hard time lining up the rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #73
PISALE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i - BMW 530i

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Here are the torque specifications from the BMW ISTA, note that most of the torques require a jointing torque followed by an additional torque angle as these are torque-to-yield bolts, so the bolts need to be replaced:

Front struts
Cross-brace screw - 56Nm +90° (replace screw)
3x strut bearing screws (if M8 thread) - 30Nm +90° (replace screws)
3x strut bearing screws (if M10 thread) - 56Nm +90° (replace screws)
Pinch bolt - 44Nm +90° (replace bolt and nut, tighten down with suspension in normal position)
Shock absorber to top bearing - 64Nm (replace nut)

Rear
Shock absorber to camber arm - 100Nm +90° (replace bolt and nut, tighten down with suspension in normal position)
Camber arm to wheel carrier - 165Nm (replace nut)

Torque Conversions:
30Nm - 22ft lb
44Nm - 32ft lb
56Nm - 41ft lb
64Nm - 47ft lb
100Nm - 74ft lb
165Nm - 122ft lb

Where do you all get the hardware replacements from, other than the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #74
wfujay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Here are the torque specifications from the BMW ISTA, note that most of the torques require a jointing torque followed by an additional torque angle as these are torque-to-yield bolts, so the bolts need to be replaced:

Front struts
Cross-brace screw - 56Nm +90° (replace screw)
3x strut bearing screws (if M8 thread) - 30Nm +90° (replace screws)
3x strut bearing screws (if M10 thread) - 56Nm +90° (replace screws)
Pinch bolt - 44Nm +90° (replace bolt and nut, tighten down with suspension in normal position)
Shock absorber to top bearing - 64Nm (replace nut)

Rear
Shock absorber to camber arm - 100Nm +90° (replace bolt and nut, tighten down with suspension in normal position)
Camber arm to wheel carrier - 165Nm (replace nut)

Torque Conversions:
30Nm - 22ft lb
44Nm - 32ft lb
56Nm - 41ft lb
64Nm - 47ft lb
100Nm - 74ft lb
165Nm - 122ft lb
Are these the same torque specs for an M240i?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #75
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfujay View Post
Are these the same torque specs for an M240i?
They are, the only decision to be made is whether M8 or M10 bolts are used for the strut bearing screws.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #76
BTackman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i coupe

Dinan Spring Install

Sail Boat - Your write-up convinced me to install the Dinan springs and I am very glad I did. Your tool list was especially helpful. The only difficultly I had was with aligning the rear control arm with the knuckle to get the bolts in without messing up the threads.

Love the way it firms up the ride and response in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 06:54 PM   #77
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I put the springs on and very happy with the increased rear spring rate. I found a way to do the front that makes it MUCH easier than the rear. No need for spring compressors or spreader tools either.

1. Take off the wheel and jack up the steering knuckle to take off the end links and the leveling arm.
2. Remove the strut bolt and slowly lower the strut with the jack to decompress the spring. Make a bit of room and push the strut to the side in the wheel well.
3. Remove the top hat and pull it out of the wheel well.
4. Now reach in through hole in the engine bay and remove the bump stop, shock boot and the spring. The spring is larger diameter than the top hat hole, but you can unscrew it easily once you get it started.
5. Screw the new DINAN spring from the engine bay and reverse the disassembly steps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      01-31-2023, 07:54 PM   #78
BERT_M240i
Registered
Rep
Drives: f22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
I put the springs on and very happy with the increased rear spring rate. I found a way to do the front that makes it MUCH easier than the rear. No need for spring compressors or spreader tools either.

1. Take off the wheel and jack up the steering knuckle to take off the end links and the leveling arm.
2. Remove the strut bolt and slowly lower the strut with the jack to decompress the spring. Make a bit of room and push the strut to the side in the wheel well.
4. Now reach in through hole in the engine bay and remove the bump stop, shock boot and the spring. The spring is larger diameter than the top hat hole, but you can unscrew it easily one you get it started.
5. Screw the new DINAN spring from the engine bay and reverse the disassembly steps.

OMG!!! Thanks tadmcmichael for this. I was skeptical at first of it being this easy. I was completely wrong. Took me just over an hour start to finish to put new front springs in. Best hack ever and recommend to anyone who is just swapping springs out. So quick, safe and easy!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #79
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post

4. Now reach in through hole in the engine bay and remove the bump stop, shock boot and the spring. The spring is larger diameter than the top hat hole, but you can unscrew it easily one you get it started.
Certainly an interesting method

I have found that these particular spring compressors make swapping coil over springs much easier and safer.

https://www.amazon.com/Amerbm-Spring...dDbGljaz10cnVl
      08-06-2023, 04:04 PM   #80
a_dev
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 230i

+1 on tadmcmichael method. So much easier. Honestly easier than than rears.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0