THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Methanol injection

10-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Methanol injection

Hi guys,

I was always opposed to adding meth injection to my system because it was something Inever really looked up. I just assumed it would be a big hassle and most likely harmful to my car.

However, I did a little research and found out that if done properly it can be a great, reliable, safe mod. So now I have a few questions for those of you who are familiar

-is meth a good/bad idea for spirited street use? At first I thought it would be another thing to worry about filling all of the time, but then I read somewhere that it is not constantly used. It is usually used only in periods of higher boost. Is that correct?

-Is there a monitor system to tell you when the tank is low? I've read some guys use windshield washer tanks, and they get a low fluid light when they are low, I'd rather keep my washer fluid though.

-What size tanks do you guys use? 2L? 1gallon? Where do you store the tank? I do not have a spare tire will the tank fit in the little area next to the battery? Is that a bad idea?

-What's the deal with meth/water mixtures? More meth is more power and more water is more cooling, which allows you to run higher boost without knock?

-What is the 'whole mixing" fuel about? Is mixing e85 and pump the same goal as pump with meth injection? Raising octane? I know the power density of ethanol is lower therefore it takes more of it which can stain the stock fuel pump right? Does meth injection avoid this issue because it uses a separate pump?

Do you need a programmable tune (jb4) to run meth so you can tell it when to come on ?

If you are running higher boost it is a good idea to upgrade the charge pipe. When I do that should I gt one with a meth bung, because that is where it hooks into right?

How is this for dealer visits? Do you just unplug the hose from the cp and tae the tank out of the trunk? Is it easily traceable?

Where do you guys get the stuff? I read some people just get it at he depot. Is that stuff high quality enough to use?

Sorry if these are some noob questions, but the thought of this mod is pretty new to me

Thanks

Last edited by jmwilson125; 03-08-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Hi guys,

I was always opposed to adding meth injection to my system because it was something Inever really looked up. I just assumed it would be a big hassle and most likely harmful to my car.

However, I did a little research and found out that if done properly it can be a great, reliable, safe mod. So now I have a few questions for those of you who are familiar

-is meth a good/bad idea for spirited street use? At first I thought it would be another thing to worry about filling all of the time, but then I read somewhere that it is not constantly used. It is usually used only in periods of higher boost. Is that correct?

-Is there a monitor system to tell you when the tank is low? I've read some guys use windshield washer tanks, and they get a low fluid light when they are low, I'd rather keep my washer fluid though.

-What size tanks do you guys use? 2L? 1gallon? Where do you store the tank? I do not have a spare tire will the tank fit in the little area next to the battery? Is that a bad idea?

-What's the deal with meth/water mixtures? More meth is more power and more water is more cooling, which allows you to run higher boost without knock?

-What is the 'whole mixing" fuel about? Is mixing e85 and pump the same goal as pump with meth injection? Raising octane? I know the power density of ethanol is lower therefore it takes more of it which can stain the stock fuel pump right? Does meth injection avoid this issue because it uses a separate pump?

Do you need a programmable tune (jb4) to run meth so you can tell it when to come on ?

If you are running higher boost it is a good idea to upgrade the charge pipe. When I do that should I gt one with a meth bung, because that is where it hooks into right?

How is this for dealer visits? Do you just unplug the hose from the cp and tae the tank out of the trunk? Is it easily traceable?

Where do you guys get the stuff? I read some people just get it at he depot. Is that stuff high quality enough to use?

Sorry if these are some noob questions, but the thought of this mod is pretty new to me

Thanks
I run meth, I really only use it on the track (road course). If you want to run meth I would suggest going FBO first and deciding if you feel you need it.

I use it mostly for cooling, and there is a power gain but that is not my primary goal. I had to do quite a bit of map tuning to get a smooth power delivery, and I think it would quench in stop and go, but on the track there is no issues.

Bottom line, meth is not for people who don't like tinkering, and you can cause a lot of damage if not set up right. If that's not you, than I would skip.

I would suggest heading over to n54tech, and doing some searches and seeing if that is what you want to get involved in, or at a minimum get yourself educated.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

jmwilson125
You have already done a lot of research and know most of the answers I can tell.

I dont use it daily. I have my map6 that I run daily and map3 (JB4) I use for fun. For dealer visits you can remove the whole kit in 2 hours I would guess.
As Pparana is writing its a system that requires some attention - not just like filling up from the pump. You will have to check logs on a regular basis to check if its operating properly... For me it mean I can run 20psi max instead of 16psi max + the added benefit of lower IAT's. With the JB4 the system is fully integrated only giving you full boost if flow is perfect.
Just like you I also did not want to run meth in the beginning - a frankenstein add-on in my eyes, but it really is a brilliant system. Fill up with normal 95/98 RON and have 100 on demand
Where to get it...I get it in 20 liter cans (99%) from a whole sale company and add water myself.
      10-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

If used Properly it can be very beneficial. Not really much else to say.

on a side Note... BMW will be using Meth injection on some of our new engines coming out. Snow performance is going to be the supplier. Its going to help carbon build up ont he valves.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
boost82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post

on a side Note... BMW will be using Meth injection on some of our new engines coming out. Snow performance is going to be the supplier. Its going to help carbon build up ont he valves.

They already are using water injection, not meth injection. I am sure people will put meth in there. How do you know they will be using snow kits? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by boost82; 10-02-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Hi guys,

Sure, water and/or meth injection is very beneficial to a forced induction car. In terms of when you spray it all depends on what kit you buy and how you set it up, so it's up to you

Depends on the kit you buy but yes all the good kits have level sensors

Again, totally up to you. Right now I use a 6qt tank in my trunk. I have the pump mounted in the trunk as well

Water cools the cylinder better than methanol, but not IAT's. Generally speaking you benefit more from a higher methanol content than water content. If you run 100% water you have to spray less, 100% meth you spray more. All depends on your goals and your platform. Some people use meth as additional fueling to run more boost and advance

Ethanol and methanol are very similar and yes they raise octane and burn cooler. Yes meth injection is a standalone kit so you don't need to worry about your fuel system not being up to the task of higher concentrated ethanol mixtures in you gas tank

Depends on your goals. To get maximum power you will need a tune, but you can run meth without a tune. When it comes to the jb4 the methanol map will raise boost once it detects an acceptable meth flow

That is an easy way to go about adding a jet imo

It's going to be a pain in the ass to remove all traces of the install before a dealer visit but possible

I have a local race shop by me. I use VP fuels M1 methanol

Thanks
I run an Aquamist hfs-4 kit. I have been running meth for years with very good results. Imo stay away from the cheap kits, I have wasted a loy of money on cheap meth kits. Here are some pics of my current install:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by boost82; 10-02-2015 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost82
Quote:

They already are using water injection, not meth injection. I am sure people will put meth in there. How do you know they will be using snow kits? Makes no sense to me.
yes you are correct..not method just water injection. my bad. I received a article about it at the bmw training center. I work as a automotive tech for BMW and the instructor passed it around for us to look at during lunch one day
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yes you are correct..not method just water injection. my bad. I received a article about it at the bmw training center. I work as a automotive tech for BMW and the instructor passed it around for us to look at during lunch one day
Yeah cause I know the M4 motox safety car has water injection integrated which is really cool. Seems to me they would only need pumps, they would use the dme to control everything which is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

boost82
You are using the Aquamist for added fuel volume?
      10-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
boost82
You are using the Aquamist for added fuel volume?
At this point I don't need it for fueling but yes that is the plan once a bigger turbo goes on the car
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost82 View Post
I run an Aquamist hfs-4 kit. I have been running meth for years with very good results. Imo stay away from the cheap kits, I have wasted a loy of money on cheap meth kits. Here are some pics of my current install:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks that was a huge help. You can only learn so much from Google. It's nice to hear from people in the community.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost82 View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
That's a nice setup, what size nozzles ar you using?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
That's a nice setup, what size nozzles ar you using?
I am running (6) .4mm "a" jets that flow about 75cc/min at 160 psi in each intake runner then I am running (1) .6mm jet that flows about 250cc/min in a charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

anyone here ran 100% Water injection only on N55 or N54, if so what nozzles and how many do you recommend, i need water injection to cool down my crazy IATs.
      10-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

While testing my setup I just used pure water with a CM10 nozzle - that is definitely too much haha My engine died on 1-2 cylinders and would not run normally until restarted. I assume you already have an uprated IC?
      10-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #16
dt20011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I'd start with a CM7.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:13 AM   #17
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
While testing my setup I just used pure water with a CM10 nozzle - that is definitely too much haha My engine died on 1-2 cylinders and would not run normally until restarted. I assume you already have an uprated IC?
Its like 30*c at night so imagine how hot it is in the day. Im thinking to get dual cm5 and try single then dual if it would help.
      10-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
Its like 30*c at night so imagine how hot it is in the day. Im thinking to get dual cm5 and try single then dual if it would help.
Dual cm5 or single cm7 for just water is too much. I would just go dual cm3 or single cm5.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
Dual cm5 or single cm7 for just water is too much. I would just go dual cm3 or single cm5.
Yeah for 100% water you need to run less
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
boost82
Private First Class
Rep

If you want to cool IAT's you should use meth. That is a big misconception.... Water will cool the cylinder better than meth, not IAT's though. 100% water will def cool IAT's but a 50/50 mix will work better. Do some testing when you get up and running and you will see
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
I just checked coolingmist
cm3 250-300cc/m , 2cm3 = 500-600cc/m
cm5 280-340cc/m , 2cm5 = 560-680cc/m
only 12%+ flow versus less atomization.
      10-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #22
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
I just checked coolingmist
cm3 250-300cc/m , 2cm3 = 500-600cc/m
cm5 280-340cc/m , 2cm5 = 560-680cc/m
only 12%+ flow versus less atomization.
Hmm looks like the small nozzles still flow a bit. From CM7 and up the flow size increase is more. You should be good with 2x CM3. Or go 3 nozzles and put a custom one pre FMIC
Appreciate 0