THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Limited Slip Differential vs. Open Differential?

06-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
McLaren would disagree with you. The 650S, 675LT, and P1 have open differentials -- they use brake based torque vectoring only. A much better version than most cars, but still, brake based torque vectoring.
Don't forget that the Mclaren cars are mid engine which puts exceptional weight on the rear tires in most all acceleration and handling situations. There is a big difference between that a RWD car.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
I got the LSD as a "port install" when I ordered my 2er.
I think I paid something like 1200.00 I want to say?
I think the LSD is worth it. I can tell the difference in traction dragging on 0-60 vs guys in my car club running bone stock 235i's also handles very nicely in the curves at high speed on our rural "illegal 2 mile mountain pass"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #25
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, L434

I'm probably in the minority here but every car I buy I make sure it ends up with LSD. Even on my M20 powered E30 its LSD is in working order. Swapped to an LSD on my E91 (now sold) and the minute I got on a highway on ramp you could feel the difference. Now, I live in NH where yes, we get snow, and yes, you can drive some of the best roads for "spirited" driving - even within acceptable public speeds.

I've also made sure my Jeeps, Land Rovers, and other cars where LSD is an option gets the LSD when ordered new. My belief is that on a non-turbo car (where it's $$$$ to get more power) the LSD is the best bang for the buck.

And do yourself a favor if you are looking for one - www.diffsonline.com

Last edited by NHSkibm; 06-21-2016 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #26
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkibm
I'm probably in the minority here but every car I buy I make sure it ends up with LSD. Even on my M20 powered E30 it's LSD is in working order. Swapped to an LSD on my E91 (now sold) and the minute I got on a highway on ramp you could feel the difference. Now, I like in NH where yes, we get snow, and yes, you can drive some of the best roads for "spirited" driving - even within acceptable public speeds.

I've also made sure my Jeeps, Land Rovers, and other cars where LSD is an option gets the LSD when ordered new. My belief is that on a non-turbo car (where it's $$$$ to get more power) the LSD is the best bang for the buck.

And do yourself a favor if you are looking for one - www.diffsonline.com
I got mine from Diffsonline. Dan is great.