THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Brief Electric Buzz sound while shifting to neutral. Help !!!

12-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
firstcar_228i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Melbourne Red

Brief Electric Buzz sound while shifting to neutral. Help !!!

Hello All,

Yesterday when I came back home. I shifted into R and then into P and heard a brief Electric "Buzzzzz" sound for a second.

I stopped the engine, started it again and shifted to R, N, D and P randomly and it buzzed sometimes and it didn't sometimes. Everytime it buzzed, it was for a brief 1 second and appeared to be coming from outside the car.

I have no idea if this is normal or anything I should be concerned about.

I would expect an old car to do this. But being a brand new car with 400 miles on it. I am a little bit worried.

Any kinda help or diagnosis is appreciated.

Note: If temperature has to do anything with this. It was 37 F outside when I did this.

Sorry wrong thread. It's a 228. If anyone can shift this one, it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Never had any buzz with the 8AT in mine (doesn't mater that you've posted in n55 forum, its the same transmission). Doesn't sound right. Take it to the dealer and let them have a look. Will be a warranty issue if anything is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
firstcar_228i
Enlisted Member
Rep

allthatisntnow Appreciate your feedback. Will take it to the dealer tomorrow. I just didn't want to look stupid when they tell me it's normal for every car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Experienced the "buzzing" sound (almost like a brief grinding sound) as well during low speeds usually during parking. Although I'm not sure what it is (thinking it is something to do with the headlight adjustment) I don't think it is anything serious as it happens on both transmissions (had a 8AT before I switched it to a 6MT).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Do the side mirrors rotate downward when you shift into reverse? Maybe you're hearing the mirror go back into position after you shift out of reverse? Idk, I don't get my car until March. :/
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
firstcar_228i
Enlisted Member
Rep

BentZero If you are referring to comfort package. No, I don't have that feature.

Ace604 It wasn't the headlight too. I spoke to the dealer and he was convinced that it's the solenoid that's making the buzz. He said, it's locking the control to other gears when you go to P/ D/ R.

He said it shouldn't be a problem. I am going to keep my ear out now and then to make sure the buzz won't get worse.
Appreciate 0