BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2, or i8 ..?

05-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

M2, or i8 ..?

Which will define BMW (as who they are) more..?
M2, or the i8 ..?

I have recently fell out of love for BMW, resisting it all the way... but over the last few years BMW floorplan has not mirrored anything I want in my stable. As it stand, many believe that the M2 is the last chance BMW has, in keeping long time die-hards and BMW enthusiasts.

(side note: The new M3/M4 did nothing for me, or my friends and none of us see either of them as quintessential)

So, with BMW announcing their new halo car and the pride of BMW.. how do YOU all see it. Will BMW on the streets, be known for their futuristic hybrid vehicles, or will BMW be defined over the coming years by the excitement it brings to the populace in the form their highest performance vehicle, like the M2..?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
M2, or the i8 ..?

I have recently fell out of love for BMW, resisting it all the way... but over the last few years BMW floorplan has not mirrored anything I want in my stable. As it stand, many believe that the M2 is the last chance BMW has, in keeping long time die-hards and BMW enthusiasts.

(side note: The new M3/M4 did nothing for me, or my friends and none of us see either of them as quintessential)

So, with BMW announcing their new halo car and the pride of BMW.. how do YOU all see it. Will BMW on the streets, be known for their futuristic hybrid vehicles, or will BMW be defined over the coming years by the excitement it brings to the populace in the form their highest performance vehicle, like the M2..?
as a fellow 135is owner....which i believe was THE LAST great 'organic' BMW coupe.....i don't think the M2 or the new M3/M4 will have the level of basic enjoyment as the older BMWs had with their uncomplicated engineering.

I do think, however, that the M2 will be able to override the current numbness in the BMW lineup and make things interesting at least. Will it be as 'fun' as the 1M? doubtful......but at least it will try to bring some enthusiasm back.

For the record, i REALLY like the new F80 M3's looks.....and will be keen to test drive one when they become available. I just hate how big it is. I am also ready to love the M2 and look forward to more details.

I am a big admirer of the i8, but the i8 is a whole new philosophy. A totally different approach to a sports car. Cars like the M2 are attempting to evolve the past definitions and approaches and are likely closer to the original BMW philosophy.

Last edited by IEDEI; 05-02-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

We'll see !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
M2, or the i8 ..?

I understand your frustration but BMW will not do a car solely for the die-hard BMW enthusiasts, as you put it, because unfortunately it wont sell.

Their best bet is to try to find a compromise between the older hardcore fans and the new (I want every new technology and more gadgets) prospects.

My opinion is they need to focus more on lightweight technology because by doing so they simultaneously get to make everyone somewhat happy. The caveat is that all this lightweight technology will push prices up thus taking away from the newer prospects that want to afford this name brand, as well as the older die-hard fans that have seen a tremendous increase in the BMW product over the past 15 years or so.

It interesting to see what they are going to decide to do. I am hopeful because one of my biggest concerns with Modern day BMWs is how much bigger and heavier they have gotten. With this new push for lightweight design technology and introducing new models like the 1 series and the 2 series, things are certainly looking up.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
People had very similar cries when BMW put turbo chargers in cars. It was called blasphemy and now here we see a post where someone is referring to the 135 as " the last organic bmw." Change is inevitable and the line up, technology and focus of the brand shape to a changing world and changing consumer demands. Im not saying I agree with any of it, I just take things for what they are and stay hopeful. I have no doubt the new M3 and M4 will be performers and absolutely sell.

If the M2 rumors are true, I think it will be an awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
People had very similar cries when BMW put turbo chargers in cars. It was called blasphemy and now here we see a post where someone is referring to the 135 as " the last organic bmw." Change is inevitable and the line up, technology and focus of the brand shape to a changing world and changing consumer demands. Im not saying I agree with any of it, I just take things for what they are and stay hopeful. I have no doubt the new M3 and M4 will be performers and absolutely sell.

good point. times change....might as well accept it and find new adventures!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes

135iS that is.

It was a bargain too !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
People had very similar cries when BMW put turbo chargers in cars. It was called blasphemy ...
That is something only someone would say who is not familiar with the true bmw heritage...
If there's one brand associated with the word turbo from a historic perspective, it's BMW!
Not only where they the first manufacturer to make a production vehicle with turbo charging (2002 turbo back in 1974, even before porsche (a brand really associated with turbo) went that road), but they also introduced turbo's in F1, the pinnacle of automotive engineering, producing the most powerful F1 engine ever, and consequently being responsible of turbo's being banned from F1 for a long time (til 2014).
So if there's one thing that should be associated with bmw (m) motorsports.... it's the turbo, as bmw /m devision are true turbo pioneers

I think the new m3 will be epic. Turbo with a2w2a cooling and short ducting. And lighter (thank god!).

Let's see what they will do with a possible m2. There is a risk that that will be a slight underengineerd car as they may not want to have it compete with the m3. The m2 platform is imho equally suited for the turbo m3 engine (that would be a nice combo), but it's likely it'll get a tuned down version ('tuned down'... that's never good is it?)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-02-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
That is something only someone would say who is not familiar with the true bmw heritage...
If there's any brand associated with the word turbo from a historic perspective, it's BMW!
Not only where they the first manufacturer to make a production vehicle with turbo charging (2002 turbo back in 1974, even before porsche (a brand really associated with turbo) went that road), but they also introduced turbo's in F1, the pinnacle of automotive engineering, producing the most powerful F1 engine ever, and consequently being responsible of turbo's being banned from F1 for a long time (til 2014).
So if there's one thing that should be associated with bmw (m) motorsports.... it's the turbo, as bmw /m devision are true turbo pioneers

Im not saying it is right - Im just saying people have been blasting on about it forever.

BMWs getting bigger and heavier
BMW SAV's
BMW's with Turbos
M5 with Turbos
M3 with Turbos
on-and-on-and-on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

The BMW brand is a world market seller and makes it's money on selling luxury vehicles that sell. The M Performance division is just a way to make them standout in the sporting car world. And they do a very good job in just that. What true BMW does is sell a car for the masses that appeals both in visual cues and desire to have. What's more, like in the USA, they have a strong financial service that allows medium income people/families to own a BMW vehicle. It is far easier to lease a BMW then some other luxury brands when compared to other companies residual values.

As far as the M division of BMW is concerned. They must take the corporate vehicle strategy and use that as their base platform. The M division uses it's history as a sports car leader to help sell BMW, and the reason why you can get M Performance designation on just about every line of vehicle they sell today. Personally, the M has loss it's true sports car mystic as a track killer over last decade or so. If the corporate office keeps increasing sales (as seen recently in the US market) they will keep building cars the way they are. Purest of the M brand take a backseat to the success of the company and it's revenue.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Oh come on that's not something from 'over the last decade'

In the mid 80's bmw already made a m535i next to the m5.
What bmw is doing now is exactly the same as they did 10 years ago, 20 years ago and 30 years ago.
And maybe they're even on the right track again: for the m235i there is a mechanical lsd available, something we havent seen in the last 15 years from bmw apart from the /m models. In the 80's and 90's that was a sold option (or stock) on a lot of bmw's. So not all's bad.
And as for /m in the 90's in the us.... an m3 that is about 80hp down on the european model that got a proper (s50) engine, so 'purists' of the /m brand has a lot to do with badge snobbery imho.
/m is a whole range of products and has aways been that. Some good, some bad and some awesome. Always judge the product for wat it physically is, not for the badge it carries or what history or 'lineage' it might have.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
MINInDalila
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK
Oh come on that's not something from 'over the last decade'

In the mid 80's bmw already made a m535i next to the m5.
What bmw is doing now is exactly the same as they did 10 years ago, 20 years ago and 30 years ago.
And maybe they're even on the right track again: for the m235i there is a mechanical lsd available, something we havent seen in the last 15 years from bmw apart from the /m models. In the 80's and 90's that was a sold option (or stock) on a lot of bmw's. So not all's bad.
And as for /m in the 90's in the us.... an m3 that is about 80hp down on the european model that got a proper (s50) engine, so 'purists' of the /m brand has a lot to do with badge snobbery imho.
/m is a whole range of products and has aways been that. Some good, some bad and some awesome. Always judge the product for wat it physically is, not for the badge it carries or what history or 'lineage' it might have.
Well stated!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
The i8 looks very interesting but so overpriced.

Not sure I would even trade it for my 128i(for 0$), even less pay 100$K to have one.

Still, I can't wait to see and try one in person, maybe it will change my opinion on it but I doubt.

So the M2 it would be. But it better have an inline 6.