THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning JB4 USB to glovebox install tips

03-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

JB4 USB to glovebox install tips

These instructions are in addition to the f30 install guide, which contains instructions for removing the cowl, etc.

I also removed the fuse box cover to give myself a little more room.

1. remove the kick panel under the glovebox: two 10mm nuts, then pull gently down on the panel below the glove compartment to unsnap 3 clips, then slide rearwards to unhook from guides towards front of footwell.
2. straighten a wire hanger and poke a hole in the small round grommet to the left of the fuse box in the engine bay.
3. push the wire hanger straight down towards the floor of the car, have someone inside guide the end into the passenger footwell
4. make a narrow loop of the end of the wire hanger
5. disassemble the DB9 end of the JB4 USB cable, using a DB pin extractor, pull the pins (being careful to note which pins went in which holes)
6. place the pins in the end of the loop on the wire hanger, tape up generously with electrical or other thin/strong tape
7. pull the hanger back through the firewall hole, while someone guides the loop inside through, keeping it flat to the firewall
8. pulling back through will likely dislodge the outer grommet, slide this back down and replace in firewall
9. gently cut the pin ends free from the hanger and re-assemble the DB9
10. the USB end can be routed under the footwell cover into the driver's side of the glovebox
11. re-assemble the footwell cover in the reverse order as above

The key parts of the install are guiding the hanger in both directions. I had my 9 year old daughter help me.

A couple of pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Nice to see you are in San Diego as well!

How's the car feel with this on it? I will be doing the install this week with some dyno testing.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Drives great. I come from a FBO N54 335i running race gas, so it's slow in comparison, but it's a work in progress.

Last edited by rwalker; 03-30-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0