THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

06-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #595
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
So most seem to run C to F on the left hand dial...does anyone ever adjust the right hand dial that regulates the RPM range in which the Rc is active and deactivated... default is 1500-3500 rpm...every additional change increases it by 150rpm so im told by RC that you should not exceed 3 or 4??...this is on the pro2 which im thinking of getting in the next month
I used to have a RC Ultimate. The 1 dial does nothing when turned, it's to adjust RPM range on diesel engines. On the M235i it will do nothing when turned. It does not hook up to the cam sensor or directly to ECU so there is no possible way for this 2 plug solution to adjust boost by RPM. Also, the effective range is not 1500-3500; again, it is a 2 sensor tuner that adjusts boost the same level across the entire RPM range. It is exactly like a JB stage 1 tune other than the tune box supposedly has a faster processer, but they are doing the same thing, changing boost the same across entire RPM range. If you want to adjust boost at different RPMs then get a JB4, flash tune or the AA8 tune has a pre-determined boost by RPM as it plugs into cam sensor as well, not customizable like JB4, but it is different at different RPMs.
      06-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #596
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
I used to have a RC Ultimate. The 1 dial does nothing when turned, it's to adjust RPM range on diesel engines. On the M235i it will do nothing when turned. It does not hook up to the cam sensor or directly to ECU so there is no possible way for this 2 plug solution to adjust boost by RPM. Also, the effective range is not 1500-3500; again, it is a 2 sensor tuner that adjusts boost the same level across the entire RPM range. It is exactly like a JB stage 1 tune other than the tune box supposedly has a faster processer, but they are doing the same thing, changing boost the same across entire RPM range. If you want to adjust boost at different RPMs then get a JB4, flash tune or the AA8 tune has a pre-determined boost by RPM as it plugs into cam sensor as well, not customizable like JB4, but it is different at different RPMs.
oh thats odd as i contacted the tech guys at RaceChip and said its for the M235 and they said different to what you have just said. So are they giving out incorrect info then on their stuff? Confused? heres the reply...

The performance on our homepage are the maximum values.

In the box you will have two rotary switches.

Switch "S1" is regulating the performance increase. On our default setting you have an increase of about 15%. Every further step with dial S1 is another increase of about 1.5%. Position ‘8’ is the minimum possible setting with an increase of approximately 5%.

Dial "S2" regulates the RPM range in which the RaceChip is active and also when it is being deactivated again. On our default setting it is active between 1500- 3500 RPM. Every additional dial change with S2 increases the active range by about 150 RPM. We recommend not exceeding position '3' or '4'.

So you can reach step by step the maximum power.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #597
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm lurking into this thread from time to time (as a user of an RC chip in my previous N20 528xi, and now - after reprogramming - on my M235i). I the few actual posts I made here, I stressed it many times that the RC support materials and people have always been strongly biased towards Diesel engines as they started making their boxes for them (gasoline engines came much later, only after turboed models became so widespread). Therefore when you ask for some dyno graphs for say the N55, they would send you a graph that shows "correct" values (i.e. the same they advertise for the N55 gains with RC), but strangely enough the curves are for RPM range typical for Diesel engines! This is probably also the reason an RC tech wrote this bullshit e-mail to you about how the second dial regulates the RPM range where boost increase is active...

So, kdog26372's explanation is totally valid (and I checked it on my two petrol engines), and the RC's support "expert" answer is bullshit. Remember all those boxes are virtually the same, and offering a "special" one for each engine model under the sun is just their marketing gimmick. Those guys will not think twice about which exactly engine you're asking; they will jus copy and paste a canned answer - very often coming from the times they only did Diesel engines.

BTW, at least in their instructional videos they do differential between Diesel and petrol engines, and if you watch one of them carefully they always stress the second dial is active with Diesle engines ONLY.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #598
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
oh thats odd as i contacted the tech guys at RaceChip and said its for the M235 and they said different to what you have just said. So are they giving out incorrect info then on their stuff? Confused? heres the reply...

The performance on our homepage are the maximum values.

In the box you will have two rotary switches.

Switch "S1" is regulating the performance increase. On our default setting you have an increase of about 15%. Every further step with dial S1 is another increase of about 1.5%. Position ‘8’ is the minimum possible setting with an increase of approximately 5%.

Dial "S2" regulates the RPM range in which the RaceChip is active and also when it is being deactivated again. On our default setting it is active between 1500- 3500 RPM. Every additional dial change with S2 increases the active range by about 150 RPM. We recommend not exceeding position '3' or '4'.

So you can reach step by step the maximum power.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Kind regards
My information is accurate. I owned the device, I have no vested interest in giving you wrong information and if you know anything about tuning solutions for our cars then you would fully understand what I am saying about 2 plug piggyback tunes, they simply can't control the range of power boost because they don't plug into the sensors or ECU that would allow that type of adjustment. The guys response to you was the incorrect information and it only applies to diesel engines as I said in my first post and further confirmed by the poster Moldcad above this. Go ahead and change the second dial and report back the fact that it did nothing because that is what will happen. I did like the tune overall, but all it does is adjust boost the same across the entire RPM band, not RPM specific, simple facts.
      06-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #599
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My information is accurate. I owned the device, I have no vested interest in giving you wrong information and if you know anything about tuning solutions for our cars then you would fully understand what I am saying about 2 plug piggyback tunes, they simply can't control the range of power boost because they don't plug into the sensors or ECU that would allow that type of adjustment. The guys response to you was the incorrect information and it only applies to diesel engines as I said in my first post and further confirmed by the poster Moldcad above this. Go ahead and change the second dial and report back the fact that it did nothing because that is what will happen. I did like the tune overall, but all it does is adjust boost the same across the entire RPM band, not RPM specific, simple facts.
i never said you were incorrect, i can see from looking at cables now its just a basic plug in as others, tad patronising reply from you though, ive been having cars mapped since late 80s started with RS turbos. so yeah 25 plus years prob before you born lol.. I just wondered why on earth they give out incorrect info and puts me of buying from them because of it.Maybe ill stay standard till im bored then jump to m4 in couple of years. but i wanted a quick plug in, i had actually messaged them back and said why are they giving me incorrect info, then they just send me pointless link to positive quotes from past customers...so simply avoided question.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #600
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i never said you were incorrect, i can see from looking at cables now its just a basic plug in as others, tad patronising reply from you though, ive been having cars mapped since late 80s started with RS turbos. so yeah 25 plus years prob before you born lol.. I just wondered why on earth they give out incorrect info and puts me of buying from them because of it.Maybe ill stay standard till im bored then jump to m4 in couple of years. but i wanted a quick plug in, i had actually messaged them back and said why are they giving me incorrect info, then they just send me pointless link to positive quotes from past customers...so simply avoided question.
Ah, sorry thought you said are "you" instead of are "they" giving out misinformation on the product. Swear that's what I read the first time? Either way. I'm not patronizing and I'm 44 not 20, so not sure why you think I'm a kid, but whatever. But, having your 1980's car mapped has nothing to do with this piggyback and does not really suggest knowledge on this topic. I'm far from an expert, I'd leave that to Terry at BMS for piggyback and customization or perhaps Enzo Performance for flash tunes if you're on the east coast. I am on my 3rd tuned BMW and have used a flash from Cobb on the 135i, the JB stage 1 and the RC Ultimate on the X3 and now the AA8 on the M235i, so just trying to share some useful knowledge on the forum. Race chip is a perfectly fine tune, but as you've discovered they have horrible customer service and others that have had issues with the box have had zero luck getting any help.

Cheers.
      06-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #601
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah, sorry thought you said are "you" instead of are "they" giving out misinformation on the product. Swear that's what I read the first time? Either way. I'm not patronizing and I'm 44 not 20, so not sure why you think I'm a kid, but whatever. But, having your 1980's car mapped has nothing to do with this piggyback and does not really suggest knowledge on this topic. I'm far from an expert, I'd leave that to Terry at BMS for piggyback and customization or perhaps Enzo Performance for flash tunes if you're on the east coast. I am on my 3rd tuned BMW and have used a flash from Cobb on the 135i, the JB stage 1 and the RC Ultimate on the X3 and now the AA8 on the M235i, so just trying to share some useful knowledge on the forum. Race chip is a perfectly fine tune, but as you've discovered they have horrible customer service and others that have had issues with the box have had zero luck getting any help.

Cheers.
now i have had another reply from them as i messaged them to ask why give wrong information and now they say oh yes only one dial works as you mentioned above. Anyway does make me nervous if they cant even get that bit of feedback correct first time. My other question does anyone have a rolling road read out of one of these on a 235. if i do get one ill post one up so everyone can actually see what these things really put out. I may get a rolling road standard in couple of weeks just to see what basic car is putting out first of all. Im going to a rolling road near me well known with a the jap tuner guys with gtrs as its called the heartbreaker, because it tends to give out REAL readings not inflated ones. I shall update when i get this done.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #602
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

I've not seen any independant testing done on our cars with this tune, but it should yield about 40-50 hp/tq given it's adding about 4 to 4.5psi of boost if I recall correctly. This should knock about a 1/2 second of 1/4 mile times and maybe 4 mph in traps. This is all theoretical, but that should be the ballpark assuming your car is excepting the new boost well and not pulling power. The nice thing with the dial is you can adjust it to see what is best for your car and fuel octanes. Some seem to turn the dial down and get a better power delivery others have turned it up a notch or 2.

1 thing I thought was odd was they say to get the appropriate dial setting for your car you start at the out of the box setting, turn it up a notch and drive for a few days, turn it up another notch, drive a few days until you get a check engine light or hesitations. This is kinda nuts, push the tune to the limits resulting in car bucking and creating check engine light, doesn't sound all that much thought went into the tune for this specific car.

Most other stage 1 - 2 and 3 plug tunes even if they have boost adjustments available suggest leaving it at the standard out of box level unless you are running higher octane. So, they have done the research, tried higher boost settings and probably got timing pulls or too high of IAT to feel the higher boost was safe at standard octane levels. RaceChip I think is more of a diesel tuner with a nice website and crappy customer service.

Again I did feel the RC Ultimate had a better power delivery when compared to the JB stage 1, but maybe it was just running different boost levels, I don't know why my car ran better as they are essentially the same thing in different boxes and the faster ECU in the RC I'm not sure would make that much if any difference. I did like that it was waterproof, but hated the fact the wire loop wasn't long enough to mount it under the plastic cover towards the windshield and the fact you've got to take out 8 tiny screws everytime you want to adjust the dials.

Will be interesting to see your results.
      06-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #603
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've not seen any independant testing done on our cars with this tune, but it should yield about 40-50 hp/tq given it's adding about 4 to 4.5psi of boost if I recall correctly. This should knock about a 1/2 second of 1/4 mile times and maybe 4 mph in traps. This is all theoretical, but that should be the ballpark assuming your car is excepting the new boost well and not pulling power. The nice thing with the dial is you can adjust it to see what is best for your car and fuel octanes. Some seem to turn the dial down and get a better power delivery others have turned it up a notch or 2.

1 thing I thought was odd was they say to get the appropriate dial setting for your car you start at the out of the box setting, turn it up a notch and drive for a few days, turn it up another notch, drive a few days until you get a check engine light or hesitations. This is kinda nuts, push the tune to the limits resulting in car bucking and creating check engine light, doesn't sound all that much thought went into the tune for this specific car.

Most other stage 1 - 2 and 3 plug tunes even if they have boost adjustments available suggest leaving it at the standard out of box level unless you are running higher octane. So, they have done the research, tried higher boost settings and probably got timing pulls or too high of IAT to feel the higher boost was safe at standard octane levels. RaceChip I think is more of a diesel tuner with a nice website and crappy customer service.

Again I did feel the RC Ultimate had a better power delivery when compared to the JB stage 1, but maybe it was just running different boost levels, I don't know why my car ran better as they are essentially the same thing in different boxes and the faster ECU in the RC I'm not sure would make that much if any difference. I did like that it was waterproof, but hated the fact the wire loop wasn't long enough to mount it under the plastic cover towards the windshield and the fact you've got to take out 8 tiny screws everytime you want to adjust the dials.

Will be interesting to see your results.
mm sounds intersting ..pros and cons of all i guess. Ill prob keep car two years i ran my 330 e92 4 years mapped to 295 bhp...not a fault that was a proper map though. It did eat through my manual gearbox however.
i think i may try one of these and do the rolling road after a few weeks and really see what results are like. Ill post up once i do it
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #604
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, I thought you already had bought this tune? If you haven't I'd avoid it for a couple reasons. 1st the customer service is bad as you've found. Second for the price $699 you can get a 3 sensor solution through Active Autowerke called AA8 that mounts to an existing bolt under a cover in the engine compartment, has the tune changing dial on the outside of the box making changes a simple job, and does in fact adjust boost by RPM level as it connects to the cam sensor as well. They are the same price, I've used both and the Active is the better option. I don't know what warranty RC offers, but Active has 1 year and they are an American company and easy to communicate with. Also members have posted actual 1/4 mile time slips with the Active tune and it appears to add the 50+ hp/tq to the wheels as claimed from the mid 12 1/4 mile slips.
      06-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #605
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

maybe ill order the racechip as today dam Golf R was racing me from around 60MPH upto 140MPH and he was spot on my tail, didnt leave him at all i thought i may slowly pull ahead and was like DAMMMM. unless he has had it remapped, many seem to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #606
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

well ive ordered the Racechip Pro. Sooooo ill post up in following weeks what i think of it...AND ...do the thing that no one seems to have done..post up some rolling road figures to actually see if this thing really does it job. As there are no real figures on line. If i dont see rolling road figures ill return it within the 14 day period.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #607
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
well ive ordered the Racechip Pro. Sooooo ill post up in following weeks what i think of it...AND ...do the thing that no one seems to have done..post up some rolling road figures to actually see if this thing really does it job. As there are no real figures on line. If i dont see rolling road figures ill return it within the 14 day period.
I thought you were selling your m235i ?

If buying a RCPro then is it a change of heart - decided to keep it ?

Was across in your neck of the woods yesterday at BoostedUK meet at Akeman Arms pub - could have taken you for a blast up the road in a Jb4 car !!!

Either way - if fit RCPro look fwd to reading your findings....

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #608
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I thought you were selling your m235i ?

If buying a RCPro then is it a change of heart - decided to keep it ?

Was across in your neck of the woods yesterday at BoostedUK meet at Akeman Arms pub - could have taken you for a blast up the road in a Jb4 car !!!

Either way - if fit RCPro look fwd to reading your findings....
Oh you were in tring then yes thats 4 mins up road...i missed that. I will keep the car for a bit but have been looking around at 4 door stuff still sporty models but we will see only if something good comes up. So im not gonna do any other engine mods just wanted a basic tune for that "little bit extra" so figured heck ill try the racechip and ive already booked rolling road in 2 weeks time to see exactly what difference in power there is. Everyone complains theres no dyno facts on these things so hopefully we will see if good or bad.?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #609
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Everyone complains theres no dyno facts on these things so hopefully we will see if good or bad.?
Lee,

Do you already have a baseline dyno with car as is ? This will be your baseline.

Make sure you have driven the car with RCPro fitted for about 300-500miles so as its had time to fully adapt to RCPro before putting it back on the dyno.

TBH - dynos aren't all that - its about how the car drives - if it RCPro gives what you want then don't waste your cash.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #610
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Lee,

Do you already have a baseline dyno with car as is ? This will be your baseline.

Make sure you have driven the car with RCPro fitted for about 300-500miles so as its had time to fully adapt to RCPro before putting it back on the dyno.

TBH - dynos aren't all that - its about how the car drives - if it RCPro gives what you want then don't waste your cash.

BP
I know the guys up road with dyno they are popular with a lot of the jap guys this dyno is known to be on conservative side too ive heard. i had my 400 bhp EVo 7 on here 13 years ago I have timed it so ill be able to put miles on with chip. Im driving 150 miles to bournemouth on fri, then after that wil bump up the setting to drive back and maybe upto D or E before the rolling road.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #611
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Lee,

Check with others using RC's or similar ie TMC TB as they can guide you better on whether or not car's DME has to re-adapt when changing settings.

Routine maybe same/similar for JB4 additive mode, maps 1 and 2. If so, then my advice would be find the setting is best suited to your car and your driving style then before dyno, then drive it like you stole it so as DME "learns upwards" during this adaption phase.....

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #612
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
I know the guys up road with dyno they are popular with a lot of the jap guys this dyno is known to be on conservative side too ive heard. i had my 400 bhp EVo 7 on here 13 years ago I have timed it so ill be able to put miles on with chip. Im driving 150 miles to bournemouth on fri, then after that wil bump up the setting to drive back and maybe upto D or E before the rolling road.
From historical posts, I've read B (maybe C) are the furthest you should go on a stock car running on 91. I'm not sure whats available in the UK but thought I'd just chime in with a precaution.

No one likes CELs or drive train malfunctions.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #613
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
From historical posts, I've read B (maybe C) are the furthest you should go on a stock car running on 91. I'm not sure whats available in the UK but thought I'd just chime in with a precaution.

No one likes CELs or drive train malfunctions.
B is already the base setting the unit comes set to. Actually seems few guys here run d or e comfortably, but ill go in stages and see how car drives. over here we have 98 and 99 ron fuel in most stations.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #614
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

well this arrived so ill go fit in an hours time and take for drive...get some miles on it before rolling road next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #615
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
B is already the base setting the unit comes set to. Actually seems few guys here run d or e comfortably, but ill go in stages and see how car drives. over here we have 98 and 99 ron fuel in most stations.
Yep yep. I have one and when I 1st started, I added a dial click once a week until I got to E. I didn't have any problems at all to be honest but I went back down slowly to C after I read people had issues. All we got in LA is 91 though
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #616
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Yep yep. I have one and when I 1st started, I added a dial click once a week until I got to E. I didn't have any problems at all to be honest but I went back down slowly to C after I read people had issues. All we got in LA is 91 though
are you still running yours now. how long have you had it installed.? I think i will go no higher than C or D max...ill get the rolling road done set at D if it runs well on that setting
Appreciate 1