THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW 2 Series Active Tourer Fully Revealed

Closed Thread

12-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #177
Tigershark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport

Simply hideous. Why bmw think they need to make this is beyond me. Are they so afraid of the (cheaper) competition that they have to enter markets that they don't belong? It will achieve nothing other than denting its premium image.
      12-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #178
MalibuZ4
Breakfast Director
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i (E89)

BMW´s first step into a big market. For example in Europe Mercedes B-class, VW Touran etc. are not just only soccer mom cars, as well the best-agers 55+ are the target group of these minivans. A high percentage of taxi fleets have changed from sedans to minivans here in Europe. I think that despite the non-sportive attitude of that 2-series minivan the car will make his way. I would not buy it.

2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i; Mojave/Havanna; pure-white nappa trim; BMW Performance wheels 313 19" (garage queen)
2005 BMW Z4 2.0i black sapphire metallic (dd)
1967 Volkswagen 1300 (Bug) survivor 50k mls (garage queen II)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #179
Dr.Sommer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RWD BMW with nat. asp. 6 cyl.

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
SCOTT26, I get that it is (a small part of) your job to spin and defend whatever your employer does on this board. But does it ever occur to you that, when there is such an overwhelmingly negative reaction from the online enthusiasts community, simply posting another one of your standard German-marketing-dribble-google-translated-to-English-sounding nonsense is really not going to 1. convince anybody who doesn't already like it and 2. make your employer look good?

I get why BMW wants to do this car. After all, it's not like there is a more purist luxury car company that people on this board can just jump to. Besides, the enthusiast community is only a small piece of your customer base.

But you can't deny that BMW, through the enormous sales success of the last decade, has been benefiting from its image as an uncompromising, performance oriented brand. Just because most Porsche owners never take their cars to the track does not mean that they don't care about the IDEA of driving something that is supposed to be a purist enthusiast car. Likewise, a typical 5 series owner may not be what you would call an enthusiast, but I would bet that he likes the idea of owning a car that people that know a lot more about cars than he does think is really cool. Enthusiasts community might be a small minority, but it is also one that, in the long run, has an out-sized influence on your brand image.

Now, can anyone honestly say that even if BMW was building FWD cars like this MPV throughout the 70's and 80's, it would still have the same brand image as it does now? Of course not. So essentially BMW is using up, rather than building up, its brand equity, at least in so far as it being a company that makes the Ultimate Driving Machines.

And I guess that's ok. It's clear that BMW wants to be what Mercedes should have been, the most dominant mainstream luxury car maker. And I'm sure that makes perfect business sense. But don't expect the enthusiast community to go along with it without a lot of bitching and moaning, especially when BMW doesn't even have the decency to not name this mini-mini-van a 2 series.

Really, people at BMW HAD TO know that this nomenclature would be met with ridicule from people that know enough about cars, and especially BMW. The clear message is that they don't really care. BMW not only had to do an MPV, but they had to name it a 2 series, because, why? Most likely so that it won't have to be renamed when the entire 2 series line up turn into FWD in ~5 years. But in the mean time, do expect a lot of ridicule from the small but vocal portion of your customer base, because frankly, it is pretty hilarious what BMW did here.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #180
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

In the automobile industry trends are continuously changing as are segments.
There are segments growing while some are in decline and some are dead.

The compact crossover segment is growing. Demand for compact crossovers is growing and BMW sought out to determine that if there is demand for a BMW badged concept for this segment.
The research was thorough and they did identify a market for the Active Tourer which was initially tested in global clinics. Reaction to the Concept has been excellent , over 100,000 registered interest , it will be interesting to see how many translate into sales.

From the beginning it was clear that Active Tourer had to competitive in this segment.
The usual BMW attributes would not be enough for the car to become commercially viable especially when the focus is primary for flexibility and extra space purpose.
The only way to achieve such a concept was to utilise FWD based architecture , if the Active Tourer was RWD it would not be competitive in that segment because of its lack of usability.
This segment is not about high performance, this customer simply wants an A-B vehicle that they can use for many purposes especially if they participate in many family activities.
We do know the expectations some have because it is a BMW and the engineers have worked on the car to make sure that certain BMW principles have been retained for those that have come from a BMW or those that expect these principles if coming from another manufacturer.
The Active Tourer is developed on new architecture which will provide more financial substance to the MINI brand in the actual core MINI hatch which will not just allow profit from personalisation but a general increase of cost per unit than previously.

One thing that manufacturers are now facing is strong dictation on legislation relating to efficiency and emissions.
Compact vehicles allow targets to be met and other models in the portfolio to be sustained against heavy financial penalties. Other manufacturers might enjoy having to pay heavy fines but BMW certainly do not.
Vehicles like the Active Tourer will allow BMW to meet legislative targets ahead of schedule without dilution of the core portfolio. The Active Tourer will also be available in eDrive format allowing electric mobility in an almost similar drivetrain as the Concept car.

The BMW image will be retained even by cars like the Active Tourer .
Even though they are investing in segments that provide growth that will help maintain the overall BMW strategy to remain independent and not be subject to another manufacturers influence.
There will still be RWD drivetrains under the 3er , 5er ,7er and additional models directed at an enthusiast base.

That is one strategy not changing. No matter what you think.
      12-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #181
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
marketing text
Why is it called 2 series?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #182
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Why is it called 2 series?
It's based on a complex model numbering formula:

12-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #183
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta
Ok, so why is this "thing" in the "BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet" forum?

Make a new one especially for this and please don't let us see it again in here.
Seriously, best post yet~!!!

Epic fail more ways than 1 !
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #184
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
There will still be RWD drivetrains under the 3er , 5er ,7er
But they are all TOO BLOODY BIG ........
      12-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #185
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Beautiful!

I will buy this for sure. Thanks BMW for a functional car with all that space with compact external dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #186
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Beautiful!

I will buy this for sure. Thanks BMW for a functional car with all that space with compact external dimensions.
Awesome - be sure to post your M sport with the obligatory wood grain on the side.
      12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #187
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Seriously, best post yet~!!!

Epic fail more ways than 1 !
I agree, this thing should have it's own section, not part of 2 Series.
      12-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #188
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

garbage!
      12-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #189
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

In other news, Porsche will rename its new CUV the Boxster GT tourer. The Cayenne will also be renamed the 911 Carrera GT tourer. Porsche spokesperson says this move will ensure the separation between their core models and their sports cars, and in no way betrays the plan to become a manufacturer of SUVs in the mold of Land Rover.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #190
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Why again isn't this called the X2.. ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #191
w3rkn
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I hate this as much as everyone else, but I see a lot of people saying they will not buy another BMW, they will look elsewhere, etc. etc.

Unfortunately the reality is these are empty threats, very few will actually vote with their wallets when it comes down to it, most will run right back to the BMW dealer for their next car anyway.
What..?

I don't know if you've noticed, but step away from the BMW brand and actually see what is out there (or coming). BMW is getting owned by other brands. Just compare the 3 series to Cadillac in both ride and nimbleness. Caddy wins every time..!! (even AWD caddy is more nimble than a 3-series)

People bought BMWs because they use to be special cars, now they are normal, with just a special emblem.

BMWs have no core, & little dna left in their brand. M's are more powerful now, but not as special anymore. BMW has to learn that MoAr is not the same as more.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #192
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

The compact crossover segment is growing. Demand for compact crossovers is growing and BMW sought out to determine that if there is demand for a BMW badged concept for this segment.
The research was thorough and they did identify a market for the Active Tourer which was initially tested in global clinics. Reaction to the Concept has been excellent , over 100,000 registered interest , it will be interesting to see how many translate into sales.

From the beginning it was clear that Active Tourer had to competitive in this segment.
The usual BMW attributes would not be enough for the car to become commercially viable especially when the focus is primary for flexibility and extra space purpose.
The only way to achieve such a concept was to utilise FWD based architecture , if the Active Tourer was RWD it would not be competitive in that segment because of its lack of usability.
This segment is not about high performance, this customer simply wants an A-B vehicle that they can use for many purposes especially if they participate in many family activities.
We do know the expectations some have because it is a BMW and the engineers have worked on the car to make sure that certain BMW principles have been retained for those that have come from a BMW or those that expect these principles if coming from another manufacturer.
The Active Tourer is developed on new architecture which will provide more financial substance to the MINI brand in the actual core MINI hatch which will not just allow profit from personalisation but a general increase of cost per unit than previously.

One thing that manufacturers are now facing is strong dictation on legislation relating to efficiency and emissions.
Compact vehicles allow targets to be met and other models in the portfolio to be sustained against heavy financial penalties. Other manufacturers might enjoy having to pay heavy fines but BMW certainly do not.
Vehicles like the Active Tourer will allow BMW to meet legislative targets ahead of schedule without dilution of the core portfolio. The Active Tourer will also be available in eDrive format allowing electric mobility in an almost similar drivetrain as the Concept car.

Even though they are investing in segments that provide growth that will help maintain the overall BMW strategy to remain independent and not be subject to another manufacturers influence.
There will still be RWD drivetrains under the 3er , 5er ,7er and additional models directed at an enthusiast base.

BMW quality is the common factor in the fleet which enables BMW to enter new product positionings to compete in new lucrative segments such as this one. The strategy works great. I analyzed BMW's figures a couple of years ago, but the success that has realized since then is beyond all the expectations. BMW is the only star in the industry. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #193
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26

Scott

Problem is we see through all this marketing stuff that try's to brainwash people. BMW is a bit like a big bank it's getting too big, thinks it can conquer every segment of the market and is losing touch with its grass root enthusiasts.

Some of the recent product launches show it's expanding too rapidly with only slightly above average new products instead of truly great cars. BMW has to produce more volume because it's hooked like a drug on the need to beat Mercedes and Audi. Must be no1 almost at all cost.

It's made a deliberate decision to call this Tourer a 2 just to give it a bit of a premium image and as BMW want to sell many thousands more than the coupe and cab it has calculated that it doesn't mind upsetting a few traditional owners of those cars. BMW Marketing will have convinced the Board there are lots of new people it can bring to the brand with this fwd Tourer!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #194
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Scott

Problem is we see through all this marketing stuff that try's to brainwash people. BMW is a bit like a big bank it's getting too big, thinks it can conquer every segment of the market and is losing touch with its grass root enthusiasts.

Some of the recent product launches show it's expanding too rapidly with only slightly above average new products instead of truly great cars. BMW has to produce more volume because it's hooked like a drug on the need to beat Mercedes and Audi. Must be no1 almost at all cost.

It's made a deliberate decision to call this Tourer a 2 just to give it a bit of a premium image and as BMW want to sell many thousands more than the coupe and cab it has calculated that it doesn't mind upsetting a few traditional owners of those cars. BMW Marketing will have convinced the Board there are lots of new people it can bring to the brand with this fwd Tourer!
In this age you cannot stay within your own comfort zone for BMW and any other manufacturer you have to branch out and you have to appeal to new customers.
The landscape has changed , progressed that you cannot, in certain vehicle concepts appeal to one type of customer. If we take BMW as an example the enthusiast base is outsold 10-1 these days. You might mock the Active Tourer but there is no denying that customers will want this type of premium in that specific segment as an Example Mercedes-Benz has just sold the 1 millionth unit of the B-Klasse of course that is in its second generation.

You might say I am buying an Audi but the A3 version is expected to appear as a concept in Geneva. Manufactures follow trends , they research what customers are looking for in a vehicle and in that sort of crossover you have to be competitive in specific areas.

Look at what Porsche done with Cayenne and Macan or indeed Audis latest announcement for more Q SUVs and indeed BMW and the expanding X models.
The market has progressed as has the customer the company must also progress also. And sooner or later everyone will have to.

The "2" is to show a split in this model line allowing family at one end of the spectrum with sporty on the other end. The next 1er line of vehicles will align more closely with MINI.
      12-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #195
w3rkn
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Why would BMW try this, instead of just bringing over the 1-series (2-series) hatchback?

Almost any male driver, would rather be caught in a HOT hatch, than a minivan. You just need a HATCH... of any kind to offer an American utility. You don't need it in the guise of a mini-van, or even an suv/sav. Put a hatch on it, instantly it can be used for taking your lawnmower over to a friends, drum kits, animals, hauling from lumber yard.. etc.

I have a 135is... would trade it instantly for a 128i AWD hatchback. Simply because my 135is is not usable for much, so I need an extra vehicle. But give a vehicle like the 135is utility, & you have a smash hit in America.

Instead, BMW is trying to compete with a Ford escape..?

Coincidentally, "BMW can branch out and reach new customers" with hatchbacks, because they already have the X1. Exactly how is the 2-series Active Tourer any diff for a family shopping and X1, over this?

People have been screaming for BMW hatchbacks for years & Americans already have TONS of suv/savs to choose from.. but zero performance hatchbacks.

Last edited by w3rkn; 12-28-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #196
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:

The "2" is to show a split in this model line allowing family at one end of the spectrum with sporty on the other end. The next 1er line of vehicles will align more closely with MINI.
I get why BMW needs to do this type of vehicle, if we accept that the best way forward for the company is to maintain the title of the volume leader. But the above sentence still does not explain why BMW decided to name this the 2er. It is "to show a split"? What does that even mean? So if BMW takes the partnership with Toyota one step further and develop a minivan based on the Sienna, should it name it the 6 series Active Touring ecoDrive whatever to also "show the split" in the 6 series model line, "allowing family at one end of the spectrum with sporty on the other end"?

It's all marketing BS, the real answer of course lies in your comparison to the B-klasse. The B is a step up from the A in Mercedes lineup, so BMW figured this thing should also be a step up from the regular hatch. The same reason why the 4 series has been spun off from the 3 after BMW noticed the success of the A5. "Oh but coupes being even numbered is just more logical!" Yeah well, witness the German logic with this new 2 series MPV.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #197
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
the tail lights look better than the 228/235
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #198