BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Our BMW M2 Preview Rendering. Concept to Debut Frankfurt 2015

11-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #243
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
LOL!!
Thank god these people are not buying a Lambo they will be like I will take it but can you make it look like a minivan. LOL!!!!
They can.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #244
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

The M2 shouldn't be anything less than garish, it doesn't need to fit in - that's what the rest of the ///M line is for.

Oh, you don't like the flares and bulges? Great, we can sell you an M3/M4 instead.

It'll be like that, just watch.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #245
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Meh, I still think you can just take the cues from the M235i racing, and be pretty close to what it will be.

Nope. There are some key differences we know are happening:

* The vender flares will be blended, not add-ons like the ones that are used on the M235i Racing
* The front air dam will use the M styling, not the M sport styling; / \ versus \ /
* The front air dam will have the "fangs" that we see here on this rendering.

So basically, the only thing we can draw from the M235i Racing is the visual width, but nothing more.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 11-06-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #246
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate the effort for the renders.

One thing I'm hoping is not correct about the render is all the space on the bumper above the fangs (see yellow arrow below). Looks very awkward and makes the intakes look decidedly smaller than on the M235i. The sketch Scott posted shows a different story, while still incorporating the fangs.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #247
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
pretty sick. hopefully the ass is a lot more aggressive then the current F chassis cars. theyre so boring imho
      11-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #248
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

One thing I'm hoping is not correct about the render is all the space on the bumper above the fangs (see yellow arrow below). Looks very awkward and makes the intakes look decidedly smaller than on the M235i. The sketch Scott posted shows a different story, while still incorporating the fangs.
Yeah, I agree... but no one took my suggestions /notes either...
      11-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #249
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Yeah, I agree... but no one took my suggestions /notes either...
If I recall, the camouflaged 1M prototypes had the air curtains covered up entirely (or they were non-existent at some point), so I definitely think it's possible the final M2 will utilize more of the bumper area than depicted here.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #250
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think the point is open for debate - I have ridden in a new M3, and some of the visceral experience is lost upon you for sure - lack of induction/engine noise and a "different" type of exhaust note.

It is clearly a very, very fast car - I think what he is saying has been echoed by others - in the auto rag press and on here - that the car is very very good, but represents the continuation of BMW shifting away from its roots more in each subsequent generation.

To me, it is similar to the MT vs. DCT conversation - one is more about feel and experience, and the other is more about precision and speed. The same analogy can be made to the changes that are effected as each generation of cars gets bigger, heavier, faster, and more complicated.

Just my $.02...

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't need a N/A V8 for me to have a visceral experience. The M division have done a wonderful job to improve the M3/M4 from its previous generation. IMO I personally prefer the sound of the S55 to the S65 with stock exhaust.

Its not so much BMW is shifting away from its roots, its where the game is headed. With all of the new emission regulations every manufacture will be forced to go turbo charged pretty soon. I feel they did an outstanding job of maintaining their M roots. I've driven the e92 M3 countless amount of times, on a racetrack and on the road and when I compare it to my M4 I don't think my car lost some of its M DNA, I actually feel its the best M car yet. Look man.. this happens with every new generation M car, you get the previous generation guys bash the new one until they make the trade themselves.

Now this guy saying the new M3 drives and sounds like a 335 is ignorant, He clearly has never been behind the wheel of the F80. I also own a 335is.. the one with the N54 engine and hydraulic steering and My M4 handles and sounds nothing like it.
I usually stay away from replying when people debate opinions and not facts. However, I wanted to correct you and say I have driven both the new M5 and the new M3 as possible replacements for my E90 M3. They both do not appeal to me. When I said the M3 sound like a 335i I was not referring not only to the exhaust note, but to the overall experience behind the wheel. The cars are fast, but I left the dealer disappointed with both. They appeared to me as luxury fast cars and lost the "go kart" experience of other 3 past generations. I know because I purchased all of them. That is why I am looking and hoping the M2 would be different. That's all. I respect the fact you enjoy your new M3 car, but it is not for me. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #251
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I don't need a N/A V8 for me to have a visceral experience. The M division have done a wonderful job to improve the M3/M4 from its previous generation. IMO I personally prefer the sound of the S55 to the S65 with stock exhaust.

Its not so much BMW is shifting away from its roots, its where the game is headed. With all of the new emission regulations every manufacture will be forced to go turbo charged pretty soon. I feel they did an outstanding job of maintaining their M roots. I've driven the e92 M3 countless amount of times, on a racetrack and on the road and when I compare it to my M4 I don't think my car lost some of its M DNA, I actually feel its the best M car yet. Look man.. this happens with every new generation M car, you get the previous generation guys bash the new one until they make the trade themselves.

Now this guy saying the new M3 drives and sounds like a 335 is ignorant, He clearly has never been behind the wheel of the F80. I also own a 335is.. the one with the N54 engine and hydraulic steering and My M4 handles and sounds nothing like it.
I hear what you're saying - I think I am somewhere in the middle, where I am missing portions of the "past" and am at the same time excited about the newest and greatest things that are being put forth in the new ///M cars.

Like I said before, I have ridden in but not driven the new M3 - and it was very very fast. But it certainly was a different experience than my dad's M coupe with the S54...and that's not good or bad - it was just different in many different viewpoints.

The great thing about the forums is that they gives us all a place to debate the cars that we love - to me, the new M3 sounds kind of farty - but it definitely sounds better than my M235 - it is all relative when you think of it that way. Most of those complaints are likley grounded in the major differences between a NA V8 and a FI I6 - to your point, different strokes for different folks.
      11-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #252
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
I don't really care about the subtle styling differences - it's so subjective I'll get used to it. Just make it look wide and low without a bunch of junk stuck on to make it look fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #253
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Like I said I disagree with you.

If I wanted a sedated aggressive look than I would get a 228i with M package. I want an M car to look, feel, sound and perform like a hyper performance version that it is of a regular series.

Your example of Porsche is hilarious in my opinion because they are worst revolutionary exterior designed cars in my opinion. No one goes "OH MY GOSH" what a nice looking car when they see Porsche 911. They are universally praised for their driving dynamics which are top class. The exterior design is boring has been same give or take a tweak here or tweak there. They are not praised universally for their awesome exterior design. Now 918 hybrid super car is gorgeous though or the Carrera GT super car of yester years. Thus, to me Porsche is the last car which BMW needs to copy in strategy of exterior design themes from regular model to performance model. Now driving dynamics BMW could learn a thing or two from Porsche but that is a story for another day.

As for super cars are different category and can get away with it idea you threw out there. Sure they are no one is debating that as a matter of fact they are every boys childhood dreams full of performance, power and super aggressive sexy looks. However, most normal people like me will not be buying a super car anytime soon. My super car will be things that I can afford the likes of maybe M2 or M3/M4. Thus, I want them to be made up of those same every boy childhood dreams full of performance, power, and super aggressive looks with a bit of practicality for my daily use thrown in. Because otherwise I would have bought an M235i and called it a day.

Once again if I wanted boring sedated looks I would go buy a non sport pkg 228i and put a tune on it to make it slightly faster or if I was feeling that it should be sedated aggressive I would get M235i. But when I want an M2 I want it to be a poor man's super car made to look the part so that it even looks fast just standing still with its aggressive looks. So the old man walking by in neighborhood with his walking stick stops by and looks at it standing still and yells "SLOW DOWN cough cough"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
See below picture. This racing version of the 235i looks very very good and that is what I hope the M2 will look like. It says: "I mean business" but it's not drawing too much attention towards itself (I'm talking about the design of the bumper not the stickers, decals, stripes, etc.). The rendering of the M2 in this thread is a bit overboard in my opinion. It looks like it's trying to hard, drawing too much attention towards itself. Like I said, overly aggressive. Look at a 911 GT3; that is not a car you would deem as looking aggressive at all yet you look at it and instantly you're thinking it belongs on a track. The same goes with the M3/M4. In fact, this latest M3/M4 looks less aggressive than the previous E9x M3 and more like all the other generations of M3s we've seen in the past in terms of how 'aggressive' the car looks.

Lamborghini's are a totally different breed. It's a supercar and they're brutal, they deserve that uber aggressive look and it looks great on them. BMW has never been a brand to make that kind of car. The M3 is about balance and the look it wears should show it.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 11-07-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #254
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some one lock this guy up who did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post
They can.

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #255
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some one lock this guy up who did this
Hehe, that was from that one show...ultimate car buildoff I think.

As for the M2, I think the front bumper will start off the M Divisions gradual evolution from curvy to angular...I think we might see parts of this in the next gen M5/M6!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #256
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
No one goes "OH MY GOSH" what a nice looking car when they see Porsche 911.
While I'm biased towards the early 70's Porsches in the looks department as my father had one for several years, I've got to disagree that all current 911s look boring.There are a few current models that look stunning to my eye - specifically the new 991 Targa model and the 50th Annversary 911 (the latter in pearl white is gorgeous).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #257
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

I am hoping someone takes the initiative to render...
      11-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #258
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
While I'm biased towards the early 70's Porsches in the looks department as my father had one for several years, I've got to disagree that all current 911s look boring.There are a few current models that look stunning to my eye - specifically the new 991 Targa model and the 50th Annversary 911 (the latter in pearl white is gorgeous).
Meh. For years I've thought the Cayman was the much more attractive Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #259
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Meh. For years I've thought the Cayman was the much more attractive Porsche.
911 Turbo > Cayman GTS > cheaper 911's > cheaper caymans

That's my order in terms of looks for current gen.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #260
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Alright, enough with the steroid beetles... we're here to talk about BMW potentially making The Ultimate Driving Machine that BMW needed so much to stop them from becoming a better-grilled version of Audi. I got a good feeling about the M2. I think whatever BMW comes up with, looks to performance, It'll somehow bring BMW back to who they were while also leading them into their future angular, pinchy-eyed style.

This is just my prediction that isn't based on M2 rumors.

-Das
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #261
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If that is all you came back as Porsche after 50 years of exterior design than I call it pretty boring. Honestly, I would take the M4 over 911 styling wise any day.... even though M4 is not all that aggressive styling either they chopped its balls off from concept to production. But at least people do not have to go hmmmm is this 2007 model or 2014 model like they do with Porsche 911. Bottom line is that Porsche is not known for ground breaking breath taking exterior designs they can learn a few things from Ferrari on that area tired of same ol vanilla styling from Porsche with a pinch of cinnamon dashed on top. That is if they get very daring. Did I say pinch I meant to say 1/4th of a pinch.

Ground breaking or daring styling is something like BMW i8 or Audi R8 or 458 Itallia or Aventador or MC 650s I mean you look at them and you start drooling its not for grandpa folks offcourse lol!!.

My favorite off course below never built but wish somebody at Mazda would get balls big enough to partner up with a big car maker and build this unique work of art. Looks like you are driving a F22 raptor gen 6th fighter jet. Car makers need to make daring style take a bit of risk. Tired of evolutionary want revolutionary. For all those that will not get this type of styling I feel sorry and I am glad you are happy with your plain Jane Toyota Prius styling so you do not stand out.

But for me this is breath taking styling is what childhood boy dreams are made up of....OMG!! kind of fury of aggressive style, even looks fast standing still making grand pa yell out in drive way "DIDN'T I cough cough SAAAY SLOW DOWN FOOL" but grand pa its turned off......"Cough I DON'T CARE LOOKS TOO FAST"....

Please Mazda grow balls and make this a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post

Last edited by Kayani_1; 11-08-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #262
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I am hoping someone takes the initiative to render...
Yes, you've basically placed all the dots for the forum, but it looks like no one wants to connect them. Still even without a render, we understand you. But having a hardcopy ( that makes more hype) would be great.
      11-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #263
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
If that is all you came back as Porsche after 50 years of exterior design than I call it pretty boring. Honestly, I would take the M4 over 911 styling wise any day.... even though M4 is not all that aggressive styling either they chopped its balls off from concept to production. But at least people do not have to go hmmmm is this 2007 model or 2014 model like they do with Porsche 911. Bottom line is that Porsche is not known for ground breaking breath taking exterior designs they can learn a few things from Ferrari on that area tired of same ol vanilla styling from Porsche with a pinch of cinnamon dashed on top. That is if they get very daring. Did I say pinch I meant to say 1/4th of a pinch.

Ground breaking or daring styling is something like BMW i8 or Audi R8 or 458 Itallia or Aventador or MC 650s I mean you look at them and you start drooling its not for grandpa folks offcourse lol!!.

My favorite off course below never built but wish somebody at Mazda would get balls big enough to partner up with a big car maker and build this unique work of art. Looks like you are driving a F22 raptor gen 6th fighter jet. Car makers need to make daring style take a bit of risk. Tired of evolutionary want revolutionary. For all those that will not get this type of styling I feel sorry and I am glad you are happy with your plain Jane Toyota Prius styling so you do not stand out.

But for me this is breath taking styling is what childhood boy dreams are made up of....OMG!! kind of fury of aggressive style, even looks fast standing still making grand pa yell out in drive way "DIDN'T I cough cough SAAAY SLOW DOWN FOOL" but grand pa its turned off......"Cough I DON'T CARE LOOKS TOO FAST"....

Please Mazda grow balls and make this a reality.

That is absolutely hideous. Kill it with fire. Reminds me of the Homer Simpson mobile.
      11-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #264
DC52E55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
That is absolutely hideous. Kill it with fire.
Sadly, they did.

IMHO, that car was gorgeous.
Appreciate 0