THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Left Brake Lamp Malfunction message, extended warranty

05-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
2breezy
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i vert

Left Brake Lamp Malfunction message, extended warranty

I had the stop light error message. Talked to my service manager and showed them the extended warranty which just barely covered my 2015 M235i vert from date of in service.

They fixed it, and supposedly did both sides. During which they said that the rear electronic control unit was also bad and replaced. During this visit they also nuked my main head unit while coding the rear unit. Replaced this also. Charged my about $100 as they said problem was rear electronic unit.

Now several months later I'm getting the Left Stop Light error again. Brake light works. Will check that they did add the extra wire on the warranty fix. Only going back if that doesn't work. I don't plan on having them doing my service. Will DIY.

Plan on flushing my brake fluid tomorrow. Speaking of which; Do you reset the brake fluid service on the trip computer like older BMWs? I have the Autophix 7910, so will check that also.

Is there anyway of registering DIY services so they show up on CarFax like dealer service does?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post
Plan on flushing my brake fluid tomorrow. Speaking of which; Do you reset the brake fluid service on the trip computer like older BMWs?
HA! So am I! (I was actually planning on going that today, but other things took me longer than expected.) I don't believe brake fluid has a service interval in iDrive, so I don't think you have to reset it. My guess is BMW probably considers brake fluid a "lifetime" fluid, like so many other "lifetime" fluids which should be replaced eventually (ATF comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post
Is there anyway of registering DIY services so they show up on CarFax like dealer service does?
I have no idea about being able to register services; I just keep receipts and enter dates/mileage in my log.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
HA! So am I! (I was actually planning on going that today, but other things took me longer than expected.) I don't believe brake fluid has a service interval in iDrive, so I don't think you have to reset it. My guess is BMW probably considers brake fluid a "lifetime" fluid, like so many other "lifetime" fluids which should be replaced eventually (ATF comes to mind).

I have no idea about being able to register services; I just keep receipts and enter dates/mileage in my log.
Brake fluid has a 3-year interval in the iDrive service menu for the first service from vehicle build date, then 2-year interval after that. In North America the first change is covered under the free service items..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

And you need ISTA (or similar software) to cycle the ABS and get the fluid out of it. Not as crucial if you are not changing the type of fluid, and don't track the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
2breezy
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i vert

Reset!

Ok...figured out how to reset the brake fluid. Saw several videos stating press the set/reset button. I was pressing the scroll button on the trip computer. Didn't even know that button on the lower left display existed.

Ignition on/engine off, press and hold newfound button, see reset available, press hold, press hold, it resets the service interval.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
SOLOMEK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Regarding your original issue, any parts and labor from repairs using OEM parts are usually covered for 12K miles and/or 1 year. Look on your receipt for terms.