THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best exclusionary 3rd party warranty

07-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Best exclusionary 3rd party warranty

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 M235i 8AT. Not seeing a ton on here about this, but are there any companies you'd recommend for a 3rd party exclusionary warranty? I got one quote from Concord for about $2300 for 3/36. Mostly looking for electronics and the ZHP gearbox to be covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Very interested in this info too

An SA posted the following companies last year but I can’t speak to their products first hand: Safeguard, Fidelity, Zurich, easy care, CNA
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Fidelity & Zurich I’ve heard great things about but they don’t seem to sell direct?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Ask your Service Manager about warranty companies he has interacted with. I would not buy any warranty until I verified that my local BMW dealer would accept it.

I used Warranty Direct about 15 years ago on a car that just ended it's manufacturer's warranty and was pleased with it. However, even the best exclusionary policies can have some "gotchas". For warranty direct, my car had an expensive self-leveling headlight system and they do not cover anything associated with lights because it is considered a "wear item". I knew this going in and thought the likelihood of a self-leveling failure was rare. Also, Warranty Direct did not cover any fluids (such as coolant when replacing a thermostat) and would not pay for any diagnostic fees. So while Warranty Direct, was significantly cheaper than the manufacturer's extended warranty, over the life of the warranty it worked out to be the same because the manufacturer covered fluids (and the lights but I never had to fix them) and would not allow the dealer to charge a diagnostic fee to them or me.

IMO the best extended warranty deal is offered by CarMax on the cars they sell. I got a 5 year 50K, $250 deductible, bumper to bumper on my 1er for about $2K which paid for itself in 6 months. The deductible drops to $150 if you take it to Carmax for repair and if they can't fix it (which is usually the case), they will send it to a BMW dealer with no increase in the deductible.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Ask your Service Manager about warranty companies he has interacted with. I would not buy any warranty until I verified that my local BMW dealer would accept it.

I used Warranty Direct about 15 years ago on a car that just ended it's manufacturer's warranty and was pleased with it. However, even the best exclusionary policies can have some "gotchas". For warranty direct, my car had an expensive self-leveling headlight system and they do not cover anything associated with lights because it is considered a "wear item". I knew this going in and thought the likelihood of a self-leveling failure was rare. Also, Warranty Direct did not cover any fluids (such as coolant when replacing a thermostat) and would not pay for any diagnostic fees. So while Warranty Direct, was significantly cheaper than the manufacturer's extended warranty, over the life of the warranty it worked out to be the same because the manufacturer covered fluids (and the lights but I never had to fix them) and would not allow the dealer to charge a diagnostic fee to them or me.

IMO the best extended warranty deal is offered by CarMax on the cars they sell. I got a 5 year 50K, $250 deductible, bumper to bumper on my 1er for about $2K which paid for itself in 6 months. The deductible drops to $150 if you take it to Carmax for repair and if they can't fix it (which is usually the case), they will send it to a BMW dealer with no increase in the deductible.
Yes, Warranty Direct comes really highly recommended but it doesn't seem like they're selling cars there anymore.

MaxCare is the best deal you can get, but only for cars purchased through Carmax unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback! I might give Warranty Direct a call anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Can I get a BMW warranty for a car I already own?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
Aytechhd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I bought my 2016 BMW 228i from carvana... I know not the best place to buy a car.

However I got a pretty nice deal imo. 1k down $500/month. 30k out the door including tax, registration, and interest. I don't have the greatest credit so its the best price I could have gotten.

The car has only 20k miles on it.

I got an extended warranty through carvana for around 2k. That's included in the 30k price.

6 years 90k miles. Almost everything is covered... all I have to do is pay a $50 deductible.

The warranty is provided by silver rock.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Can I get a BMW warranty for a car I already own?
Yes, you used to have to get it before the factory warranty ran out but I'm not sure if that is true now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
drodrig2
Rep
Drives: m235i

The best 3rd party warranty I found is Maxcare from CarMax. Yes you have to buy the car from them but when the BMW vehicle breaks you just take it to a BMW dealership for service work. I would also suggest getting the lowest deductable Maxcare warranty. I have bought my last three BMW's from them because of their warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Honda doesn't sell many Honda Care warranty and most dealerships use CNA for Honda....chatted with them about admin/towing etc. Talked to knowledgeable folks...never put claim in.

Birdeye and google reviews pretty strong, esp. for a warranty company.
Appreciate 0