THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technical info on the drive modes

07-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Anyone has technical data on exactly what changes between the modes? Specifically I want to understand what changes in the throttle mapping? Am I getting the same level of boost at a given RPM/engine load? Is the difference only in throttle sensitivity? Or do you get more HP/torque? How about sport vs sport plus?

I just finished breaking in the car and just starting to push and experiment with the different modes..

Eco pro is pathetic and lame by the way !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I'm also curious about Sport vs Sport+. It was my understanding that the only difference is the amount of traction control but everything else between the two modes is the same, is that correct?
      07-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

depends how you configure it on iDrive...

you can set Sport to , chassis only, drivetrain only, or both
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Lets say you leave it as the car comes, chassis and drivetrain in Sport...would Sport and Sport+ then be exactly the same aside from different traction control parameters?
      07-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

it should be as far as I understand
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
depends how you configure it on iDrive...

you can set Sport to , chassis only, drivetrain only, or both
it has nothing to do with settings, you misunderstood the question. the question is about the difference between the two SPORT modes.

i tried both many times, and i do belive the only difference is dtc
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

I didn't misunderstand....

if you configure sport as (only chassis), then difference between sport and sport+ is that sport+ also has drivetrain & DTC

if you configure sport as (only drivetrain), then difference between sport and sport+ is that sport+ also has chassis & DTC

if you configure sport to (both) then only difference is DTC
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
I didn't misunderstand....

if you configure sport as (only chassis), then difference between sport and sport+ is that sport+ also has drivetrain & DTC

if you configure sport as (only drivetrain), then difference between sport and sport+ is that sport+ also has chassis & DTC

if you configure sport to (both) then only difference is DTC
hm good point, i wouldn't be so sure, but it is definitely possible. i actually think that sport setting changes in iDrive affect both sport modes. but that's my guessing only.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

no... it actually doesn't....

sport + is fixed to (drivetrain & chassis) & DTC

you can easily test by configuring sport to just chassis and you will see that when you go to sport + it will automatically downshift....

same if you do only drivetrain you will see that sport+ the steering gets heavier
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
no... it actually doesn't....

sport + is fixed to (drivetrain & chassis) & DTC

you can easily test by configuring sport to just chassis and you will see that when you go to sport + it will automatically downshift....

same if you do only drivetrain you will see that sport+ the steering gets heavier
I have a 335i Msport with the M adaptive suspension, which I think is the same in the M235i or 228i with the option.

If sport mode is configured to have both "drive train" and "chassis" in sport mode, then the only difference with sport+ is that traction goes into
"dynamic" mode.
That means traction control is still there but the system has increased rear tire slip before intervening.
If you are not in sport+ mode you can still activate 'dynamic' mode by pressing the DSC button without holding it down.

If you want to turn DSC and DTC completely off, then hold down the DSC button for at least 5 seconds until the DSC off icon appears.
This is the same as it was on the 1 series as well.

Typically I set my M adaptive mode to 'chassis' only so that I have the firmer steering and full sport mode dampers. This leaves off the quicker throttle mapping and leaves the AT trans in normal mode.
To get the full sport characteristics I can then switch to sport+.

Personally, I think BMW did not implement driver modes properly.
There is now way to pick and choose the individual items and then set them as default nor recall.
So if I want normal trans and quicker throttle, firmer steering, and sport dampers I can't do it, because BMW tied/bundled items.
And then, every time you start the car you have to set the driver mode again.
The only thing that is remembered is the sport settings of the M adaptive
"chassis only", "drive train only" or both.
I'd like to have all the functions modes selectable individually and then create a preset, and to be able to set the preset as the default for whenever I start the car.
All of that is already in there and all it needs is some programming.
But, no, we don't get that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #11
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

No one has even bothered to read the op or attempt to answer the question !!!

Is there a difference in boost between modes at any given rpm/engine load ?? Or is it just throttle sensitivity?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
In my manual tranny M235i I believe it is just throttle sensitivity, not any sort of increase in boost. Does anyone also notice increase brake feel or firmness in the brake pedal in sport and sport+ modes?
      07-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
When it comes to the throttle mapping, my understanding is that the only difference is how far you need to push the pedal to achieve a given amount of power. In Eco Pro, you have to push much further to get the same effect as you would with Sport, but you still can get the same effect. Flooring the throttle should give you maximum power in every mode (and I think it would be a safety issue if it didn't).

The other differences between the modes are steering effort, shift points (if you have the automatic transmission), suspension stiffness (if you have the adaptive suspension), what information appears on the instrument cluster/display, and how aggressively the automatic climate control works to keep the car at the desired temperature. I haven't ever heard of brake effort differing, but it would make sense. I have to say the brakes feel reasonably firm even in Eco Pro mode, so I tend to doubt the effort varies between modes, but I haven't ventured into Sport yet since I'm trying to break the car in gently.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Personally, I think BMW did not implement driver modes properly.
Yeah, BMW's suck but apparently not enough to stop us from buying them. Including me, but I'm satisfied with the package--Sport mode is a blast and offers more performance than can be used on a public highway. Torque is incredible, handling is fantastic! I've experienced a long line of performance cars -- 60's/70's muscle, 80's (lost generation), MR2-T, NSX, Corvette -- in which adjustments consisted primarily of the driver's input. That said, these modern cars run rings around the oldies, offering performance to the masses. This is the Golden Age and these are great little cars...

Now, if you're tracking your car you need at least 400 hp and the 2 Series doesn't qualify. Better shopping next time...
Appreciate 0