THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Deciding btwn 228 vs 235

07-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #45
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

*Drive 'em both.
*Run the numbers on how you'd want to configure each.
*Shop around to figure out the real-world prices of the configurations you're considering.
*Decide how much you're willing to spend.
*Get whichever one works for you.

There is no right or wrong answer here.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #46
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
There are you tube videos clearly showing the 228i beating the S3 because the S3 has bad turbo lag...but results may vary. I have personally clocked a 5.0 0-60 on my base.
Videos (plural?) there's ONE poorly done review (TFL), that "test" that "drag" race? you use that as evidence? The road wasn't flat or straight!! Along with having idiots reviewing/testing. In the drag race, there was a huge delay in the S3 getting off the line, because the driver is an idiot NOT because the S3 has "bad turbo lag". Just look at the setup, it was filmed in some sort of a junkyard with crappy roads.

But since you like and repeat what the reviews say, why did you choose to repeat what happened in the drag race instead of repeating what the actual time was 228 (5.75) S3 (5.48)

Despite those idiots failing to drive a simple car properly, the S3 is still faster, because the S3 has a better power to weight ratio, it's AWD, it's simple physics that the S3 is faster. I don't see how it's possible at all in any situation the 228 is faster, because it's impossible.

So STOP listening what one reviewer say and pass it on as your own "opinion" maybe go out there and drive the S3 before commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Tuned, my 228i M Sport (very similar to the one above) is as fast from 0-60 as a stock M235i, possibly a little faster, and it cruises at 100 mph at about 4k rpm. I'm sure the V6 M235i is quicker to 100 mph and over the quarter mile, but for street driving, a 228i with the Track Handling Package and a tune is virtually the equivalent of the M235 but about $10k cheaper. They are both fantastic cars.
Oh give me a break! You can't even tell the difference between a V6 and inline6, and you just randomly say a tuned 228i is faster than a stock M235i.

A single tune that can cut a full second off? Come on mate, that's complete BS. Maybe you should go have a read of the "N20 M235i killer" thread, he spent thousands and thousands on his 228i to beat a M235i, and his engine blew up lol so don't see how it is possible at all for a "simple tune" to make your car faster.

***NOTE***

I'm sorry to majority of 228i owners out there, as it might look like I'm bashing on the 228i, but when there are people who blatantly thinks their car is as fast as a Ferrari or follow poor journalism. That is NOT ok.

The 228i is what it is, it does what the box says, it's a great car in its own right, to suit the demographic it is targeted at, like most of the base/mid model cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #47
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

228i-235i They’re both great cars and they’re very different from one another. I’ve driven each of them in whatever configuration my dealer had available at the time while I slowly made up my mind which one to order.

Coming from a 2011 135i (N55) I thought I would naturally be inclined to get the 235. I pretty much had my mind made up but my dealer had both versions available for testing.
I’ve now driven both of them- sometimes in different cars on the lot- coupes, convertibles- over the course of a couple months. I always tried to A-B compare them if I had the time.

235i- Beast. The sound of the engine and exhaust, the cache of the M designation (even if you think it doesn’t matter, it’s still cool to have the M badge), the incredible power band that just doesn’t fade.
It was my personal favorite type of car - big engine in a relatively small sporty car.

228i- with MSport and the THP package. Very quick to 60-70 and then a slow but noticeable decline in acceleration in the 80+ range.

To me when you drive the 235 the impression I continually got was that it’s all about the engine. In the 228 I could feel the entire car- it simply feels to me like a more complete and connected drivers car.
We’re stuck with electric steering now- it’s simply part of a new contemporary equation - and I disliked it much more in the 235i whereas in the 228i it seemed to have a more natural balance.
Like I say- it’s subjective….235i drivers might not notice the difference.

Went back again to the dealer, this time to order one and I still couldn’t make up my mind. I knew too much about the two cars if you know what I mean. I took one last spin in a MSport 228i convertible.
Drove it on the highway and yes, that hesitancy to really accelerate quickly above 80 was still there.
Tried playing with it between the upper gears (this car was an automatic) to get comfortable with what I think is the four-bangers limitation and simply accepted what the performance character is of this car.

I’ve come to terms with the 228i- it’s changed the way I think about what I really enjoy most about driving, handling and performance. Some people who own the car speak of it’s “balance”.
I think of it as a dimensional car- that I can reach further into to feeling a harmony- the whole enchilada rather than the power of the six that seems to be such a monolithic factor in the 235i
that everything else about it’s engineering turns into a secondary factor.

Again, both of the 2 series are great cars. As an enthusiast, I think we’re lucky to have such great choices in this model. I honestly didn't make up my mind until the day I placed my order.
The financial part was certainly part of my criteria but pleasing myself was first on the agenda.
And I’ll miss the rawness and sheer fun of my 135i. That’s for sure.

This is what I ordered: should arrive at the dealer by the end of August.

2016 228i Coupe

Alpine White
Coral Red with Hexagon Trim
M-Sport
THP
6-Speed Manual
Lighting Package
Cold Weather Package
Moonroof
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #48
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
228i-235i They’re both great cars and they’re very different from one another. I’ve driven each of them in whatever configuration my dealer had available at the time while I slowly made up my mind which one to order.

Coming from a 2011 135i (N55) I thought I would naturally be inclined to get the 235. I pretty much had my mind made up but my dealer had both versions available for testing.
I’ve now driven both of them- sometimes in different cars on the lot- coupes, convertibles- over the course of a couple months. I always tried to A-B compare them if I had the time.

235i- Beast. The sound of the engine and exhaust, the cache of the M designation (even if you think it doesn’t matter, it’s still cool to have the M badge), the incredible power band that just doesn’t fade.
It was my personal favorite type of car - big engine in a relatively small sporty car.

228i- with MSport and the THP package. Very quick to 60-70 and then a slow but noticeable decline in acceleration in the 80+ range.

To me when you drive the 235 the impression I continually got was that it’s all about the engine. In the 228 I could feel the entire car- it simply feels to me like a more complete and connected drivers car.
We’re stuck with electric steering now- it’s simply part of a new contemporary equation - and I disliked it much more in the 235i whereas in the 228i it seemed to have a more natural balance.

Went back again to the dealer, this time to order one and I still couldn’t make up my mind. I knew too much about the two cars if you know what I mean. I took one last spin in a MSport 228i convertible.
Drove it on the highway and yes, that hesitancy to really accelerate quickly above 80 was still there.
Tried playing with it between the upper gears (this car was an automatic) to get comfortable with what I think is the four-bangers limitation and simply accepted what the performance character is of this car.

I’ve come to terms with the 228i- it’s changed the way I think about what I really enjoy most about driving, handling and performance. Some people who own the car speak of it’s “balance”.
I think of it as a dimensional car- that I can reach further into to feeling a harmony- the whole enchilada rather than the power of the six that seems to be such a monolithic factor in the 235i

Again, both of the 2 series are great cars. As an enthusiast, I think we’re lucky to have such great choices in this model. I honestly didn't make up my mind until the day I placed my order.
The financial part was certainly part of my criteria but pleasing myself was first on the agenda.

2016 228i Coupe

Alpine White
M-Sport
THP
6-Speed Manual
Lighting Package
Cold Weather Package
Moonroof
Well written and thoughts conveyed, sir!! It's an elusive idea for some, but you nailed it very well! Enjoy your new car!
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #49
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
A single tune that can cut a full second off? Come on mate, that's complete BS. Maybe you should go have a read of the "N20 M235i killer" thread, he spent thousands and thousands on his 228i to beat a M235i, and his engine blew up lol so don't see how it is possible at all for a "simple tune" to make your car faster.
You would benefit greatly from a less know-all manner, better grammar and better math. The Stage 1 tune gets the 228i's 0-60 number down from 4.9 sec to 4.5, which puts it alongside the M235i. Obviously this is a .4 second difference, not 1 sec.

Some of your points are valid, but your aggressive tone, combined with your unpleasant assumption of authority on the matter make them all too easy to dismiss as the output of yet another Internet blowhard.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #50
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Videos (plural?) there's ONE poorly done review (TFL), that "test" that "drag" race? you use that as evidence? The road wasn't flat or straight!! Along with having idiots reviewing/testing. In the drag race, there was a huge delay in the S3 getting off the line, because the driver is an idiot NOT because the S3 has "bad turbo lag". Just look at the setup, it was filmed in some sort of a junkyard with crappy roads.

But since you like and repeat what the reviews say, why did you choose to repeat what happened in the drag race instead of repeating what the actual time was 228 (5.75) S3 (5.48)

Despite those idiots failing to drive a simple car properly, the S3 is still faster, because the S3 has a better power to weight ratio, it's AWD, it's simple physics that the S3 is faster. I don't see how it's possible at all in any situation the 228 is faster, because it's impossible.

So STOP listening what one reviewer say and pass it on as your own "opinion" maybe go out there and drive the S3 before commenting.

Oh give me a break! You can't even tell the difference between a V6 and inline6, and you just randomly say a tuned 228i is faster than a stock M235i.

***NOTE***

I'm sorry to majority of 228i owners out there, as it might look like I'm bashing on the 228i, but when there are people who blatantly thinks their car is as fast as a Ferrari or follow poor journalism. That is NOT ok.

The 228i is what it is, it does what the box says, it's a great car in its own right, to suit the demographic it is targeted at, like most of the base/mid model cars.

I never passed anything off as my opinion. I just stated there were videos showing it as faster. I even said results may very. I also said in my previous post that the 228i is the best/fastest car in its class(price range) in the US. Better than the A3, CLA or GTI. I never heard anyone saying their car is faster than a Ferrari! You just pull made up shit out of your ass! Quit miss quoting people..its makes you look like a dolt! Its not our fault you have to pay so much for cars in your country! There are many people on this planet that cannot even get a 228i and would love to be able to. Oh I do not know where you get this one sec shit. The published BMW 0-60 times is 5.4 for the 228i and 4.6 for the BMW235i. We all know that folks have posted much faster times with both. It has never been a one second difference. At least not cars sold in the US.

Last edited by sstarrx3; 07-27-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #51
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI
Quote:
You would benefit greatly from a less know-all manner, better grammar and better math. The Stage 1 tune gets the 228i's 0-60 number down from 4.9 sec to 4.5, which puts it alongside the M235i. Obviously this is a .4 second difference, not 1 sec.

Some of your points are valid, but your aggressive tone, combined with your unpleasant assumption of authority on the matter make them all too easy to dismiss as the output of yet another Internet blowhard.
228i 0-60 takes 4.9 seconds...? So it takes the car 0.8 to get from 60-62?

There are a lot of conflicting "0-60" times majority point towards mid 5s rather than under 5s
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #52
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

For me, engine choice takes precedence over color. BMW's inline 6 is so incredibly sweet

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #53
Phiberoptik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

I feel like people who decides to buy the 228i is because mostly they don't want to spend the money on the M235i and I don't understand why they try to justify it with a slew of reasons.

If I bought the 228i I would say so because of the price point. It's a fast car but it's no M235i no matter what you do (maybe engine swap).
Appreciate 3
      07-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #54
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

There are a lot of conflicting "0-60" times majority point towards mid 5s rather than under 5s
Of course there are going to be conflicting times. There are many variables including but not limited to the driver, tires, elevation. I do not know where you are getting this 5.7. BMWs published times for cars sold in the US are 228i 5.4 and M235i 4.6. We all know that BMW is very conservative on these times. Many will get better under certain conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #55
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
Quote:

Of course there are going to be conflicting times. There are many variables including but not limited to the driver, tires, elevation. I do not know where you are getting this 5.7. BMWs published times for cars sold in the US are 228i 5.4 and M235i 4.6. We all know that BMW is very conservative on these times. Many will get better under certain conditions.
5.7seconds 0-100km/h or 0-62mp/h... This is the standard measurement in the country where your car is manufactured.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #56
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

I like your first 228i the most. At 36k = most bang for the buck.

Mine is the same config, but I also added memory seats so I can let wife drive it sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #57
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
5.7seconds 0-100km/h or 0-62mp/h... This is the standard measurement in the country where your car is manufactured.
When the car gets to the US it does 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds according to the BMWUSA website. That is the measurement we use.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #58
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

OP: Here's a missive I posted before ordering my M235i. It was relevant back then as it is today.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gaijin

I've had the M235i for four months and it is still has to disappoint.
      07-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #59
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

I can't believe people are arguing about something to the right of the decimal point!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #60
sternn
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 m235i

If money is not an issue, just take the 235i. The N55 is superb. Engine sound, torque, HP, ...

0-62 trafic light sprints, who even cares.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #61
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

2016 228i Coupe

Alpine White
M-Sport
THP
6-Speed Manual
Lighting Package
Cold Weather Package
Moonroof
Great post! Thanks very much.

Any thoughts or experience re the square vs staggered wheel setups? From what I've read (in this forum and elsewhere) the staggered wheels undermine the perfect balance of the car and are almost pointless on the 228. I've got staggered summer tires but intend to buy 4 18x8 wheels with all-season tires before the winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #62
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
I've got staggered summer tires but intend to buy 4 18x8 wheels with all-season tires before the winter.
Suggest going narrower for better snow/ice capability. Look for 215 tread width.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #63
CreativeFuel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I can't believe people are arguing about something to the right of the decimal point!
I come to this site because it's one of the few places for 2 Series info. But the incessant trolling and pissing contests get old.
Appreciate 3
      07-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #64
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberoptik View Post
I feel like people who decides to buy the 228i is because mostly they don't want to spend the money on the M235i and I don't understand why they try to justify it with a slew of reasons.

If I bought the 228i I would say so because of the price point. It's a fast car but it's no M235i no matter what you do (maybe engine swap).
While I mostly agree that this is the issue on the 228i side, I think there also needs to be acknowledgement that some M235i owners are also at fault in escalating the pissing match as well. In the end we're all 2 series owners (well, I don't get mine for another two months!), and we should all be celebrating just how awesome our cars - 228i and M235i alike - are, as well as helping out prospective buyers that come to the site.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #65
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, its stupid I apologize for getting caught up in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #66
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Difference of opinion here. I strongly preferred the grained leather of the Sportline which feels better in my hand and the Sportline wheel has a nice substantial rim section. To me, the ungrained, shiny/smooth leather on MSport feels cheap. There are some differences in center hub styling, but those are relatively minor and no big deal either way, certainly less significant than the feel of the actual leather!!
+1 I also can not stand the MSport wheel. It's slick and too thick for me. I opted for the sport line 228 for the paint (DSB). To me, the perfect color combo meant more than the motor as both will get me a ticket faster than my VW could!
Appreciate 0