THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Wife got rear ended in the M235i yesterday (pictures included of car but not wife =D)

07-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #23
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M Sport

Db750, glad your wife's OK, and hope her pain has gone away by now, with no lasting effects.

I had a very similar accident in my 228i last month -- was rear-ended by an E34 525i -- fortunately no injuries.

The 5 was totaled. My car took a big hit, with at least $10K in damage -- it needs a new bumper, trunk lid, rear quarter panels, exhaust, and rear floor, among other things -- but it's being repaired now. I can't wait to get it back in my driveway...
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Hey guys, sorry for the slow response, it is the busy season with my work so I haven't had much time to post, but I have been checking in daily to read the replies. Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far.

Regarding the thread title I actually typed it out two or three different times, and then realized that no matter how I worded it it would probably sound sexual, so I just left it as is!

An update on the car; it took insurance a few days to get ahold of the police report which they had done as of Friday of last week. They contacted the other guys insurance, and they told my insurance that he had not let them know he had been in a collision! Due to this, and the way the guy was acting after the crash, I am very glad that I was able to be there and that we got a police report.

We should hear back from our insurance today, and will be taking it in for estimates most likely tomorrow. This really couldn't have come at a worse time as I have to work pretty much non-stop at this time of year, but hopefully it will be in the shop and starting repairs either this friday or at latest Monday.

Anyway, thank you to all for the replies, and I will keep this thread updated as we continue along this process.

Last edited by Db750; 01-04-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Regarding the thread title I actually typed it out two or three different times, and then realized that no matter how I worded it it would probably sound sexual, so I just left it as is!
"Wife involved in M235i collision."

But the title you ended up with is so much better

Glad to hear she is ok and hopefully the car will be back on the road with a badass new exhaust!
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #26
joshbromberg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

I had my 2 series rear ended a few months ago in nearly the exact same way with very similar damage and it cost just over $11k
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #27
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
"Wife involved in M235i collision."

But the title you ended up with is so much better

Glad to hear she is ok and hopefully the car will be back on the road with a badass new exhaust!
That is actually MUCH better! The problem is that I wanted to be more specefic about the kind of crash that my wife was involved in and also make it clear from the thread title that she was not at fault.

Next time I am posting a thread I will be sure to PM you before I finalize the title lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbromberg View Post
I had my 2 series rear ended a few months ago in nearly the exact same way with very similar damage and it cost just over $11k
So a quick update; my wife took the car into the other guys insurance to get their preliminary estimate and they came in around $7300 which is much lower than what I had imagined. They did say of course that it could be more once they get started.

They also said that it would most likely be 14 business days which is very upsetting, but I had assumed it would be about that long! They are giving us $28/day for a rental which will basically just get a corolla or something. To me this is a little unfair, and I feel like we should either be compensated for the partial lease payment, or be able to rent a more similar car. I would love to have a new mustang for that time!

Does anyone know if this is possible to either get partial lease payment payed or get a rental car more similar to what we have? I am really going to miss driving the 235, and I haven't really gotten to drive it that much since the accident since it is falling apart anyway.

Thanks again for all the replies and also joking around! It does make this a little bit easier to deal with!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #28
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
Db750, glad your wife's OK, and hope her pain has gone away by now, with no lasting effects.

I had a very similar accident in my 228i last month -- was rear-ended by an E34 525i -- fortunately no injuries.

The 5 was totaled. My car took a big hit, with at least $10K in damage -- it needs a new bumper, trunk lid, rear quarter panels, exhaust, and rear floor, among other things -- but it's being repaired now. I can't wait to get it back in my driveway...
Oh wow I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you are doing ok as well! It seems that the 2 series is a very safe car as I have had quite a few owners come forward who have been in similar situations, and no one has reported any injuries thus far.

Please keep everyone posted on the progress of your car. I am curious to know final cost and time away. Hope you get her back soon as I know how difficult it is!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #29
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
That is actually MUCH better! The problem is that I wanted to be more specefic about the kind of crash that my wife was involved in and also make it clear from the thread title that she was not at fault.

Next time I am posting a thread I will be sure to PM you before I finalize the title lol!

So a quick update; my wife took the car into the other guys insurance to get their preliminary estimate and they came in around $7300 which is much lower than what I had imagined. They did say of course that it could be more once they get started.

They also said that it would most likely be 14 business days which is very upsetting, but I had assumed it would be about that long! They are giving us $28/day for a rental which will basically just get a corolla or something. To me this is a little unfair, and I feel like we should either be compensated for the partial lease payment, or be able to rent a more similar car. I would love to have a new mustang for that time!

Does anyone know if this is possible to either get partial lease payment payed or get a rental car more similar to what we have? I am really going to miss driving the 235, and I haven't really gotten to drive it that much since the accident since it is falling apart anyway.

Thanks again for all the replies and also joking around! It does make this a little bit easier to deal with!
You should balk at the rental. My mother in law was an insurance adjuster and she told me when I had my wreck that the insurance company is required to rent you a car in the same class as the one that was wrecked. When I had my wreck they offered me a Hyundai for a rental and I said hell to the no. They changed it to a MB C250. They had to rent me that car for 2.5 months. Last summer it took forever to get parts from Germany. You are correct ,be prepared for that quote to go up. They quoted me $8000 plus at first, but once they took it apart it ended up being over $11000.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 01:16 AM   #30
adema24
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Yeah the initial estimate is always going to be low. When my old 335i got hit, the initial estimate was around $7500. Once they started taking off parts and seeing what else was damaged, the estimate got raised.

This also started the very long process of auto body shop taking off parts, then realizing more stuff needed replaced, then sending a list to the insurance company, then the insurance company approving the new parts, then waiting on parts to be ordered and put on, aaaaand then the process all over again..

Two months later, my car was finally put back together and the total bill was around $13k.. nearly twice the initial estimate.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #31
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
You should balk at the rental. My mother in law was an insurance adjuster and she told me when I had my wreck that the insurance company is required to rent you a car in the same class as the one that was wrecked. When I had my wreck they offered me a Hyundai for a rental and I said hell to the no. They changed it to a MB C250. They had to rent me that car for 2.5 months. Last summer it took forever to get parts from Germany. You are correct ,be prepared for that quote to go up. They quoted me $8000 plus at first, but once they took it apart it ended up being over $11000.
This is excellent advise! Thank you very much. I'll make a few calls today and see what I can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema24 View Post
Yeah the initial estimate is always going to be low. When my old 335i got hit, the initial estimate was around $7500. Once they started taking off parts and seeing what else was damaged, the estimate got raised.

This also started the very long process of auto body shop taking off parts, then realizing more stuff needed replaced, then sending a list to the insurance company, then the insurance company approving the new parts, then waiting on parts to be ordered and put on, aaaaand then the process all over again..

Two months later, my car was finally put back together and the total bill was around $13k.. nearly twice the initial estimate.
Oh wow that is crazy! The estimate for our car is 14 days. I will absolutely lose it if it goes on much longer than that!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Yea something tells me it'll end up being more than that once they start digging into it. Just make sure everything is done to your satisfaction, and don't let them push you around.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #33
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

I'd push back very hard on the rental, what frickin misers wow! when my E39 540 was rear ended by a drunk I got a 2yr old Altima at no charge for 6 weeks. In terms of book value at the time, I guess the Altima was worth more But for a youngin' M235I they cannot stiff you with $28 a day? Wow

Also, I'd be shocked if your car took less than a month, especially with some parts in short supply.

Standard body shop collision progression:

1. It won't take much time, and it will be cheap. You'll get your car soon
2. We found one or two more parts, soon soon
3. No updates for 7-10 days
4. Call back to find out 'two more parts, soon soon'
5. Repeat steps 2-3 a few times until at least 1 month has passed and the car is finally ready
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #34
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep

Thanks! It's been almost a month and a half now. The 2 is indeed a very safe car. I'm just glad it wasn't a head-on or side impact collision.

I just heard from the BMW collision center -- they were waiting on parts to arrive from Germany, which came in yesterday, so the repairs will begin on Monday.

I wish I'd thought to ask my insurance company for a similar-quality rental. They set me up with a Dodge Dart - blargh.

Unfortunately the 30-day rental coverage period has expired, and the other driver's insurance company will not cover my out-of-pocket rental expenses, much to my annoyance. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and turned in the Dart a week ago. Uber is getting a LOT of my business these days.

Quote:
Oh wow I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you are doing ok as well! It seems that the 2 series is a very safe car as I have had quite a few owners come forward who have been in similar situations, and no one has reported any injuries thus far.

Please keep everyone posted on the progress of your car. I am curious to know final cost and time away. Hope you get her back soon as I know how difficult it is!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #35
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! It's been almost a month and a half now. The 2 is indeed a very safe car. I'm just glad it wasn't a head-on or side impact collision.

I just heard from the BMW collision center -- they were waiting on parts to arrive from Germany, which came in yesterday, so the repairs will begin on Monday.

I wish I'd thought to ask my insurance company for a similar-quality rental. They set me up with a Dodge Dart - blargh.

Unfortunately the 30-day rental coverage period has expired, and the other driver's insurance company will not cover my out-of-pocket rental expenses, much to my annoyance. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and turned in the Dart a week ago. Uber is getting a LOT of my business these days.
Uh...if you took it to a BMW certified repair shop and your car is delayed because of parts BMW will give you a loner. You dont have to foot the bill or take the bus!
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #36
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Uh...if you took it to a BMW certified repair shop and your car is delayed because of parts BMW will give you a loner. You dont have to foot the bill or take the bus!
Oddly, when I signed the paperwork authorizing the repairs, the fine print said the collision center doesn't offer loaners, even though it's part of the BMW dealership. Apparently that is not the norm... just my luck!
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #37
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oddly, when I signed the paperwork authorizing the repairs, the fine print said the collision center doesn't offer loaners, even though it's part of the BMW dealership. Apparently that is not the norm... just my luck!
Bummer! I think I was fortunate that the at fault parties insurance company footed my MB rental for the whole 2.5 months. That was about $5000. Between the $11500 in repairs, the $5000 rental and my $7000 in diminshed value they were within $13,000 of the purchase price of the car before TTL. The body shop that did mine is owned by Rick Hendrick which also owns the BMW dealerships around here and pretty much all the other car dealerships around here. Getting a loaner is not a problem.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #38
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey guys wanted to post another update! I found a shop that was highly recommended by a friend that is in our local BMW club. They have worked on multiple BMW and Porsche cars for him over the years and have done a great job. I met with the owner on Thursday and he said that they would start not this coming Monday but next. We are going to give him the check from insurance on Monday and he is going to go ahead and order the parts for us.

The best part; he has agreed to install the Mperformance diffuser and the M performance exhaust for me at a minimal cost (I wont get into the details now). CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HER BACK!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #39
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Hey guys wanted to post another update! I found a shop that was highly recommended by a friend that is in our local BMW club. They have worked on multiple BMW and Porsche cars for him over the years and have done a great job. I met with the owner on Thursday and he said that they would start not this coming Monday but next. We are going to give him the check from insurance on Monday and he is going to go ahead and order the parts for us.

The best part; he has agreed to install the Mperformance diffuser and the M performance exhaust for me at a minimal cost (I wont get into the details now). CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HER BACK!!!!

Congrats!! Post pics to show it off when its done with the new parts.

I agree with starr though, they should pay for loaner till you get back in your car in a not your fault accident.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #40
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

My car is currently in the shop due to an accident (only 3100 miles on her )...bad news i know but my insurance (AIG) have covered an equivalent car with Enterprise and will cover up to $12,500 in rentals for the duration of the car being in the body shop.

Since it will only be in for about 2 weeks enterprise have given me a base 991...can't complain.

Your insurance can definitely do better than a dodge dart but all things considered, it depends on your policy.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #41
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
My car is currently in the shop due to an accident (only 3100 miles on her )...bad news i know but my insurance (AIG) have covered an equivalent car with Enterprise and will cover up to $12,500 in rentals for the duration of the car being in the body shop.

Since it will only be in for about 2 weeks enterprise have given me a base 991...can't complain.

Your insurance can definitely do better than a dodge dart but all things considered, it depends on your policy.
You got a 991 from Enterprise? Amazing!

I'm definitely going to inquire about upgrading the rental car policy with my insurer, Travelers. I hope I'll never have to use it again but if I do, it'd be nice to have more options.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #42
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
You got a 991 from Enterprise? Amazing!

I'm definitely going to inquire about upgrading the rental car policy with my insurer, Travelers. I hope I'll never have to use it again but if I do, it'd be nice to have more options.
Yes its from Enterprise exotics, they have locations all over the country.

Its a base 991 PDK black on black. They also offer Jag f-types, MB SL400, a few other nice choices too
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #43
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, wanted to do a quick update on this thread. First of all, I ended up crashing my M3 last week! Long story short, some idiot pulled out in front of me, I hit her, and now both my M3 and M235i are sitting taken apart at the same shop. Here is the thread for that crash:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...7#post18476867

The M235i is coming along well, and will most likely be completed next week. I have ordered multiple parts from Brian at Sun Motors BMW and can not recommend him enough. He has saved me tons of $$$ and has provided great service!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #44
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep

My condolences -- that's awful, and to have two of your Bimmers wrecked in such a short period of time must be beyond comprehension! Still, at least you emerged physically unscathed. I hope the other driver is charged with lying to the officer on the scene -- glad you had a cop who saw through her. And after all that, to get stuck with an econobox Chevy is just soul-crushing.

Good luck with the repairs to the M3 and I'm sure you're looking forward to having the M235i back. My 228i is most likely going to get out of surgery next week... it's been over two months and I can't wait!
Appreciate 1