THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Models without wireless internet?

07-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
BMW's 8 speed is built to BMW's standards and as you know there is always the discount seconds factory to any manufacturing company and ZF's seconds factory is called Jeep.��
ZF is an independent German supplier. The 9 speed used on the Jeep is also used on Acura, Honda, Land Rover, and other Chrysler cars.

The software is written by Chrysler, which tuned the transmission for aggressive upshifts to maximize fuel economy and has not been received well.

I've driven the new MDX which has the same transmission and doesn't have any of those issues, so it has nothing to do with BMW standards or ZF standards, just the tuning of the software.
      07-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
You mean the nine speed auto made for Chrysler by ZF, who also makes the eight speed auto for BMW?
My wife owns the Jeep, and the 9 speed isn't even in the same league.

Don't ask me how they got it so wrong when the ZF8 is so right.

The 9 speed shifts brutally hard, never goes into 9th gear, and is as predictive as Stevie Wonder.

The 9 speed drives like an auto did in 2002, just with more speeds. The ZF8 drives better than most DSG gearboxes.

So maybe while they're in there hacking, they can fix the transmission software.
I like your optimism...

That would be a far steeper challenge for a hacker.

Of course, the point I made was that any manufacturer can design a dud every now and then. Even BMW is having a time of it with its 8-cylinder N-63 engine. A good friend of mine has a 6-Series vert with one of these engines... And it came with lots of "issues".

I do agree, however, it is a bit puzzling how ZF could make such a fantastic 8-speed auto and also turn out a 9-speed auto that seems to be so problematic. Perhaps they used different engineering teams in the development... Who knows?

I doubt ZF decided to build a failure just because Fiat Chrysler wanted a cheap tranny, though. After all, every potential customer of ZF knows who manufactured those 9-speeds.

In your case, I hope the do eventually get the bugs out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
BMW's 8 speed is built to BMW's standards and as you know there is always the discount seconds factory to any manufacturing company and ZF's seconds factory is called Jeep.��
ZF is an independent German supplier. The 9 speed used on the Jeep is also used on Acura, Honda, Land Rover, and other Chrysler cars.

The software is written by Chrysler, which tuned the transmission for aggressive upshifts to maximize fuel economy and has not been received well.

I've driven the new MDX which has the same transmission and doesn't have any of those issues, so it has nothing to do with BMW standards or ZF standards, just the tuning of the software.
Well, that would certainly explain why Chrysler has the issues while others do not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

ZF would be involved in the software as well at a discount rate.

It's all about Jeep and their problem but the media try to make it everyones problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

It's all about Jeep and their problem but the media try to make it everyones problem.
Exactly how is the media doing that?
Appreciate 0