THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW CA vs Other CA

07-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

BMW CA vs Other CA

Hey fellas... just wanna have everyone's take on the overall experiences with others, Porsche/Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, American, etc... I've only dealt with Lexus once when I bought a RX350 but I keep going back to BMW because the Finance department gives the best rates and are very easy to deal with....

Lexus was annoying... their rates weren't competitive either and my overall experience compared to BMW dealer was dissatisfying.

Or am it all in my head and it's all the same? Just wanted to know if I ever decide to go Porsche or others in the future.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

BMW definitely makes it easier for more people to get into their cars. Their lease rates are very attractive to many. Buyers get into cars they normally would not be able to afford if they did an out right purchase.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Mercedes:

I did not buy either of my Mercedes. So my experience with them was strictly service. My dealer in Midland was awesome. My SA was wonderful to deal with and we never had trouble getting a loaner, etc. MB of San Antonio was fucking horrible and my only option when I got here. MB of Boerne (right outside SA) opened up a couple years later and I had a great experience with all of the service on my second Mercedes there. No trouble getting loaners or anything, it was all great...until the end of my ownership when I was trying to get them to fix a steering issue the car had always had and they kept making excuses not to. I took it in one last time before the warranty ran out, my SA was sick and had taken leave, the bitch they stuck me with was a former cashier (clueless), and it was just a clusterfuck of a horrible ordeal. They tried to sell me a new car, instead, that day and that lead me to...

Audi:

They made it easy for me buying my very first car on my own. The interest rate wasn't stellar, but it wasn't a raping either. I refi'd that car in a year for two points less anyway, but they were VERY easy to deal with and I ran into no issues being it was my first car loan ever. That said, I walked in there with good credit and money to put down (but not that much). Service with this car was spectacular. My SA was so great, words can not describe. Did all warranty work I desired on an increasingly modified car. Never asked questions. We had a great understanding that I would be responsible for everything my modifications broke on the car. Nothing I did EVER broke things that needed repair on that A4.

The second Audi (A3) I didn't purchase from the same dealer because things changed in the 4 years I owned the previous car and the new finance mgr. was an ass. He refused to give me even book value (which is all I asked for) on a modified, yet mint condition, car with 50K on the clock. Doubt me and I'll post pics of it that were taken a month before I sold it privately. Hell their service dept. used to park it out front to attract fucking buyers when they moved into their new fancy digs. So I bought from another dealer in Houston and had a beyond wonderful experience. I did all the negotiation over the phone\through email, bought a plane ticket, they picked me up, did the paperwork (already had my financing), and drove it back. My sales guy was just pure awesomeness. Service back at home went to shit, though. In the very beginning the DSG software problem the car had almost got me killed and I went though hell trying to get it fixed. Long story short, after that whole ordeal, I didn't have to take it in for much. My SA was pretty good for the remainder. I never really had issues with him, just the Svc. Mgr. who was a fuck head (he just got fired recently). Their dealership has, overall, gone to shit which lead me to...

BMW:

Our dealer here didn't have, and never has, what I would look for in a used BMW. So I tried the same thing I did with Audi in Houston with a BMW dealer in Houston. By far the WORST buying experience I've ever had. With some resistance and tactics, we got everything worked out over the phone\email. I get there and it was like no one I had talked to even existed at that place. Again I walked in with the financing and down payment and they were just the most unhelpful people ever. After a full day of bullshit I finally drove it home. The service here at this dealer is horrid (I knew that going into this purchase). They never have loaners, even when you book WAY in advance. I'm talking three weeks to a month and they reserve you a loaner car, you show up, and they're like "Oh, sorry, but...". That's only the tip of the iceberg. The techs are all idiots (my ordeal with the DCT software update I needed because the car would die in traffic illustrated that perfectly), my SA is the kinda guy who acts like he's your friend but is just a fuck head (now he's the Svc. Mgr., God help everyone who owns a BMW here ). They broke my headlight and refuse to replace it. They've adjusted my hood three times because they refuse to replace the hood cable that needs to be replaced. Two of those adjustments took it out of flush fit with the fenders. I could on and on...and that is why this is my first and last BMW.

The Audi dealer is being gutted on both sides (sales and svc.) so I may go back for a S3 after a full evaluation of their dealership when I'm done with my 1er. Rumor has it there's a second Audi franchise coming here owned by the same guys who run the best dealerships in this city across all makes. Which leads me to...

Lexus:

I made a huge mistake in buying an old used Lexus that I never should've bought (my fault, not the car) as a DD and took it to our dealer here. They're as busy as the BMW, MB, and Audi dealer here (if not more so) and I still got a loaner Lexus for an unscheduled visit. Additionally, while not me personally, my mother is on her second one up in CO and my dad has one himself as a DD. I have heard just spectacular stories about their excellent service and I hear the same from owners down here in SA. Stories of them doing thousands of dollars in repairs on out of warranty vehicles just because there may have been some remote chance they were at fault for something kinda related to the expensive ass repair needed or to just retain\gain a customer for life.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW subsidizes its leases, making the cars cheaper to lease than any other manufacturer.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Mercedes:

I did not buy either of my Mercedes. So my experience with them was strictly service. My dealer in Midland was awesome. My SA was wonderful to deal with and we never had trouble getting a loaner, etc. MB of San Antonio was fucking horrible and my only option when I got here. MB of Boerne (right outside SA) opened up a couple years later and I had a great experience with all of the service on my second Mercedes there. No trouble getting loaners or anything, it was all great...until the end of my ownership when I was trying to get them to fix a steering issue the car had always had and they kept making excuses not to. I took it in one last time before the warranty ran out, my SA was sick and had taken leave, the bitch they stuck me with was a former cashier (clueless), and it was just a clusterfuck of a horrible ordeal. They tried to sell me a new car, instead, that day and that lead me to...

Audi:

They made it easy for me buying my very first car on my own. The interest rate wasn't stellar, but it wasn't a raping either. I refi'd that car in a year for two points less anyway, but they were VERY easy to deal with and I ran into no issues being it was my first car loan ever. That said, I walked in there with good credit and money to put down (but not that much). Service with this car was spectacular. My SA was so great, words can not describe. Did all warranty work I desired on an increasingly modified car. Never asked questions. We had a great understanding that I would be responsible for everything my modifications broke on the car. Nothing I did EVER broke things that needed repair on that A4.

The second Audi (A3) I didn't purchase from the same dealer because things changed in the 4 years I owned the previous car and the new finance mgr. was an ass. He refused to give me even book value (which is all I asked for) on a modified, yet mint condition, car with 50K on the clock. Doubt me and I'll post pics of it that were taken a month before I sold it privately. Hell their service dept. used to park it out front to attract fucking buyers when they moved into their new fancy digs. So I bought from another dealer in Houston and had a beyond wonderful experience. I did all the negotiation over the phone\through email, bought a plane ticket, they picked me up, did the paperwork (already had my financing), and drove it back. My sales guy was just pure awesomeness. Service back at home went to shit, though. In the very beginning the DSG software problem the car had almost got me killed and I went though hell trying to get it fixed. Long story short, after that whole ordeal, I didn't have to take it in for much. My SA was pretty good for the remainder. I never really had issues with him, just the Svc. Mgr. who was a fuck head (he just got fired recently). Their dealership has, overall, gone to shit which lead me to...

BMW:

Our dealer here didn't have, and never has, what I would look for in a used BMW. So I tried the same thing I did with Audi in Houston with a BMW dealer in Houston. By far the WORST buying experience I've ever had. With some resistance and tactics, we got everything worked out over the phone\email. I get there and it was like no one I had talked to even existed at that place. Again I walked in with the financing and down payment and they were just the most unhelpful people ever. After a full day of bullshit I finally drove it home. The service here at this dealer is horrid (I knew that going into this purchase). They never have loaners, even when you book WAY in advance. I'm talking three weeks to a month and they reserve you a loaner car, you show up, and they're like "Oh, sorry, but...". That's only the tip of the iceberg. The techs are all idiots (my ordeal with the DCT software update I needed because the car would die in traffic illustrated that perfectly), my SA is the kinda guy who acts like he's your friend but is just a fuck head (now he's the Svc. Mgr., God help everyone who owns a BMW here ). They broke my headlight and refuse to replace it. They've adjusted my hood three times because they refuse to replace the hood cable that needs to be replaced. Two of those adjustments took it out of flush fit with the fenders. I could on and on...and that is why this is my first and last BMW.

The Audi dealer is being gutted on both sides (sales and svc.) so I may go back for a S3 after a full evaluation of their dealership when I'm done with my 1er. Rumor has it there's a second Audi franchise coming here owned by the same guys who run the best dealerships in this city across all makes. Which leads me to...

Lexus:

I made a huge mistake in buying an old used Lexus that I never should've bought (my fault, not the car) as a DD and took it to our dealer here. They're as busy as the BMW, MB, and Audi dealer here (if not more so) and I still got a loaner Lexus for an unscheduled visit. Additionally, while not me personally, my mother is on her second one up in CO and my dad has one himself as a DD. I have heard just spectacular stories about their excellent service and I hear the same from owners down here in SA. Stories of them doing thousands of dollars in repairs on out of warranty vehicles just because there may have been some remote chance they were at fault for something kinda related to the expensive ass repair needed or to just retain\gain a customer for life.
Man thank you for sharing your exp. I guess every dealer is different. Maybe I should ask here for recommendations out of state or local when I decide what my next car will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilzmantis View Post
Man thank you for sharing your exp. I guess every dealer is different. Maybe I should ask here for recommendations out of state or local when I decide what my next car will be.
I know it was a lot to read, but most people in these threads just give two line responses that don't help anyone. I don't mind spilling my guts to help someone out.

I should add something here about Audi. I'll try to be concise. My mom, at my pushing, traded her first Lexus for a CPO'd, fully loaded 2012 A6 3.0T back in late 2013 (I think). Long story short is that it was once leased to an Avs player and he wrecked the fuck out of it. Like BMW (and most others), if the repairs are done by a manufacturer certified body shop, they don't have disclose shit to the buyer and, if no insurance is filed, it'll never show up on a CarFax\AutoCheck\whatever. My mom had SO many issues after that with paint peeling and extremely poor service from the Audi dealer in Denver they bought it from that her and my dad just ate shit this past year on the depreciation and that's why she's on her 2nd Lexus. The service. All about the service. Audi could've just treated her right and she'd still be in that car. My mom said "NEVER AGAIN".

Sorry I have no relevant, personal domestic car manufacturer experience to add here, but I will say that I hear GREAT things about Caddy's service.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilzmantis View Post
Hey fellas... just wanna have everyone's take on the overall experiences with others, Porsche/Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, American, etc... I've only dealt with Lexus once when I bought a RX350 but I keep going back to BMW because the Finance department gives the best rates and are very easy to deal with....
Dealerships are independent businesses, with very loose oversight from a given car brand's regional marketing department. Within a dealership, your have at least 3 independent business that rarely cooperate with each other: new car sales; service; used car sales.

Your local buyer/service experience with a given brand is likely influenced more by the variances in given dealership's staffing competence (or luck), then anything else. I've had both fantastic as well as truly atrocious buying experiences with BMW/Mini, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, MB and VW dealerships. The difference between good and bad had everything to do with the people at a given dealership, not the car brand. It pays to shop and ask around!

I frequently buy cars from one dealership, but take them in for service to another. All based on prior experiences and feedback from other BMW car club members. However, I've been lucky in that I've always lived in major metropolitan areas where I have multiple choices for each luxury brand.

a
Appreciate 1