THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Those little annoying imperfections...

06-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #45
ryanrule
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_00 View Post
- No temp gauges
- No menu memorisation on the connected drive screen
- No memorisation of the drive mode
- No memorisation of the deactivated start-stop function
- No memorisation of the AC status

As you can see, I don't like that the car doesn't remember how it was the last time that I drove it.
my ac status sticks...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #46
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
I have to say, living in a hot climate, the automatic AC doesn't bother me at all...in fact, I'd be more annoyed if I had to turn it on every time

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #47
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

My AC is on every time I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #48
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
My AC is on every time I start the car.
You can code that away
      06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #49
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
There is no such thing as a perfect car (or anything created by humans, for that matter) - and so "imperfect" is the great M235i. I won't be talking about the ride and handling quality because this has been beaten to death already (like the lack of steering response etc.); instead I'll mention a couple of things that - even though not so "serious" - bug me during and after each longer trip in mine...

Well - about the "offset" driver's seat, causing my left leg to cross the left bolster rather than rest along it - I already had created a separate thread so won't be repeating myself; I will mention though that after a 7-hour drive yesterday, it made my left leg really aching

Another "small silly thing" that drives me nuts is the way BMW decided to save some $$$ (or did they just want to further differentiate the 2's interior from that of higher series, like the 5 I had and traded in for the M235) is the main 2 clocks illumination in the dash. In PL I'm obliged to use day lights, so my light switch is always in the Auto position - this way the car decides for itself when to switch from white day lights to red dash illumination. Once the head lights are on, everything seems OK - the main part of odo and tachometer are illuminated red. But when the car "thinks" daylights are still enough, the dashboard "composition" changes to white - with the caveat that only the lower (digital) portion is actually illuminated white, and even changes intensity according to the amount of ambient light. When the day is dark (overcast sky without sunshine), there are moments when I literally cannot read my speed or rpm, because - not being illuminated like they are in the 5-series, and with too little ambient light hitting them - they are simply as dark as $%^&. Why, BMW - how much did you save with this silly, ugly and dangerous design? Was it worth it?!!

The third little annoyance (still talking about the interior) is not 2-series specific; for some stupid reasons BMW moved the infotainment volume up/down buttons to the right arm of the steering wheel in all current models. This can really infuriate me sometimes...

OK, rant off - the M235i is such a pleasure to drive that I forgive the about. I'm curious what other users' opinions are, though.
My 335i Msport "auto" lights is the WORST implementation of this I have ever experienced.
On bright sunny winter mornings the lights will come on.
But on cloudy and darker, when raining, conditions the "auto" doesn't turn the lights on.
It's as if the system isn't actually sensing the light conditions but relying on which season it is and the angle of the sun.

On darker rainy days the "auto" will turn the lights on if I have the wipers activated. But I use Liquid Glass on the windshield and the water just rolls right off so I don't need to use my wipers at all unless it's a huge down pour.

I hope the "auto" lights system works better in the M235i.
It worked great in my 135i, just as I would do if I turned them on/off manually. I could do that, but then why have an "auto" function?
I had that sensitivity issue in my 2007 Z4.

Turned out (at least on that model) there were 3 levels of sensitivity that could be set by the dealer for the sensor. Once I had my level variable bumped up to the next level, the automatic function performed much better.

Just a idea for you to check in to...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #50
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
My 335i Msport "auto" lights is the WORST implementation of this I have ever experienced.
On bright sunny winter mornings the lights will come on.
But on cloudy and darker, when raining, conditions the "auto" doesn't turn the lights on.
It's as if the system isn't actually sensing the light conditions but relying on which season it is and the angle of the sun.

On darker rainy days the "auto" will turn the lights on if I have the wipers activated. But I use Liquid Glass on the windshield and the water just rolls right off so I don't need to use my wipers at all unless it's a huge down pour.

I hope the "auto" lights system works better in the M235i.
It worked great in my 135i, just as I would do if I turned them on/off manually. I could do that, but then why have an "auto" function?
The auto lights on my wife's F30 328i work flawlessly. The switch hasn't moved since we got the car. My M235i vert is the opposite--the other evening I noticed I was the last person on the road with my lights still off.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #51
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Same here (coupe M235i)
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #52
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

also on the steering wheel, you can't flip through presets right? the scroll wheel only lets you search through all stations? Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #53
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
also on the steering wheel, you can't flip through presets right? the scroll wheel only lets you search through all stations? Or am I missing something?
If your radio setting is in AM, FM, or Satellite, you can only flip through all stations. If it's set to Presets, you scroll across the presets, with no regard to band or source.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #54
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I see people say the AC doesnt stay set.. but it does it just is more than one setting.
The fan is always back on when you start the car.
The fan speed remembers your last setting as long as it wasnt set to 'off'.
The A/C button remembers your last setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #55
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

A/C is on by default for a reason - I read all those complaints and frankly cannot understand them. Why would one not want the air inside his cabin to always be of the best possible quality (temperature, humidity etc.) it beats me. With all my car since and including the first one equipped with A/C, it was on all the time 365 days a year. Plus in M235i there is no concern of A/C stealing considerable percentage of power as the power surplus is always there...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #56
Mstandard
For Pony!!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
A/C is on by default for a reason - I read all those complaints and frankly cannot understand them. Why would one not want the air inside his cabin to always be of the best possible quality (temperature, humidity etc.) it beats me. With all my car since and including the first one equipped with A/C, it was on all the time 365 days a year. Plus in M235i there is no concern of A/C stealing considerable percentage of power as the power surplus is always there...
What this guys said! My A/C is on year round even in -20C winter day. It really helps reducing humidity level and preventing windshield fogging.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #57
2twenty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i 6spd M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Don't get all the complaining about the volume buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel.... It's the "right" side in my opinion.

The last few cars I've owned has been on the right hand side, my mates 1M is on the left hand side and its weird
Right hand is for shifting
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:51 PM   #58
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twenty8 View Post
Right hand is for shifting
I weighed in on this once before, and got properly trounced--but I have trouble imagining a volume/track emergency that needs to take precedence over shifting, regardless of which hand has the responsibility.

OTOH, it occurs to me the switch to right hand volume control makes more sense for an automatic--and that's what the vast majority of 2ers are.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #59
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Last edited by ABPReader; 10-14-2015 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #60
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I weighed in on this once before, and got properly trounced--but I have trouble imagining a volume/track emergency that needs to take precedence over shifting, regardless of which hand has the responsibility.

OTOH, it occurs to me the switch to right hand volume control makes more sense for an automatic--and that's what the vast majority of 2ers are.
Right side makes sense to me too most people are right handed and will use the radio more than other functions. I drive a manual and don't shift/change the radio at the same time (why would you...focus on driving...) so that arguement makes no sense to me.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #61
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
Right side makes sense to me too most people are right handed and will use the radio more than other functions. I drive a manual and don't shift/change the radio at the same time (why would you...focus on driving...) so that arguement makes no sense to me.
I couldn't agree more! Who adjust their radio volume during a shift???
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #62
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I couldn't agree more! Who adjust their radio volume during a shift???
Coming from a manual perspective: one doesn't have to be actively shifting to have the hand on the shifter while more frequent shifting is going on (in traffic or very tight roads). Don't forget, it's not just radio, but also phone volume being adjusted. As I've stated before, one will NEVER set cruise control and need to be near the shifter at the same time, so that's a logical sharing of hands. Having the dash and steering volume controls within inches of one another is also rather silly; it's like having the TV remote bolted to the entertainment center.

While I know not all cars are set up audio/left, cruise/right, most seem to be (every other car I've driven is), and I haven't heard a solid reason for BMW to have flipped it.

Obviously, this one annoys me A LOT!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #63
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

There is not even smallest doubt in my mind that moving volume control over to the right wheel's side has been profoundly stupid. Most of us are right-handed persons, so whatever we might be doing while driving (legal or not quite legal, like eating a sandwich or - to hell with political correctness - smoking) we do with our right hand. if for any reason there a need for using volume control, we're hosed!

Believe me - I came to terms with most, if not all, little annoyances in this great car, but this one will never be forgiven in my book...

PS. Not to mention that the wheel volume control and the volume knob physical vicinity make the former redundant....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #64
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Do you mean the M4 has volume control on the left side like all BMWs did not so long ago?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #65
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Is it just me. Or did you guys expect to ride to be slightly more quiet. I finally took the 228 on a mini road trip going around 80 and it was louder than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #66
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
Is it just me. Or did you guys expect to ride to be slightly more quiet. I finally took the 228 on a mini road trip going around 80 and it was louder than I expected.
I was a little disappointed with the ride noise....only slightly though. Then I got into my wife's Acura and that disappointment went away haha.
Appreciate 0