THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Quick question -- am I nuts?

07-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
beenthere1
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i xdrive, x3 m40i

Quick question -- am I nuts?

Hi all,

Quick question. Is there a difference in throttle response between the following: 1. Comfort mode with the gear level in D/S and 2. Sport mode (engine and chassis)?

Also, is the exhaust note the same between those two modes?

I can't actually tell on my 235...

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
It matters how you set up the modes in idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Declio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I have a 6MT, so not sure that it's a direct comparison--but there is a significant difference in throttle response between comfort and sport. I guess this is more noticeable on the 6MT because it really changes the throttle input required to smoothly engage the clutch.

Sport turns on more active-sound (pumped through your interior speakers), and I believe opens the exhaust valve if it isn't already open. So yes to both.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
beenthere1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
It matters how you set up the modes in idrive.
I did mention the idrive set-up in my question...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
beenthere1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declio View Post
I have a 6MT, so not sure that it's a direct comparison--but there is a significant difference in throttle response between comfort and sport.

Sport turns on more active-sound (pumped through your interior speakers), and I believe opens the exhaust valve if it isn't already open. So yes to both.
I know there is a difference between sport and comfort, but what about the throttle difference between Sport and Comfort with the gear selector at D/S.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Declio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

nice table--thanks.

can someone explain what kick-down means?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

The chart in the post above keeps getting reposted as gospel, and it's not. That's for a 2014 335, and there are a number of differences between that and the 2-series function.

At a glance, the "kickdown" and "hold redline" columns are only true for a 228. With a 235, in every manual setting, there's no kickdown and redline is always held. Auto Start/Stop is configured as "last setting" for every mode but Eco-Pro, and only defaults on in Eco-Pro. The Launch Control column appears to be wrong as well.

The chart is a hint, but it's not really accurate in our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declio View Post
can someone explain what kick-down means?
Kickdown is when you floor the car and it goes to the lowest acceptable gear for the car's current speed. You'll feel a "click" at the bottom of the pedal travel as you pass the kickdown point.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-02-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
beenthere1
Private
Rep

That chart is... AMAZING! I appreciate there might be slight differences between an F30 and our cars, but this is a great start.

Truth be told, I'm really looking for a setting I know I can't get:

Firm suspension, light steering, and the rest set to the sport settings (prominent burble!)

In order to get the burble and stiff chassis, once has to live with the artifically heavy steering. And, when dodging taxis and trucks in the city, I prefer a lighter wheel.

I know, if I want independent chassis and steering control, I have to get a REAL M car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Zooks527
Captain
Rep

Uh, there's no "burble" change. The 335 in the chart has the M-perf exhaust, which does have an induced shift burble (N55 only). But stand outside ours, shift between modes, and I don't believe the exhaust note changes.

You're responding to the artificial engine sounds generated in the cabin, which is a massive difference from the 3er in the chart.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-02-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
WWM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Comfort with transmission in D/S is definitely normal throttle response.

Not sure about sport with engine/chassis. That mode will have the stiffer dampers and the sport transmission mode, just not sure about the throttle or exhaust.

Sport+ definitely has increased throttle sensitivity and louder exhaust.

On hot, dry days I drive around in DSC off mode, putting the transmission over to S if traffic allows. I find that the transmission being in sport mode makes the biggest difference of all when trying to increase the car's response. The sharper throttle sensitivity can sometimes be fun but it's fairly artificial.

Last edited by WWM; 07-03-2015 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
The chart in the post above keeps getting reposted as gospel, and it's not. That's for a 2014 335, and there are a number of differences between that and the 2-series function.

At a glance, the "kickdown" and "hold redline" columns are only true for a 228. With a 235, in every manual setting, there's no kickdown and redline is always held. Auto Start/Stop is configured as "last setting" for every mode but Eco-Pro, and only defaults on in Eco-Pro. The Launch Control column appears to be wrong as well.

The chart is a hint, but it's not really accurate in our cars.

Kickdown is when you floor the car and it goes to the lowest acceptable gear for the car's current speed. You'll feel a "click" at the bottom of the pedal travel as you pass the kickdown point.
In a 3 series equipped with sport/Msport, DHP (dynamic handling package), and the "sport AT" it has the same items and functions as the standard M235i and 228i equipped with sport/Msport + Track pkg.
The drive settings will do the same things in the 2 and 3.
I'm not aware of any differences between the 2 and 3 series equipped in that way and when using the same settings.

DHP in the 3 gives you the M-adaptive suspension and VSS. Adding the sport AT gives you the shift paddles, along with different programming controlling the auto trans, the latter part comes from some vague information from ZF that manufacturer of the 8spd AT. Those items comes standard in the M235i, and on the 228i sport/Msport when equipped with the track pkg.

Here is some information you likely already know, but I'll write them here so that it might help new owners or those who have questions.
I'm basing the information on my 3yrs of experience with my '13 335i Msport and information I've gathered over time.

As you know you can select what "sport" mode alters via the iDrive screen.
There is "chassis only", "drive train only", or both. In the 3 series the word "only" is displayed on the screen. I'm not positive if it's listed that way on the M235i as I've seen screen shots without the word "only" on the sport mode screen.
Chassis affects the steering effort, and the adaptive suspension.
Drive train affects the throttle response, and the trans.

That screen only affects those items when the driver mode switch is set to "sport". Eco has it's own programming, and Sport+ uses the "sport" settings along with automatically activating DTC (dynamic traction control).
DTC alters the traction control programming so that the system allows more wheel spin before the computer intervenes to control throttle.
DTC mode allows for squealing tires take off, along with being able to kick the rear end out at greater angles on turns before the computer intervenes to bring the car back under control.
To deactivate DTC you have to hold the ESC/DTC button for a few seconds and that will then turn the DTC/ESC off so that you can smoke your tires off and swing the rear out to the point of swapping the ends.
BTW, only sport and Msport 3 series get the "sport+" setting.

So, if you set sport mode to "chassis", then the adaptive suspension goes into a firmer control of the springs with altered internal valving to control the damper fluid. Additionally, "chassis" will lessen the power steering amount so that the steering requires more driver effort. BMW claims that by lessening the power steering amount that will also give the driver more steering feel. However, I don't really feel any more of what the tires and front end are doing when I set this mode in my 335i Msport.

Selecting "drive train" gives a more responsive throttle, and alters the auto trans shift points. The more responsive throttle is quite noticeable and very nice. I prefer the more sensitive throttle as it feels like the throttle should respond by default for a sport coupe or sport sedan.
For the trans, it holds gears longer, shifting at higher rpm.
It also locks out 8th gear, and only allows 7th once the MPH is somewhere above 50mph.

Similarly, putting the trans into DS mode also alters the shift points.
The difference is that DS can be selected in any of the drive modes like "comfort" or "Eco".

When in sport driver mode and "drive train" or "both" are selected the trans is put into sport mode, as I described above, even when the gear lever is in the standard "D" position . Putting the shift lever to DS doesn't seem to change anything as the trans responds and operates the same way.
Seems that the only reason to move the lever to the DS position, while in "sport" driver mode, is to be able to activate "manual" mode with the paddles.

Normally I configure my sport mode to "chassis" so I can have the firmer steering along with the firmer dampers. When I want a more sporty or aggressive drive mode I then switch to sport+, which then activates the more responsive throttle and puts the trans in sport mode.

Personal Rant:

I would love to be able to set firmer steering, firmer dampers, and more responsive throttle while leaving the trans in normal mode so that I can get the use of all 8 gears, but BMW hasn't advanced enough to be able to program the system that way. Audi has had "individual" mode in it's drive select from day one. In the Audi I could do what I would want, but oh no not in my BMW. I don't understand why BMW doesn't allow individual control of each setting. All it would take is some additional programming.
Audi's "individual" driver mode settings can also be stored so the driver pushes only 1 preset button to activate his preferred settings.
Seems BMW hasn't caught up with Audi in this area.I will continue to harp on this issue because it's f'ing ridiculous that BMW hasn't implemented it yet. It's a glaring omission.
I NEVER use "eco" mode, ever. It would be just fine with me if BMW simply removed that setting in "sport/Msport" packaged cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM View Post
Comfort with transmission in D/S is definitely normal throttle response.

Not sure about sport with engine/chassis. That mode will have the stiffer dampers and the sport transmission mode, just not sure about the throttle or exhaust.

Sport+ definitely has increased throttle sensitivity and louder exhaust.

On hot, dry days I drive around in DSC off mode, putting the transmission over to S if traffic allows. I find that the transmission being in sport mode makes the biggest difference of all when trying to increase the car's response. The sharper throttle sensitivity can sometimes be fun but it's fairly artificial.
DS trans mode while in comfort driver mode does not affect throttle response. DS trans mode is not programmed to affect throttle response.
DS mode affects the shift programming of the trans. In DS mode the trans holds gears longer and responds quicker to throttle input, so maybe that is what you're experiencing and thinking that throttle is more responsive.

Sport+ driver mode does not increase throttle response above the increase that happens when driver mode is set to "sport" and the sport setting includes "drive train". "Drive train" affects throttle and auto trans.
"Chassis" affects steering and the dampers in the suspension.

The increase in throttle response isn't any more artificial than when it's in normal/comfort mode. The throttle is drive by wire/DBW so by design moving the throttle pedal doesn't directly control the intake. The throttle pedal is a rheostat that tells the computer how much to "open" the intake.
Increasing or decreasing throttle response is simply programming for the rheostat. In normal mode a certain amount of pedal travel results in a certain amount of intake opening. In sport/sport+ that same amount of pedal travel will result in the intake opening even more, thus affecting "sensitivity".

Your experience in feeling that DS trans mode gives your 2 a more responsive nature is true and valid because DS trans mode alters the transmissions responsiveness to throttle input. In DS mode the trans will hold gear longer and kickdown a gear or two more quickly in response to throttle input. But DS affects the trans programming and not throttle programming. These items are definitely connected as part of the whole and work together, still each item has it's own programming and function.
Trees make up the forest and each tree is an individual.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:30 AM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedM235i View Post
No

No, to what?

No swimming.
No diving.
No loitering.
No service without shoes and shirt.
No kissing on the first date.
No we have no bananas.
No never means yes.
No way.
No exit.
No talking.
No fooling.
No doubt.
No disrespect.
No more.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #15
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

No nuts, I guess - our Boosted friend is trolling again
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

What is "sailing" as shown in the chart? Is that where the trans disengages to save fuel when the car is coasting? Actually I thought the trans does not disengage, but rather when the car is coasting the battery is charged. But maybe I'm confusing this with our X5?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
Zooks527
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
What is "sailing" as shown in the chart? Is that where the trans disengages to save fuel when the car is coasting? Actually I thought the trans does not disengage, but rather when the car is coasting the battery is charged. But maybe I'm confusing this with our X5?
Sailing is when the automatic transmission disconnects to free roll. Honestly, I think in the real world you get better mileage when the engine turns over with the injectors turned off than you do while idling in neutral, but the way the EU fuel consumption test is setup, this lets them game some points.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Uh, there's no "burble" change. The 335 in the chart has the M-perf exhaust, which does have an induced shift burble (N55 only). But stand outside ours, shift between modes, and I don't believe the exhaust note changes.

You're responding to the artificial engine sounds generated in the cabin, which is a massive difference from the 3er in the chart.
Pretty sure that it does change. In sport mode a valve actuates in the exhaust making it louder with the burble noise being more accented.

Just try it in your garage with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Personal Rant:

I would love to be able to set firmer steering, firmer dampers, and more responsive throttle while leaving the trans in normal mode so that I can get the use of all 8 gears, but BMW hasn't advanced enough to be able to program the system that way. Audi has had "individual" mode in it's drive select from day one. In the Audi I could do what I would want, but oh no not in my BMW. I don't understand why BMW doesn't allow individual control of each setting. All it would take is some additional programming.
Audi's "individual" driver mode settings can also be stored so the driver pushes only 1 preset button to activate his preferred settings.
Seems BMW hasn't caught up with Audi in this area.I will continue to harp on this issue because it's f'ing ridiculous that BMW hasn't implemented it yet. It's a glaring omission.
I NEVER use "eco" mode, ever. It would be just fine with me if BMW simply removed that setting in "sport/Msport" packaged cars.
Exactly my beef too with the little bimmy compared to the Audi. I REALLY would like a firm steering in Comfort mode. That would make it perfect for day to day driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

On comfort as well as Eco mode
only 1 exhaust port is in use
As apposed to sport mode with utilizes both exhaust ports for a better sound.
And yes throttle response changes between the modes.
Eco mode you'll notice it be dull
comfort is decent
and sport is rather sharp
Appreciate 0