THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport+ vs Sport mode on the M235i

07-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
D.
Rep
Drives: M3

Sport+ vs Sport mode on the M235i

Can someone tell me in practical terms what does Sport+ mode provide as compared to plain Sport mode on the M235i ? My understanding is that Sport mode (compared to Comfort mode) offers better throttle response, different engine mapping, stiffer suspension setting and a 'heavier' steering wheel. How is Sport + different than Sport ?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Sport+ let's you slide the rear just enough to make you feel cool
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Personally, driving the MT, I feel the throttle is a touch more sensitive and the car feels a little lighter. I agree that the car is probably not programed to feel different between sport and sport +. But my theory is because it doesn't have the same nannies/traction control, it has the appearance of feeling slightly different. Just a theory and it may be in my head. Most people disagree but I thought I'd throw it out there. Although I've read a handful of MT drivers agree the throttle feels different in sport +. Either way sport+ is the only way I drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Can someone tell me in practical terms what does Sport+ mode provide as compared to plain Sport mode on the M235i ? My understanding is that Sport mode (compared to Comfort mode) offers better throttle response, different engine mapping, stiffer suspension setting and a 'heavier' steering wheel. How is Sport + different than Sport ?

Thank you in advance.
I believe Sport + mode turns off all of the nannies, except traction control. This means the driver can spin out the car, among other wild things. Basically, it becomes a drivers car, much like the old. pre-electronics days.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
daveslaine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Coming soon

Wouldn't drive in sport+ unless your on a track. You can overdo it on a corner and slip and lose control. Stick to sport,it's safer
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I believe Sport + mode turns off all of the nannies, except traction control. This means the driver can spin out the car, among other wild things. Basically, it becomes a drivers car, much like the old. pre-electronics days.
I would say it changes the nannies and traction control. It definitely does not turn them off. Case in point. Try and do donuts in Sport+. Doesn't work. The car will plow into the front tires. It's not easy to get the back end around. Now hold the DSC button and disable traction. Try and rotate. Easy as pie.

But I agree with you, sport+ makes driving a lot more fun. And that's what I love about sport+. It allows you to get a little wild but once you hit BMWs (safe IMO) limit, the car reels it back in. It's quite magical.

Last edited by 2msport; 07-04-2015 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveslaine View Post
Wouldn't drive in sport+ unless your on a track. You can overdo it on a corner and slip and lose control. Stick to sport,it's safer
lol oh ok. That's what a dealer says, no offense. Somehow equating that just selecting the car to sport+ will throw the car out of control.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveslaine View Post
Come on who's going to lose control. Leave the cotton wool at home.

Sport and Sport + should be used all the time.

Sport+ does change the car over just Sport and makes it more fun on the tight twisty corners.
      07-05-2015, 03:27 AM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Sport+ has the same settings as sport mode.
The difference is that DTC-dynamic traction control is engaged.
This means that that traction control allows more wheel spin before intervening.
Also, ESC allows a greater slip angle of the rear end before it steps in.

Turning stability control off is done by pressing the separate button right above the driver mode. With that turned off you have to drive with greater control as then you can hand the rear out as far as you can handle.
Appreciate 0