THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Those little annoying imperfections...

07-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #67
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
Is it just me. Or did you guys expect to ride to be slightly more quiet. I finally took the 228 on a mini road trip going around 80 and it was louder than I expected.
It's not just you; when I changed my plushy F10 for the M235i I noticed it was louder inside - both due to inferior chassis insulation (and hence more tire noise), and due to the (probably purposefully) louder exhaust.

But believe - with the speeds I travel with, the wind noise is already so prevalent that any noise level differences between the 5 and 2 series cars simply disappear

PS Further on less chassis insulation of the M235i when compared to F10: the first time I drove it on a stone chippings covered road, leading directly to my front yard, I noticed the stones bombarding the inner wheel wells; I never heard it in my F10...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD

Last edited by moldcad; 07-05-2015 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #68
papa55
Rep
Drives: Japanese

the gas tank definitely definitely needs to be bigger. When a 2900 lb porsche cayman has a 17 gallon tank and the 2 series is 13.7 if i recall, there is no excuse for it to be so small. That is an additional 75 miles between refills. Call me lazy but if this is a daily driver that is an easy tie breaker when car shopping.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #69
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I'm shocked with all the right hand volume hate! I like my hand on the shifter and left on the wheel so I like the cruise controls on the left. eh, whatever works. I actually miss the old school cruise stalk, for some reason I don't like using the wheely thing for adjusting speed cruise.

As for my biggest complaint, no question, the loss of "DUAL" climate control.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #70
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Imperfections = soul & personality right?

maybe not....
      09-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #71
mcom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine WT M235i Vert

Why not have the volume with the icontrol nob? Make so much more sense.
-Door handle too far forward
-HK woeful
-largish gap between seats and console (I purchased the fillers cheap, and love them)

All in all, best all around car I have had though... hits the right spot between fun/economy perfectly.
      09-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #72
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcom View Post
-Door handle too far forward
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #73
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

Visor doesn't slide rearward. Engineering is all about designing something to meet a requirement. The requirement of a sun visor is to keep the sun out of a user's eyes.
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      09-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #74
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Every car with steering wheel buttons should have an easily accessible option to select whether audio volume is left or right. This also bugs me in Mercedeses.

So the sun visor in the 2 is like in the e89 in that the center side doesn't detach so that you cannot shield the side window's top?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #75
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
So the sun visor in the 2 is like in the e89 in that the center side doesn't detach so that you cannot shield the side window's top?
It's like the E90 in that when it is swung to the side, it only covers half the length of the window, and won't slide back to block the sun if the sin isn't in the front half.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #76
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker View Post
Visor doesn't slide rearward. Engineering is all about designing something to meet a requirement. The requirement of a sun visor is to keep the sun out of a user's eyes.
I bought a set of black Visor Mates to address this. Had to write to them first with dimensions as our visors are narrow, but they sent a perfectly matched set! They are unobtrusive when not needed but slide to fill the shortfall area very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #77
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

- Door swings too wide without a detent part-way
- Wish door would advance forward automatically (or based on a switch setting) when folded forward, then upon restoring it upright it would go back to where it was
- Wish for setting for loud-exhaust (valve open) but not sport suspension for nice sound even on rough roads
- A place to put the key fob
- I'd say that's it!
      09-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #78
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I'm very happy with this car and would buy it again today. That said, there are some minor things I would change.

The stereo doesn't remember the volume level setting. Every time I start the car I need to turn the volume knob six clicks clockwise. As I recall, it always starts at about the last "e" in Entertainment and I like it to be at the last "t". Not a big deal. Just another thing to do every time I start the car. Maybe there is a code change that would either bump the initial volume by six clicks or remember the volume level that was set when the car was turned off. I have the HK stereo upgrade, and only play MP3s, if that matters. Rental cars seem to do this too.

Another minor annoyance is the size of the side bolsters on the M Sport seats. I'm lean and athletic but it's still hard to get into the car without rubbing the left bolster to some degree. It will probably show signs of wear after a few years. I'm unwilling to reposition the seat repeatedly for entry/exit. The seats are supportive and comfortable as is. I think nothing would be lost if the side bolsters protruded forward a bit less (say 1-1.5 inches less).

I agree with others on the following widely recognized imperfections:
- The gas tank is a bit too small (but I'd rather have that than a longer car).
- The door handle looks nice but is very far forward. Adding a hand grip aft of the window switches would alleviate this IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #79
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Not sure if this bothers anyone else, but i hate how the center console slides only fully forward or fully back and it takes a bit of effort to slide it either way. I wish that it would stay if you wanted it say half up instead of it being so free flowing between those two points.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #80
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
The stereo doesn't remember the volume level setting. Every time I start the car I need to turn the volume knob six clicks clockwise. As I recall, it always starts at about the last "e" in Entertainment and I like it to be at the last "t". Not a big deal. Just another thing to do every time I start the car. Maybe there is a code change that would either bump the initial volume by six clicks or remember the volume level that was set when the car was turned off.
It resets volume to be less than ~20%, but you can code that number. I set it to 70%.

Quote:
I'm unwilling to reposition the seat repeatedly for entry/exit.
There is also a code for easy exit/entry. It will move the seat a little automatically.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #81
FlyingScot1050
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt

Had mine for about a week now and these are my small beefs with it.

Footwell room: Vertical clearance in the driver's footwell is frustrating, I drag my left toes working the clutch on a regular basis, and my size 10 feet aren't exactly big. I also wouldn't mind if the dead pedal were a little smaller, I'll catch the left side of my clutch foot on it on occasion as well.

Coat hooks: Seriously? Who put these where they are? Have they ever seen a coathanger before? I travel with a dress shirt on a nearly daily basis, and these have yet to not deposit the shirt in a heap on the back seat.

Gas tank size: Not a huge complaint, as it will (barely) get me through a week's typical driving, but I drive way less than the average Houstonian. Can definitely understand the frustration above.

Reverse being to the left and up: Part of this is me getting adjusted to my first BMW, so shift patterns have always been to the right and down in my vehicles. That said I've caught the reverse "gate" in a 3-2 downshift twice now, and I can't figure any functional advantage to putting reverse there vs. the more common pattern.

Short sixth gear: For a six cyl road-going car, especially a turbocharged one with as ridiculously broad a torque spread as it has, 6th gear is annoyingly short. Having it turning 2,000 rpms at 60mph seems like a bit much.

Temp gauge: Obligatory. Hell, even just a not-yet-up-to-temp light like VWs get would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #82
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
- Door swings too wide without a detent part-way
- Wish door would advance forward automatically (or based on a switch setting) when folded forward, then upon restoring it upright it would go back to where it was
- Wish for setting for loud-exhaust (valve open) but not sport suspension for nice sound even on rough roads
- A place to put the key fob
- I'd say that's it!
You can set the car to have sport engine settings without having the suspension or steering if you hit option while selecting sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #83
JMatt88
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot1050 View Post
Temp gauge: Obligatory. Hell, even just a not-yet-up-to-temp light like VWs get would be nice.
I normally wait until the car allows me to check it's oil on i-drive.
Which confirms "Normal Operating Temperature" has been reached.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #84
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot1050 View Post
Had mine for about a week now and these are my small beefs with it.

Footwell room: Vertical clearance in the driver's footwell is frustrating, I drag my left toes working the clutch on a regular basis, and my size 10 feet aren't exactly big. I also wouldn't mind if the dead pedal were a little smaller, I'll catch the left side of my clutch foot on it on occasion as well.

Coat hooks: Seriously? Who put these where they are? Have they ever seen a coathanger before? I travel with a dress shirt on a nearly daily basis, and these have yet to not deposit the shirt in a heap on the back seat.

Gas tank size: Not a huge complaint, as it will (barely) get me through a week's typical driving, but I drive way less than the average Houstonian. Can definitely understand the frustration above.

Reverse being to the left and up: Part of this is me getting adjusted to my first BMW, so shift patterns have always been to the right and down in my vehicles. That said I've caught the reverse "gate" in a 3-2 downshift twice now, and I can't figure any functional advantage to putting reverse there vs. the more common pattern.

Short sixth gear: For a six cyl road-going car, especially a turbocharged one with as ridiculously broad a torque spread as it has, 6th gear is annoyingly short. Having it turning 2,000 rpms at 60mph seems like a bit much.

Its not the fact that reverse is up and to the left that causes the problem, its the type of lockout BMW used. It only requires you to push a little bit harder to the left to get into reverse. Audi does it a much better way. In the RS4 the shift pattern is the same, but to get past the lockout you need to push the shifter downwards under the lockout. I've never once hit the reverse gate in the RS4 but I've done it a bunch of times in the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #85
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt88 View Post
I normally wait until the car allows me to check it's oil on i-drive.
Which confirms "Normal Operating Temperature" has been reached.
I'm sorry, but having to dig through a menu to know if the car has reached operating temp is asinine.

On a performance car, a temp gauge should be standard. Period. Otherwise (as in our cars ... though not mine since I have a P3 installed), one has to guesstimate when it's OK to go WOT (or somesuch). That's not always measured in miles driven or time elapsed, as owners manuals are wont to measure that by these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #86
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Volume control is perfect for RHD cars.

And if that is the biggest beef with the car. Wow BMW clearly got a lot right.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #87
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm sorry, but having to dig through a menu to know if the car has reached operating temp is asinine.
No argument - it is asinine. You can kind of work around it by making the oil level screen a favorite with one of the 8 buttons. You still have to take the time to press the button instead of just glance at the dashboard, but it's better than navigating the iDrive menu structure.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #88
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOC View Post
You can kind of work around it by making the oil level screen a favorite with one of the 8 buttons.
Good idea I will do that, along with temp.
Appreciate 0