THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack TPMS replacement cost?

12-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

TPMS replacement cost?

I have a 2014 M235i that I just picked up CPO in September. I found a great deal on a set of Blizzaks/wheels here locally and put them this weekend. After my TPMS warning went off and some research, they have have the older TPMS sensors in them. They are from a 2011 328. My build date is 5/2014. I ordered the correct sensors from Tirerack last night. How much should I expect for a tire shop to do the swap for me? All I need them to do is the swap correct? No programming? I just get them swapped and do a reset from idrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

I'd guess you're looking at $50 or so. Just reset in iDrive and go, nothing else to do. If your old ones are good they're worth at least $100. Post them up on the classifieds.

Be sure to show the shop that the replacements are brand new. They always want to "service" the sensors at $3-4 each every time they touch them.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
I'd guess you're looking at $50 or so. Just reset in iDrive and go, nothing else to do. If your old ones are good they're worth at least $100. Post them up on the classifieds.

Be sure to show the shop that the replacements are brand new. They always want to "service" the sensors at $3-4 each every time they touch them.
Thank you sir. That's what I thought the case would be, but I got confused when I called a local German indy shop. I thought they were reputable, but the owner was telling me he'd have to do all of this reprogramming and that I'd have to leave the car with him for "a while". I told him that I thought the new sensors were plug and play with just an idrive reset and he laughed and said nothing was that easy. Nice enough guy, we BS'd about his 1M for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Apparently BMW uses a system where the computer decides "hey, I see the same 4 ID codes all the time they must be mine" rather than having to be programmed. I've spent way too much time with Techstream reprogramming our Toyotas twice a year. I like this system.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't write the mechanic off yet - there are so many cars that DO need a bunch of fiddling to get the sensors to work, that it isn't strange to assume BMW would be at least as complicated. I was shocked that my BMW is plug/play, but my Honda needs a dealership go-over each time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Don't write the mechanic off yet - there are so many cars that DO need a bunch of fiddling to get the sensors to work, that it isn't strange to assume BMW would be at least as complicated. I was shocked that my BMW is plug/play, but my Honda needs a dealership go-over each time.
I get that, the shop I am going to had never heard of it either, but they are just a tire shop. I would have expected a BMW specific indy shop to know that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
I get that, the shop I am going to had never heard of it either, but they are just a tire shop. I would have expected a BMW specific indy shop to know that.
Which tire shop are you going to, one of the retail chains? I'm on a quest to find a local "mom-n-pop" garage with a capable tire machine, willing to remove the Michelin Xi3s from a set of wheels and put them on the stock 2er wheels...all while turning a blind eye to the size differences.

I hate Dobbs, btw...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
Which tire shop are you going to, one of the retail chains? I'm on a quest to find a local "mom-n-pop" garage with a capable tire machine, willing to remove the Michelin Xi3s from a set of wheels and put them on the stock 2er wheels...all while turning a blind eye to the size differences.

I hate Dobbs, btw...
I’m going to the Autotire on Page west of 270. The guy that runs the place is very nice and will always deal. If you’re looking for a non chain, try Jammin Jay’s. Goofy name, but that place has great ratings and he seems to bend over backwards to help people. I used him to replace some rusted exhaust sections. Thanks Lexus for the heat shields that promote early rust :/
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Follow-up

$48 to replace them all. First 3 reset attempts failed, 4th one stuck. Not sure if this was due to the old sensors being in a bag on the passenger seat, time for the new sensors to start working, or other. Bottom line, all is good.

Another take away, and this is only based on one data point, does TPMS failure cause the car to limit performance? I hard shifted from 1st to 2nd and I had a significant stall in power as if traction control was limiting power. Power eventually came and normal was fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Follow-up

$48 to replace them all. First 3 reset attempts failed, 4th one stuck. Not sure if this was due to the old sensors being in a bag on the passenger seat, time for the new sensors to start working, or other. Bottom line, all is good.

Another take away, and this is only based on one data point, does TPMS failure cause the car to limit performance? I hard shifted from 1st to 2nd and I had a significant stall in power as if traction control was limiting power. Power eventually came and normal was fine.
No its not limp-mode of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

tpms, low pressure will keep you limited to comfort mode.

You can reset the tpms from idrive than put it back into sport or sport +... It will kick u out once the reset finishes.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0