THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N55 M235i making weird ticking noise when unlocking

02-20-2024, 06:29 AM   #1
barbuse
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

N55 M235i making weird ticking noise when unlocking

Hello guys,

Just bought a second-hand 2015 M235i with 53,000 km on the clock. When I took the car out in the morning the day after I bought it, it made a weird ticking noise when I unlocked it (which I hadn't heard when testing the car at the dealership, obviously... ).

Here's a video of the issue:

It doesn't happen every time, only when I unlock the car after it has been sitting for a while, which is why I didn't hear it at the dealership. It also happens sometimes when I lock the car back. It only lasts for a couple of seconds and then goes away. No other issues, no warnings, no power loss, or anything to be noticed on the car. It runs very smoothly.

After doing some research, I figured it could be related to the Valvetronic motor, which is apparently a common problem.

I took it to my local BMW shop this morning (not where I bought it), and they confirmed it is the Valvetronic motor.

I have an appointment to fix it but only in 2 weeks' time... They told me it was perfectly safe to drive. Now, I've read some pretty bad stories about it that it can damage the engine itself. So, is it really safe to drive? What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:49 AM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Valvetronic motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
barbuse
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Valvetronic motor.
Ok thanks for your reply. And is it safe to drive the car until I can get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:52 AM   #4
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbuse View Post
Ok thanks for your reply. And is it safe to drive the car until I can get it fixed?
Yes, reduced power, increased fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0