BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I've really messed up big time...Replaced my steering wheel

04-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero88 View Post
So to confirm there's absolutely nothing I can do with an EU BMW To open from inside?
Call your dealership. They know the workaround (which, preferably, isn't posted publicly).
I wouldn't count on that, within the last 13 years of being a BMW consumer, I was never able to get a strait answer on anything, just from a phone call, to a franchise dealership.

Not because they're secretive but merely clueless.

Their response was always; make an appointment and bring it in.

I owe 90% of my knowledge on BMW/Mini from sites like Bimmerpost and peer sharing from other outlets, such as Reddit. The other 10% is trial and error.

Contacting a dealer is dead-end, any viable suggestion has already outlined here, it's up to him now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #24
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Best way is to use the jump posts under the bonnet sorry hood as previously said but only if one terminal is still on the battery not both off and touching the body to create a short. The horn going off is probably a wire shorting again as previously said.

I would pop the airbag off while the battery is off then sort out a jump on the front posts then drive it home without the airbag so you can get your head together and diagnose it in your own time when back.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #25
sauce25
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero88 View Post
So I swapped my steering wheel the other day for a carbon alcantara wheel, I followed all the necessary steps....

Disconnect battery (left boot open of course and seats down)
Remove airbag
Remove steering wheel
Remove trim/buttons and transfer to new

and then the reverse order.

I have then turned the car back on and the airbag light came on "Driver restraint system". When i pushed down on the horn, it would constantly go off until I turned the battery off.

So a few days has passed and ive purchased myself a lead to try and code out the fault, but now when i turn the car on and start driving, a few seconds goes by and the horn just constantly blows. This happened while i was driving down the road, so in a panic, I parked to the side of the road (luckily in a parking bay) ran out the car and turned the battery off, closed the boot (idiot) and now my car of couse wont turn on. I did leave the seats down but I have no idea how to unlock the boot from inside and I've scoured the internet and cant find a solution.

I'm completely lost as to what to do, or what is going on with the airbag/horn.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try?

Good Morning, Something similar just happened to me when I swapped out my steering wheel. When I connected the battery the horn would go off consistently. Check the ground wire on the steering wheel. There is a tab that it needs to sit in that secures it from moving. Part of the ground wire tab was not seated correctly and it was touching the horn plate causing the short. Hope this helps.

You can see how close the ground tab is to the horn plate. Make sure it is not touching it.

https://link.shutterfly.com/nMmqETA7Z5

Last edited by sauce25; 04-27-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #26
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

horn plate is the big center piece to the left of the ground? i am about to tackle this myself too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
sauce25
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
horn plate is the big center piece to the left of the ground? i am about to tackle this myself too.
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 11:24 AM   #28
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm replying to an old thread that helped me. Maybe it will help somebody else, as it was hard to dig this up.

I've swapped a dozen st wheels. Never had the horn keep going off, only way to stop it was unhook the battery. Then it would start again!

Turns out: ANY exposed wire touching the horn plate will set off the horn. So I make sure NOTHING is touching the horn plate. Before yesterday I had no idea what a horn plate was lol now I'm an expert

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 04-11-2024 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: a
Appreciate 0