THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum External Temperature Monitor

12-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

External Temperature Monitor

During our cold snap this week, the external temperature monitor seems to operate randomly. A couple of 37 degree warnings have been issued, but my previous BMW's warned consistently when the car was started, or whenever the temperature dropped to the threshold. What is others' experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think my readings are kind of random.
Usually get a reading in the morning and in the evening but during the day it seems not to notify on each start up.
37 Farenhite is the warning limit
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I think I got my last warning two weeks ago before we slipped into a deep freeze. Haven't had any warnings since.. I chalked it up to the humorless German model of, "It was cold when you did this before.. You should know by now.."

Not real impressed with the temperature sensor so far, but it could very well be clogged or covered in ice. It's always been very slow to respond and sometimes wildly inaccurate. I'm just hoping that engine management is using a better sensor..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think mine dings every time the temp falls below 37; so about a mile from leaving the garage. Not sure if is has been ringing during these cold days where startup is already sub-32, and I suspect it does not. I'll pay attention more - usually2 or 3 chimes for different things (brake, seatbelt, etc). Probably there to warn us of the change, but figures if it was sub-freezing at startup you already know that. And my outside temp seems pretty accurate, when I bother to check it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think mine dings every time the temp falls below 37; so about a mile from leaving the garage. Not sure if is has been ringing during these cold days where startup is already sub-32, and I suspect it does not. I'll pay attention more - usually2 or 3 chimes for different things (brake, seatbelt, etc). Probably there to warn us of the change, but figures if it was sub-freezing at startup you already know that. And my outside temp seems pretty accurate, when I bother to check it.
This is correct. The warning resets after the car's temp sensor goes back above the 37F threshold. You won't see another warning until the outside temp goes back above 37F and the sensor resets itself.
Appreciate 3
Maynard3848.00
raleedy160.00