THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Strange loud "thump"

12-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Strange loud "thump"

I was driving to work today on the interstate going about 70mph. The road was completely clear of debris and no cars were near me. I was driving into a 20mph gusting head wind and was coming around a bend to a point that the wind became more of a cross-wind. As I'm driving, I hear this quite loud thump from the driver's side rear of the car, more towards the outside of the car (not underneath). The sound came from the opposite side of the car where the wind was coming from. The thump was strong enough to feel it through the seat and it sounded like it came from the body and not the tires. I didn't hit anything in the road and nothing from another car hit me either. When I got to work, I looked over the car closely on the outside and underneath and nothing was out of place or damaged. It all looks normal. There was the loud thump and then everything was completely normal.

I know these cars make some weird electrical sounds and I've had cars make interesting sounds in really stiff wind like hissing/moaning/tapping, but this sound is a first. Usually when you hear a noise like this, you've hit something.

Any theories? Happen to you?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

"And, in other news tonight, an irate pedestrian walking along the interstate reports being bumped back onto the shoulder by a passing BMW. No injuries were reported, which the pedestrian attributed to wearing a heavy and padded winter coat. There were no further identifying details about the BMW which was last seen continuing on its way, apparently also undamaged from contact with the softly-clad pedestrian. The pedestrian did admit, however, "That was one good-looking BMW!"

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-16-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Haha. Seriously, years ago a deer ran out and head-butted my rental car in similar spot of the car. As I looked in my rear view, I saw him shake his head like "WTF just happened?". That is exactly what it sounded like today. No deer, nuns, or children were near my car when this happened. Thank God.

The best way to describe the sound was like being in the car when someone closes the trunk. I thought maybe I didn't close the trunk all the way and when I hit a deep bump, perhaps the lid fully closed on the highway. But that doesn't seem plausible as the trunk light should have been on.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
xtremcarl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228xi

Maybe the body of the guy you hit sliding from side to side in your trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Just have human heads in the trunk right now. No bodies.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
"And, in other news tonight, an irate pedestrian walking along the interstate reports being bumped back onto the shoulder by a passing BMW. No injuries were reported, which the pedestrian attributed to wearing a heavy and padded winter coat. There were no further identifying details about the BMW which was last seen continuing on its way, apparently also undamaged from contact with the softly-clad pedestrian. The pedestrian did admit, however, "That was one good-looking BMW!"

OP, there is your answer

I've had the car for quite a while now as my daily drive and sometimes it makes a strange thumping noise. I've stopped paying attention to it as it has been doing it since the beginning. I know at least one other person who has a similar experience and both of our cars are completely troublefree.

That's ignoring the weird electrical ticks and noises it sometimes makes (like, what the hell are you doing?).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Could the fuel filler door have been open and then blown shut?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I was driving along in my BMW the other day and heard a loud TRUMP, not sure what the hell it was.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I was driving along in my BMW the other day and heard a loud TRUMP, not sure what the hell it was.
I've learned to just disregard it because it's obviously full of hot air and won't be around long as it tends to consume itself. Sure is funny to listen to though.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      12-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I've learned to just disregard it because it's obviously full of hot air and won't be around long as it tends to consume itself. Sure is funny to listen to though.

I don't want to hear it, certainly! In fact, for the first time, I now have a touch of regret that I ordered orange!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0