THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Option Regrets

06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #45
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Does anyone regret ordering too many options?

I sure do.

I wish I didn't get the $3700 Premium package which includes:
Sunroof that I don't want (weight)
GPS that I don't use
Electric Seats that I never really need to adjust
Heated Steering wheel (gloves anyone)
Rear parking sensor and camera (the ONLY thing i want)
GPS doesn't come with the premium package...it comes with the tech pkg

and heated steering wheel comes with the cold weather pkg at least in the US
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #46
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
GPS doesn't come with the premium package...it comes with the tech pkg

and heated steering wheel comes with the cold weather pkg at least in the US
Canadian big packages suck
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #47
slingy
Rep
Drives: 228i

Option regret *sigh*

Main ones are reverse camera and ferric grey wheels.
Second tier is big nav and driving aids
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:17 AM   #48
VolTekka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Probably.

I ordered automatic high beams, which simply turns the high beams on and off depending on cars coming directly at you. When you code the intelligent feature in, it's like the headlights have a brain! They constantly scan/sweep/move around as I drive. You can easily see the beam adjusting to whatever the current situation is. I can literally leave my high beams on and drive the highway without blinding anyone. The car will adjust to low beam, high beam, or sometimes one side is on high while the other is on low! It's crazy. It even splits the beam around the car in front of you on a very dark road. Our lighting regulations here in the US are just STUPID. There is no reason why this should not be standard on all cars World wide.
Wow, and I'm assuming this only came with one of the packages, Tech or Premium (2015).

Wish I knew about more bout this feature before ordering.
Figured it was something I didn't really need or want, since I've never had it in my previous cars. But man, sounds awesome leaving your high beams on all the time for night driving, especially since I have trouble seeing at night.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #49
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
The only thing i regret not getting was the camera and the front parking sensors the rest i'm very happy with the rest.

I have seen how practical the front sensors are. And the back camera is a nice add on to the rear parking sensors just for an extra security so i don't mess something up.

Why people complain about the sunroof i have no idea a love the thing, I know if your performance crazy then i understand why you hate it, But other then that for dd its awesome. Just love holding the key in on the key fob and walking up to my car while all the windows rolls down and sunroof opens its neat

Regarding for some people it seems that the Headlight washers keeps popping out all the time, I got them also but i have my light settings set to "0" so only DLRs are on during the day and they never pop up then only when i switch on the xenon even then it only happens like 1 of 10 times for me :S

But then again in Sweden we can drive right now until 23.00 or to 11.00 clock american time before the sun sets and then its still bright as hell outside. Love summer times.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #50
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Not sure where you're from, but the US market doesn't get this feature. Our high-beam assistant just turns the high-beam's entirely off when it sees another car coming.
You do get the feature, it's just coded out....

but you can code it back in like the Variable light distribution
Do you know the name of the variable(s) that allow for this function to be coded "on"?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #51
nyboy
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

I find it odd that people would want rear view cameras on a small coupe.
if it was a bigger car/suv I would totally understand
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #52
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy View Post
The 2 doesnt exactly have good rearward visibility, and has tiny side mirrors. The camera helps for those of us who reverse into tight garage parking. Besides, by 2018 all cars sold in the US will have them due to the new federal laws.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #53
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
I ordered the Driver Assistance Package in order to protect the front bumper, it is so low that it will hit many concrete blocks in parking lots. After a test drive at the dealership (not my car) I just barely touched the front spoiler in the parking lot to the curb. It didn't hurt it, I didn't think I was that close to the curb...getting bumpers repainted ain't cheap.

The most important reason for getting the rear camera is because when I back up in a supermarket parking lot, there are often kids all over the place. If there is any chance that having that camera would allow me to see some little kid in back of me that I might otherwise hit then the feature is worth every penny * 1,000,000+.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #54
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
My only regret is that I ordered my car to soon. I should've waited until I could get out of my company car. I love my M235i exactly as ordered. Currently I'm not able to enjoy it as much as I want/need to. I drive it once or twice a week. If I had it to do all over again I'd order the same way but would've waited until December 2015 to order

PS
I'm glad I ordered the Alarm and the rear backup camera/sensor packages.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #55
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I ordered the Driver Assistance Package in order to protect the front bumper, it is so low that it will hit many concrete blocks in parking lots. After a test drive at the dealership (not my car) I just barely touched the front spoiler in the parking lot to the curb. It didn't hurt it, I didn't think I was that close to the curb...getting bumpers repainted ain't cheap.

The most important reason for getting the rear camera is because when I back up in a supermarket parking lot, there are often kids all over the place. If there is any chance that having that camera would allow me to see some little kid in back of me that I might otherwise hit then the feature is worth every penny * 1,000,000+.
I ordered the Driver Assistance package mostly to avoid damage from concrete blocks.

Regarding the OP's question, the only regret that I have is that I maybe went a bit option-heavy on my M235i, while knowing that a well-optioned car isn't generally all that more valuable than a lightly optioned car in terms of resale value. I don't care too much though, as I'm hoping to keep the car as my DD for at least the next five years and will enjoy the extra stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #56
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
LSD
Nice thing is you can add that anytime you want. Will probably be better cheaper options than the OEM one too, eventually.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #57
AWheeler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I have most of the options and am happy I got them, though that is probably just my reaction to owning cars that always had few or not options. If I get another BMW, I will probably again want the tech, cold weather, and premium packages.

If I were to have changed an option it may have been getting a RWD 6MT instead of the xdrive and 8AT. I'm still very happy with my powertrain and I believe the forum has given this topic a thorough discussion already
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #58
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

My M235i is by far the most well equipped car I've ever owned, and I have no regrets.

And since the car has so many goodies, I can periodically pick up the manual, wander out to the garage and learn something new. I'll probably never figure out every single widget, but that's fine with me. I seriously doubt I'll ever get bored with this car.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #59
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

I'm all for a nav system, but $2,000...that's a tough pill to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtlwulf View Post
only regret was not getting navigation, however i can live without it
      06-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #60
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
I'm coming from a Mustang GT that was over a foot longer than the M235i, and yet I find the rear camera indispensable, and the front/rear sensors maybe even more so. I am a terrible judge of the car size while parking, either backing into a spot or pulling forward into it, but the sensors and camera let me know exactly how close I am to the curbing or anything else.
      06-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #61
2twenty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i 6spd M-Sport

I prob would have sprung for the Harmon Kardon sound system. It's not that I think the base system sounds bad (I actually thinks it sounds great), it's just I don't think the base system has rear speakers, and it you could tell the sound is coming from the doors only. (Or am I doing something wrong ; settings wise?)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #62
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twenty8 View Post
I prob would have sprung for the Harmon Kardon sound system. It's not that I think the base system sounds bad (I actually thinks it sounds great), it's just I don't think the base system has rear speakers, and it you could tell the sound is coming from the doors only. (Or am I doing something wrong ; settings wise?)
Yes there are rear speakers and a Fader control in the iDrive Tone settings to adjust f/r balance.

I'm with you on the HK stereo - that's my one regret. I figured I would just upgrade the speakers like I have done on previous cars, but it turns out there are a couple issues with that.

1. There are so few 2 series cars that no one has much information about speaker replacement. Even big outfits like Crutchfield have no info.

2. The BMW Active Sound has been a nightmare for some. It gets annoyingly loud with upgraded speakers and amp. The electronics sub-forum is full of these stories. The only solution seems to be to turn it off entirely, and that must be done by coding, I think.

So while the HK option is reportedly not worth the money (compared to the quality of aftermarket pieces), it's still better than the base system and is factory installed and covered by the warranty.
      06-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #63
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Yes there are rear speakers and a Fader control in the iDrive Tone settings to adjust f/r balance.

I'm with you on the HK stereo - that's my one regret. I figured I would just upgrade the speakers like I have done on previous cars, but it turns out there are a couple issues with that.

1. There are so few 2 series cars that no one has much information about speaker replacement. Even big outfits like Crutchfield have no info.

2. The BMW Active Sound has been a nightmare for some. It gets annoyingly loud with upgraded speakers and amp. The electronics sub-forum is full of these stories. The only solution seems to be to turn it off entirely, and that must be done by coding, I think.

So while the HK option is reportedly not worth the money (compared to the quality of aftermarket pieces), it's still better than the base system and is factory installed and covered by the warranty.
There's some wires hidden in the trunk area to turn off the sound I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #64
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
There's some wires hidden in the trunk area to turn off the sound I believe.
You would make a lot of people happy if you could provide details.
      06-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #65
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
You would make a lot of people happy if you could provide details.
There's a thread for it. Forgot where I haven't done it...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #66
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
The only thing I was on the fence was about was the Executive package which came with Comfort Access, Adaptive Headlights, Harman Kardon and the universal garage opener.

I wish I got this package because I didn't realize that the 228i in Canada doesn't even get Hi-Fi so there's no centre channel speaker and there's also no tweeters on the side. It's a huge downgrade from the standard Hi-Fi I had on my 328i. I also missed on the comfort access since on most of the cars including the M235i, it's part of the premium package.

Generally, I'm happy with what I have but if I knew my car had such crappy sound, I would've paid extra for executive package so I can get comfort access and HK.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0