THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Who drives in Sport +

06-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #45
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
well as Wheelwright said.... there is actually a difference between sport and sport+ apart from DTC

whether sport can be configured to
-chassis
-drivetrain
-chassis & drivetrain

sport+ is always set to (chassis & drivetrain & DTC on)

I empirically verified this....

I configured sport to (chassis only) and this is what happened:

- Started in Comfort
- Hit drive mode button and switched to Sport....(steering got heavier - no engine downshift or throttle difference)
- Hit drive mode button again and switched to Sport+ (steering stayed heavier but engine downshifted)

I was going to try to configure sport to (drivetrain) only and do the same but passengers on the car didn't want me to rock the car left to right to see if there was any steering change so maybe i'll try this when i'm alone...

the reason why a lot of people think the only difference between sport and sport+ is DTC is cause sport comes configured by default to (chassis & drivetrain) so effectively in this case the only difference between the modes is DTC on
That still doesn't answer the question as to whether sport (configured chassis & drivetrain) drives the same as sport+. (I say no it doesn't) why are we still talking about being able to configure sport mode. We all know we can configure chassis and or drivetrain. That was never a question. (For most of us who bothered to browse the idrive) the real question is how does sport and sport+ drive/feel different, if at all. I'm tired of asking the question since people just come back explaining sport modes options... It sounds like Dr. Indi Jones noticed a difference too. "Steering will be it's heaviest in sport+ mode". Meaning it's heavier than sport mode. (With chassis and drivetrain selected)

Pikcachu: I know people think they are the same. But based on nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #46
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
I don’t have my car yet so can’t test anything or comment on what it feels like to me. But I read this thread and understand what people are saying. There is a variable involved so comparing sport and sport+ is making people go in circles discussing the settings on sport.

If sport mode is configured as default with chassis and drivetrain, does it feel any different when switching to sport+ ?

People have weighed in with their impressions on both sides -
I have read people’s opinions that its possible better throttle response, stiffer suspension, and stiffer steering with possible more active sound….
I have read others that say, no difference other than DTC. As to say no difference in the feel of things when switching from sport to sport+

At this point, is there any concrete evidence that supports or disproves the different impressions people have gotten thus far?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #47
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
yes exhaust is louder in any sport mode.... whether is active sound or not, not sure?

you can really tell that when shifting over 3.5krpm you hear the transmission fart which is not so noticeable in comfort
Yup
Plus when lifting off throttle from high rpm, you'll hear some burps, etc. in Sport that you won't get in Comfort or Eco.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #48
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

well at least the transmission doesn't do anything when switching from sport to sport+ as long as (sport is configured to include "drivetrain")
so i would say transmission stays the same...

now throttle response, steering weight and suspension stiffness are going to be hard to objectively measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by soghetto View Post
I don’t have my car yet so can’t test anything or comment on what it feels like to me. But I read this thread and understand what people are saying. There is a variable involved so comparing sport and sport+ is making people go in circles discussing the settings on sport.

If sport mode is configured as default with chassis and drivetrain, does it feel any different when switching to sport+ ?

People have weighed in with their impressions on both sides -
I have read people’s opinions that its possible better throttle response, stiffer suspension, and stiffer steering with possible more active sound….
I have read others that say, no difference other than DTC. As to say no difference in the feel of things when switching from sport to sport+

At this point, is there any concrete evidence that supports or disproves the different impressions people have gotten thus far?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #49
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I see no reason for BMW to create different profiles for "Chassis" or "Drivetrain" in "Sport+" compared to "Sport". Most people wouldn't notice subtle differences anyway so why bother and needlessly complicate things ?. Therefore my opinion is that "Sport+" is like maxed-out "Sport" with a little extra sportiness (hence "+") in the form of disabled traction control (pompously called "dynamic traction control on").
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #50
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I see no reason for BMW to create different profiles for "Chassis" or "Drivetrain" in "Sport+" compared to "Sport". Most people wouldn't notice subtle differences anyway so why bother and needlessly complicate things ?. Therefore my opinion is that "Sport+" is like maxed-out "Sport" with a little extra sportiness (hence "+") in the form of disabled traction control (pompously called "dynamic traction control on").
I see a reason. For people like myself who can notice subtle differences all it is is code.. There's differences between comfort and Eco mode. So why can't there be a difference between sport and sport+.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #51
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

I almost always drive in comfort mode.

I have the non-adaptive M sport suspension, so dampers are always the same. The heavier steering in Sport/Sport+ does nothing for accuracy or feel, so I have no preference there. In the stop and go traffic here, I find that the more sensitive throttle in Sport mode make smooth driving a chore, so usually comfort it is unless I am anticipating doing some harder launches. In that case, I flip it to Sport+ to keep the DSC from cutting power at the slightest hint of wheel spin.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #52
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
After reading both page 112 and 113 of the owner's manual, I noticed a possibly useful nugget of information: if you turn on DTC using the "DSC OFF" button, it will disengage after you reach a 31 MPH/50 km/h.

However, if you are in Sport+, which also turns on DTC, DTC will *not* disengage at any speed. (Note, though, that if you engage cruise control, the car will automatically switch from Sport+ to Sport.)

This implies that Sport+ really is just Sport (in "Drivetrain & Chassis" mode) with "permanent" DTC. This allows you to have all the sporty aspects of Sport plus more leeway to spin or skid the tires. While it still could be true that Sport+ also has some extra sportiness in one of more aspects of the drivetrain/chassis, I think it's unlikely. I think BMW wants drivers to have the choice between "sportiest driving experience but with safety features still fully intact" and "sportiest driving experience plus willing to risk wheelspin and oversteer/understeer". The former would be for enthusiastic street driving, while the latter would be for the track (or more adventurous street driving).

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #53
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Who thinks comfort mode is a bit too comfort?
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #54
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Assumptions assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #55
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

I did some driving today on the way home and I don't really feel any difference at all between sport and sport+ regarding drivetrain or chassis....

for example...

if you configure sport to (only drivetrain)
when you go from comfort to sport, steering doesn't change at all just trans downshifts and you get sharper throttle

if you configure sport to (only chassis)
when you go from comfort to sport, steering gets heavier and transmission and throttle stays the same

as soon as you go to sport+ trans downshifts if sport configured to (only chassis) and steering gets heavier if sport configured to (only drivetrain), else if sport is (drivetrain and chassis) there is no diff but for DTC on....

Also i think shifting the gear leaver to the left and get into DS mode does exactly the same as the "drivetrain" option in sport
Only difference is that every time the lever is moved from D to DS, the car will downshift 1 gear inmediatelly, if you move back to D and back to DS will downshift another...... if you leave it for a few seconds it will go back to the previous gear it was in when it was in sport and D
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #56
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
can we use the shortcut buttons to set chassis only, drivetrain only..etc?
that would be nice
I tried but it says it cannot save that selection
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #57
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
can we use the shortcut buttons to set chassis only, drivetrain only..etc?
that would be nice
I tried but it says it cannot save that selection
Yea, doesnt work
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #58
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Just returned home yesterday from a 720 mile road trip. I used the Comfort mode almost entirely. Did about 30 miles on some twisty roads in the Sierra Mountain foothills in the Sport mode.

Other than the trip, I alternate between the Comfort mode and Sport mode frequently. When I'm by myself, it's almost entirely Sport mode.

BTW, got 34.7 MPG on the 720 mile highway trip using the Comfort mode. Most of the highway speeds were between 70 and 82 MPH, with passing bursts to 95+. I do not care for the Eco Pro mode.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #59
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Just returned home yesterday from a 720 mile road trip. I used the Comfort mode almost entirely. Did about 30 miles on some twisty roads in the Sierra Mountain foothills in the Sport mode.

Other than the trip, I alternate between the Comfort mode and Sport mode frequently. When I'm by myself, it's almost entirely Sport mode.

BTW, got 34.7 MPG on the 720 mile highway trip using the Comfort mode. Most of the highway speeds were between 70 and 82 MPH, with passing bursts to 95+. I do not care for the Eco Pro mode.
ECO PRO feels like if an elephant dropped from the sky into the trunk....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #60
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I thought the car automatically defaulted to the comfort throttle sensitivity when in "sport + " a few seconds after selecting. This was because the DSC was disabled?
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #61
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I thought the car automatically defaulted to the comfort throttle sensitivity when in "sport + " a few seconds after selecting. This was because the DSC was disabled?
From what I understand, the Sport+ mode disables all of the electronic stability features except Traction Control. In other words, it becomes a complete driver's car - the driver is entirely responsible for controlling the car.

Beyond that, I don't think anything reverts back to any of the Comfort features while in Sport+ mode. Now, my experience so far with just the Sport mode is that the suspension stays firm all of the time, the RPM's go up and stay up and the transmission shifts aggressively. Brake real hard and you'll see rapid downshifts. Or, cruise with a light foot on the throttle and the gear changes become less aggressive, but still see a higher RPM.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #62
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
played with the different modes for few days and i have to agree that bmw made this for the general public (non-enthusiast).

comfort mode - i do like the soft suspension setup for city driving/bumpy roads but the throttle and steering response is too soft. Im going 40mph and its in 8th gear WTF.

sports mode - they only made 2 customizable settings (chaisis and drivetrain), I wish they would seperate the damper and the steering setting seperately and at least have 2 additional setting for throttle and sound...now thats a true M Performance car IMO

So for my setup I have sport mode for drivetrain only...for city driving (soft dampers and tighter steering + more sound) and use sports + for my spirited driving

It is what it is, hopefully they will change this on the LCIs or as we know how Bmw do...they save these things for the True M cars. Dont get me wrong I still love the car
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #63
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post

ECO PRO feels like if an elephant dropped from the sky into the trunk....
Great description. I'd honestly rather drive a Prius than my 228 in Econ plus
      07-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #64
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G228msport View Post
I see a reason. For people like myself who can notice subtle differences all it is is code.. There's differences between comfort and Eco mode. So why can't there be a difference between sport and sport+.
Is this a real question? There is a difference and its documented in the manual. Sport+ turns off the car trying to keep itself straight in a line. You have to do that. That's it. It's legit the "okay, now you're driving without training wheels" version of Sport, so if you do a donut on the highway and kill yourself, they can say it's your fault for turning it off. If it was going to have different power train and chassis, they wouldn't give it the same name with a +.

Last edited by darkerosxx; 07-05-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #65
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

All Eco pro does is change the throttle sensitivity and add coasting, to make it possible for you to accelerate from 0 at a red light with minimal fuel usage and to coast to the next red light. It's maximal efficiency for city driving. If you're not worried about gas or you're not in the city, don't use it, as there's no point.

Myself, I use a large part of my fuel in small speed increases and Eco pro makes it much easier for me to avoid that, so I actually use it a lot.

Last edited by darkerosxx; 07-05-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #66
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
So I have put on 800 miles in just a few days. I have the 6mt. So I don't think that the Eco mode ruins it as much as it would in the auto. When I am not driving on back roads or for fun I put it in eco mode. I find it easy to just cruze lazily. On my road trip from California to Oregon. I have gotten 28 mpg per the fill-ups. Not per the gauge. My gauge shows about 27. On this trip I was going about 82mph most of the time.

I do love sport mode when I want fun. I got this car to save some gas and that's why I Eco when not trying to drive enthusiastically. My old car 1995 BMW 540 6mt could not dream of getting the gas mileage this car does.
Appreciate 0