THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How to remove front bumper?

07-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

How to remove front bumper?

Hey Guys...

Getting ready to install FMIC and would like to know if there are any instructions on how to remove front bumper...

Thanks!
JC
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
adrianv
Rep
Drives: M235

You mean in addition to what is in the instructions?

There is the BMW TIS system, that's it.

I can give you some tips:
- Unless you are a masochist, I consider removing the front wheels a requirement.
- The only 6 bolts holding the top of the bumper are hidden under the long removable rubber strip in the front of the engine bay. (The ER instructions say 4, this is wrong, and those 4 are not the right bolts)
- Remove both front wheel well fenders before removing the top bumper bolts
- you can use one bolt loosely installed in the top bumper hole to keep the bumper in place but loose as you are moving it around to detach stuff so that it doesn't fall on you.
- DO NOT lose the black plastic spacers between the front bumper and the front quarter panels. They tend to rocket off and disappear as soon as you pull the bumper cover off. You need them when you reinstall to maintain uniform panel gap spacing to the front quarter panel.
- I think the best way to remove the headlight washer covers is to get your hand in behind them and push them out a half inch, then grab with your fingers to pull it out. Personally, I think trying to pry them out with anything from the outside is stupid. Once you get the washers extended, you can hold the shaft with one hand and wiggle the tip off with the other.
- the shaft itself has two little tabs you pull and slide rearward from the bumper cover.
- The most force you will ever use is removing the electrical connector on the passenger side. If you find yourself using more force then that anywere else, you are doing something wrong. Stop and figure out what before you break something. Once everything is unbolted, everything detatches and comes off with gentle wiggling.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianv View Post
You mean in addition to what is in the instructions?

There is the BMW TIS system, that's it.

I can give you some tips:
- Unless you are a masochist, I consider removing the front wheels a requirement.
- The only 6 bolts holding the top of the bumper are hidden under the long removable rubber strip in the front of the engine bay. (The ER instructions say 4, this is wrong, and those 4 are not the right bolts)
- Remove both front wheel well fenders before removing the top bumper bolts
- you can use one bolt loosely installed in the top bumper hole to keep the bumper in place but loose as you are moving it around to detach stuff so that it doesn't fall on you.
- DO NOT lose the black plastic spacers between the front bumper and the front quarter panels. They tend to rocket off and disappear as soon as you pull the bumper cover off. You need them when you reinstall to maintain uniform panel gap spacing to the front quarter panel.
- I think the best way to remove the headlight washer covers is to get your hand in behind them and push them out a half inch, then grab with your fingers to pull it out. Personally, I think trying to pry them out with anything from the outside is stupid. Once you get the washers extended, you can hold the shaft with one hand and wiggle the tip off with the other.
- the shaft itself has two little tabs you pull and slide rearward from the bumper cover.
- The most force you will ever use is removing the electrical connector on the passenger side. If you find yourself using more force then that anywere else, you are doing something wrong. Stop and figure out what before you break something. Once everything is unbolted, everything detatches and comes off with gentle wiggling.
Thanks a lot Adrianv! I loled at the masochist part...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Pretty old topic, but in few weeks I'll be installing front lip without drilled holes in it, so was searching on internet and found this video.
It's F30, but It's all the same.. (hopefully :-D)
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00