THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Swirl marks on brand new m240i w/ PCD

01-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Swirl marks on brand new m240i w/ PCD

Okay... I debated posting this, but it's a bitter cold Saturday and everyone in the house is sick with a cold, so why not?

I just purchased a m240i with Performance Center Delivery. I am thrilled about the car overall, but I still am having a difficult time letting something go. I have yet to raise this concern with the BMW Center the vehicle was purchased through. Wanted to get some thoughts and opinions first.

Upon ordering the car, I made a special request to PLEASE skip any cleaning, detailing, etc. and to even leave the plastic wrap on the car, if possible. The response I received was along the lines of, "Unfortunately, we can't accommodate that request because inspection of the paint is part of the quality control process. There won't be any dealership detailing and the only people handling the car are the people at the port... all my years doing this we haven't had a single complaint thus far."

Fair enough.

So I get to the car in the showroom floor after much anticipation and it looks good upon first sight. However, after the BMW Associate left the room briefly, I began to give it a finer inspection to make sure nothing was apparently wrong with it.

Then I saw them... fine cob web looking swirl marks all over the top of the rear bumper cover! Oh no! There was also wax residue here and there, so it was apparent they let a "professional" detail it so it looked "good" for me.

I kept calm, as I didn't want to be "that guy" and make a stink over it since my Associate and everyone else there was doing everything they could to make sure I was having a pleasant experience. I was also dead dog tired and had so much time and energy invested that I didn't want to disappoint myself by not taking it home!

I got the car home and upon further inspection in my garage, it also has swirl marks all over the front bumper and here and there throughout.

What would you do in this situation, assuming you have a detailed eye such as myself and a hard time letting stuff like this go? This car is the "ultimate" reward to myself after having a decent run in IT/networking sales and currently transitioning to a new chapter in my life. I dreamed of caring for the paint over the next 20 years like the "ultimate driving machine" should be cared for. After all, this was to be my fair weather weekend cruiser, occasional DE car, and maybe one day concours car. Should I settle? Is there anything that can be done at this point anyhow?

Thanks for your thoughts!
      01-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Okay... I debated posting this, but it's a bitter cold Saturday and everyone in the house is sick with a cold, so why not?

I just purchased a m240i with Performance Center Delivery. I am thrilled about the car overall, but I still am having a difficult time letting something go. I have yet to raise this concern with the BMW Center the vehicle was purchased through. Wanted to get some thoughts and opinions first.

Upon ordering the car, I made a special request to PLEASE skip any cleaning, detailing, etc. and to even leave the plastic wrap on the car, if possible. The response I received was along the lines of, "Unfortunately, we can't accommodate that request because inspection of the paint is part of the quality control process. There won't be any dealership detailing and the only people handling the car are the people at the port... all my years doing this we haven't had a single complaint thus far."

Fair enough.

So I get to the car in the showroom floor after much anticipation and it looks good upon first sight. However, after the BMW Associate left the room briefly, I began to give it a finer inspection to make sure nothing was apparently wrong with it.

Then I saw them... fine cob web looking swirl marks all over the top of the rear bumper cover! Oh no! There was also wax residue here and there, so it was apparent they let a "professional" detail it so it looked "good" for me.

I kept calm, as I didn't want to be "that guy" and make a stink over it since my Associate and everyone else there was doing everything they could to make sure I was having a pleasant experience. I was also dead dog tired and had so much time and energy invested that I didn't want to disappoint myself by not taking it home!

I got the car home and upon further inspection in my garage, it also has swirl marks all over the front bumper and here and there throughout.

What would you do in this situation, assuming you have a detailed eye such as myself and a hard time letting stuff like this go? This car is the "ultimate" reward to myself after having a decent run in IT/networking sales and currently transitioning to a new chapter in my life. I dreamed of caring for the paint over the next 20 years like the "ultimate driving machine" should be cared for. After all, this was to be my fair weather weekend cruiser, occasional DE car, and maybe one day concours car. Should I settle? Is there anything that can be done at this point anyhow?

I would probably just let it go and get to work on your own. Just enjoy the new car! Congrats by the way.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1780.50
      01-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

You could push the issue with them, but from my experience, there are few detailers that have as good an eye for detail as you would with your own car. I don't even like it when they wash my car after a service.

If you own a buffer, I would suggest clay barring, and removing the swirl marks yourself. Then re-wax and drive it like you stole it. After the break-in mileage, of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

To me a lot depends on how much effort you need to make to see the swirls - if you need certain lighting conditions and a certain angle to see the imperfections I would not be upset.
You can write a letter to the appropriate BMW people and let them know that the pre-delivery prep isn't up to your standards.

I swear German car paint is difficult to keep swirl free.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I'm sure you thought of this already, but if you are going to complain, now is definitely the time. And once they realize how closely you are looking at it and how disappointed you are, they'll have no choice other than to put their best detailer on it or possibly even outsource it to a professional detailer.

On the other hand, like someone else said, unless you get a really conscientious detailer, no one will treat it like you would. If it were me, I wouldn't trust them any more, and I would get my own dual action polisher and take care of it myself, carefully.
      01-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
...I kept calm, as I didn't want to be "that guy" and make a stink over it since my Associate and everyone else there was doing everything they could to make sure I was having a pleasant experience...

What would you do in this situation, assuming you have a detailed eye such as myself and a hard time letting stuff like this go? ...

I guess I was "that guy" recently. When they rolled out my wife's new Mini Countryman (BMW corporate - shared platform with X1), it also had swirl marks and some evidence of poor buffing. I remained quite calm, pointed to several areas, and asked that they please take care of it. They brought out the New Car Prep Manager (yes, they have that!), he agreed about the appearance, and rolled in back inside. Not that long later, it came out like a mirror, and they had eliminated all the defects and gone over it with a coat of wax to boot, to make up for the "inconvenience" Felt like glass.

At this point, they may or may not accept responsiblity, as the car has been out of their control. If they will goodwill it for you, and make you feel comfortable a highly skilled person will do the work, let them go over it again. If you are uncomfortable, bite the bullet, and DIY or find an excellent detailer elsewhere. For that long ownership intention, you probably want to OptiCoat or CQuartz (or similar) it anyway.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
You've got a great new BMW. The enjoyment is in the driving, not the looking. Let it go and enjoy your new purchase. If you need it detailed to perfection, only you will be able to produce the result you can live with. Our 2 Series will never be collectible, no matter how perfect we make them. I just spent a couple hundred getting mine detailed by a very good local detailer and it looked awesome. That said, it's a DD and with rain and snow and salt, the detail job of a month ago is long forgotten now, but the daily driving is always a pleasure and I wouldn't trade a minute behind the wheel for a perfect looking car. Not to mention if you park it in a lot, any lot even away from all other cars, it's not going to be perfect for long. Enjoy your new car.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I own a detailing business. I see it all the time with new cars which is why my dealer never touched my X3 or 228ix. Believe it or not Ferrari is notorious for delivering their costly cars with swirls and holograms. These imperfections can be removed easily with a good orbital polisher and some good polish. Clay bar it first then polish, put on a synthetic final coating which is better than wax in terms of shine and durability. If you cant purchase professional polish or final coating buy some Meguiar's at a local auto supply store.It is the best over the counter product. Or take it to a good detailer. I just detailed a new $242K Porsche GT3RS with similar issues and charged $250. Don't stress over it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Sorry to hear BUT if its only swirls and not cut thru the clear coat , it can be fixed.

If you don't trust yourself or are inexperienced and don't trust the dealer, find a detail shop with a top reputation and they will make it right.

Just remember, zero swirls marks is hard to retain especially tough on black and red, too.

Good luck. I feel your pain--that's why I bought an orbital buffer ( if buying one, by a FLEX) and learned how to use it properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

I know your pain OP but you should never trust a dealer PCD or not to detail your brand new car. As others have mentioned you'll need at least a single step paint correction to restore the finish. You can attempt it yourself or find a local shop that can do it for you. Personally, I would learn and do it yourself that way you can take care of anything else down the road and bond with your new 240.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Same thing happened to me when we purchased a 2017 Audi Q5 about a year ago. I ended up having the dealer try and correct it twice, but still found swirls afterward. Granted it’s a black car, but in my opinion it should look new when you are paying for a new car. I ended up finishing the job myself, but I was pissed off the whole time I was working on it, so I know how you feel.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post! It was most definitely helpful to get some additional perspective.

It's not nearly bad enough for me to justify a paint correction at this time. If that's all the dealership can do anyhow, then I'd rather not subject the car to any further dealership torture and I can live with it. Haha.

It does require some effort to notice the swirls as far as angle and lighting. Hard to even call them swirls, really. More like super fine and light lines/cobwebs since they aren't in a circular pattern. I think 99.9% of people would probably not be able to see them even when standing right up against it, and compared to cars I've seen on dealer lots, it still looks fabulous.

As mentioned already, black and red paint are the worst for showing swirls. I knew this going into the purchase, and given my experiences with dealerships in the past, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised one bit. It also sounds like a "perfect finish" is only achievable with a proper OCD-level paint correction and detailing, which I honestly don't have the time or care to do since that will only lead to more worry about ruining the perfect finish.

What I really want to do now is get my M Performance kit installed and go sign up for my next HPDE event. Thanks again for the sanity check y'all!
      01-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
35mmSummicron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30

Congrats on the m240i! LOVE that Melbourne Red!

I'm pretty OCD on detailing. If you search across this forum you'll notice you're not alone in wanting swirl-free finishes. I explicitly tell my service dept. to skip cleaning my car on any service.

So, if I were in your position, I would just let it go and give the new car my own OCD detailing (big fan of ONR waterless wash, 1Z Cockpit Premium, Sonax Wheel cleaner and PNS and Zaino for the leather).

*but* if you explicitly requested to leave the wrap on delivery for swirl-free paint, I think you have a right to request the dealer to take care of it.

Personally I kinda like spending the time detailing my new cars--it provides the opportunity for me to get my car detailed to the level of my OCD standards, plus you learn all the intimate details/curves of your new baby....

PS: I use a PorterCable 7424XP with Meguire's 105. Lakecountry pads. Light swirls don't stand a chance!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
Same thing happened to me when we purchased a 2017 Audi Q5 about a year ago. I ended up having the dealer try and correct it twice, but still found swirls afterward. Granted it’s a black car, but in my opinion it should look new when you are paying for a new car. I ended up finishing the job myself, but I was pissed off the whole time I was working on it, so I know how you feel.
Never let the dealer try to correct it. Their detailers suck, In fact, they keep me in business with the shitty work they do. I have sen them detail vehicles with dirty buffer pads, wash wheels then use the same rag to wash the car. Do it yourself or get a reputable shop to do it. You are paying big bucks for your vehicle and trusting the gorillas at the dealer to do it right. Forget it.
Appreciate 3
      01-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Try going on my suppliers web site www.detailedimage.com. I use them in my business and their top detailers prep cars being auctioned at Barrett-Jackson and Mecum. They feature all of their detailing products, videos on how to use them and feedback from their pros on existing and new products and public comments on how they like them. A wealth of knowledge and they remove the fear people have of doing it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Never let the dealer try to correct it. Their detailers suck, In fact, they keep me in business with the shitty work they do. I have sen them detail vehicles with dirty buffer pads, wash wheels then use the same rag to wash the car. Do it yourself or get a reputable shop to do it. You are paying big bucks for your vehicle and trusting the gorillas at the dealer to do it right. Forget it.
Learned that the hard way!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I've taken delivery many many times at PCD and can honestly say their delivery and quality process far exceeds any dealership in my area (Detroit). That being said I anticipate swirls and accept them because no one will take care of your car the way you do, plain and simple. Last time I was there (nov) they said they had new details. My advice would be to let them know, not as a complaint rather as an opportunity for improvement. They may compensate you. Also, invest in a D.A. polisher and learn how to detail a car yourself. Therefore, you will Be detail obsessed and know how to correct low-medium issues on your own to satisfaction. Lastly, enjoy driving that beauty!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #18
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
Learned that the hard way!
Me too, that is why they never touch my vehicles. Don't stress those swirls will come off easily with a buffer and good polish.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
It's not nearly bad enough for me to justify a paint correction at this time.

As mentioned already, black and red paint are the worst for showing swirls.
1) I'm new to Ohio, and while searching for high-end detailers, I recently came across Esoteric Detail outside Columbus: https://www.esotericdetail.com/. Even if you don't use them, they have some good info on their site.

2) I switched from black cars to white a number of years ago after throwing in the towel on how much effort it took to keep a black car looking good each and every day. And that was in a part of California where it didn't rain for a minimum of six months every year.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I'd reach out to the Sales Mgr and see what he or she would be willing to do, for you. Being patient already, since you accepted it, you can explain in detail why you took the car the way it was, but that you now feel that the experience is weighing negatively, on you. You'd be surprised what someone would be willing to do if you can reach our to their "noble" side.

Good news is you are not "that guy" and can give them an opportunity to come to bat, for you.
      01-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #21
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

I've got no further advice for the OP than has already been given. But I do have a story about "scratches and swirls".

A few years back, I reluctantly took my BMW to a car wash. I was worried that it'd leave all kinds of scratches and swirls. It was a cold winter morning, and as I waited for my car, a Maserati came off the conveyer, and was being dried by the towel guys. Since there was only one other guy standing there with me, I remarked, "Man, you're brave to bring a Maserati to a car wash". With that he started laughing, and says, "Yeah, my wife thinks I'm an idiot". Naturally I asked why. He says, "Because last winter I brought my Rolls Royce here and apparently the guy charged with opening in the morning forgot to do the "first day", warm water run. They ran my car through, the brushes were still frozen from the night before, and when my car came out, the paint was scoured clean".

Holy sheet!

They bought him a new Rolls.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #22
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

It's only a car. When I drive it, I'm mostly on the inside and can't see much of the outside at all. I'm mostly going fast enough that no one can tell if there's a little dirt on it or a car wash has left a mark. And if they can, I can still likely suck their doors off and that doesn't look good on any car.

But hey, if you want to pamper it, that's fine, too.
Appreciate 0