THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trunk Dimensions...help?

01-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Trunk Dimensions...help?

Hi folks,

We will be picking up our M240i on ED in a few months and will be spending almost three weeks touring parts of Europe. As such, we need to maximize how much luggage we bring. I am thinking of picking up some large travel duffel bags instead of our usual suitcases.

In order to decide on the right bags, I am wondering if someone can measure their trunk for me. I have looked all over the place online and only see volume, not dimensions.

I'd like to know opening dimensions, width at wheel wells, depth with the back seats up, and depth with them down as well as height between rear deck and floor when seats are down to figure out what height I can slide through.

Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Measurements are only a rough guide boot mouth width bottom 700mm max width near top 1030mm
width between wheel arches 950mm
depth with seat up bottom 910mm top about 720mm (lied on my back in the boot approx.)
depth seat down 1550mm
height when seat down floor to deck 670mm
Like I said above rough only best I could do.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Remember the entire rear seat area isn't open with the seat down, there is only a pass through. With the seat down there is a substantial storage area but you don't want to leave things here and unattended. We travel lots with ours and there is lots of room for 2 med sized suitcases side by side so soft bags should be no problem. The most important thing is to learn to take only the essentials! You don't need your whole closet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
How about asking your dealer if you can drop in and try out one of their used M235i/M240i to see how your intended luggage fits?

Ours is a convertible and acquisition coincided with getting some much-needed new luggage. We didn't consciously try to get the new stuff to fit, but fortuitously, our 2x medium and 1x small hard cases are fine with room to spare. And that's with the storage area for the fabric top in use as well. But their dimensions are pretty optimal - a small change in dimensions and they wouldn't fit so neatly.

If you prefer hard luggage the trial at a dealer would allow you to see if your existing stuff or a mix would work.

As a guide, and coincidentally, the three hard cases held enough for an anniversary trip to Canada: 12 days Vancouver, Victoria, Rocky Mountaineer and a drive from Jasper via Lake Louise to Banff and then Calgary. And clothing to cater for +32°C on Vancouver Island to -4° and snow in the Rockies.

Last edited by msej449; 01-06-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep

Luggage with wheels is inefficient, the structure takes up a lot of space. If you can do without, it will help. If you are staying in B&B you will not use the wheels much anyway. Fancy hotels have porters.

Another point, when you go somewhere, like a beach or a museum, don't put your valuables in the trunk and walk away. It's an invitation to thieves who may notice. They know where you are and where your valuables are. Instead, plan ahead and put your valuables in the trunk then drive there, not opening the trunk when you get there. This will take some practice but it is a good lifetime habit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I know you asked for dimensions, but here is a picture of my trunk from our 14 day European delivery. Two medium backpacks and one large rolling suitcase for two people. We did do a laundry stop on day 9 of the trip.

01-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
Measurements are only a rough guide boot mouth width bottom 700mm max width near top 1030mm
width between wheel arches 950mm
depth with seat up bottom 910mm top about 720mm (lied on my back in the boot approx.)
depth seat down 1550mm
height when seat down floor to deck 670mm
Like I said above rough only best I could do.
Thanks for those numbers, that helps a lot!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames View Post
Remember the entire rear seat area isn't open with the seat down, there is only a pass through. With the seat down there is a substantial storage area but you don't want to leave things here and unattended. We travel lots with ours and there is lots of room for 2 med sized suitcases side by side so soft bags should be no problem. The most important thing is to learn to take only the essentials! You don't need your whole closet.
Sorry, not sure what you mean here. I would normally expect a pass through to be just at the arm rest. You indicated First the seat back doesn't go all the way down but then alluded to it doing so. It's not convenient for me to get into a dealer to check this out but can you elaborate on how the rear seat does/does not go down?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
How about asking your dealer if you can drop in and try out one of their used M235i/M240i to see how your intended luggage fits?

Ours is a convertible and acquisition coincided with getting some much-needed new luggage. We didn't consciously try to get the new stuff to fit, but fortuitously, our 2x medium and 1x small hard cases are fine with room to spare. And that's with the storage area for the fabric top in use as well. But their dimensions are pretty optimal - a small change in dimensions and they wouldn't fit so neatly.

If you prefer hard luggage the trial at a dealer would allow you to see if your existing stuff or a mix would work.

As a guide, and coincidentally, the three hard cases held enough for an anniversary trip to Canada: 12 days Vancouver, Victoria, Rocky Mountaineer and a drive from Jasper via Lake Louise to Banff and then Calgary. And clothing to cater for +32°C on Vancouver Island to -4° and snow in the Rockies.
Truth be told, part of this questioning is to try to show my wife that she MUST trim down her travel kit. We just came back from a 10 day trip and she needed more than one large suitcase (according to her). I am trying to maximize the space for her hair gear while convincing her we are not going to meet the queen (though I did meet Charles this past April!) so she can stand to have a hair out of place on occasion.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerDad View Post
I know you asked for dimensions, but here is a picture of my trunk from our 14 day European delivery. Two medium backpacks and one large rolling suitcase for two people. We did do a laundry stop on day 9 of the trip.

That pic helps a lot. Is that with the seat up or down? Would you mind telling me the suitcase dimensions? That pic gave me an idea.

Thanks a ton!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep

That picture is with the seats up. The suitcase measures 26" x 17.5" x 12".
      01-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Sorry, not sure what you mean here. I would normally expect a pass through to be just at the arm rest. You indicated First the seat back doesn't go all the way down but then alluded to it doing so. It's not convenient for me to get into a dealer to check this out but can you elaborate on how the rear seat does/does not go down?

Thx
My 2016 lays down almost completely flat and can be released from the trunk by a handle on the left side near the opening. The seat back does sit on the lower cushion but not really an issue. One you place some items there it compresses a bit. You will have to remove the wind deflector to lower the seat and then reinstall it.
The pass through itself represents about 1/3 of the full width along the seat back. I came from Audi were the opening in almost the A5's is the entire width so this looks restrictive to me. Somehow Audi has maintained rigidity without using this divider to accomplish it. Not being wider restricts pushing a suitcase all the through into the back seat area. Other than for something quite long it isn't very useful.
That being said, the trunk is quite adequate. We place two sets of golf clubs in it, one through the pass through and one horizontally across the back. This allow space for soft bags on each side of the bag going through the opening and also in the back seat. As one poster has shown, 2 reasonable sized bags can fit side by side into the are with space left on either side near the trunk opening as it gets considerably wider at the back reaching almost full width of the car.
When loading, it is much easier if you have the top up and the plastic roof guard in the up position. This greatly facilitates insertion and extraction of items.
Its a very good suggestion to visit a dealership and examine one with tape measure in hand or bring in some suitcases. It is quite surprising what you can get in.

Enjoy and don't sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
It is apparently inconvenient for OP to get to a dealer, but that is the best solution and I have done it for ED myself. Measurements are fine but they don't tell you how your particular set of bags will fit.
And yes, duffels with no structure are always best for tight spaces.
Also, it is not clear if OP has ordered a coupe or cabriolet. Huge difference between them in storage space.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
.................................................. ........................................ Huge difference between them in storage space.
Actually not that much.
The Coupe has a 13.8 cu-ft of space, the ragtop has 11.8 cu-ft with the top up and 9.9 cu-ft with the top down.

Last edited by bimmerfile; 01-07-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That picture is with the seats up. The suitcase measures 26" x 17.5" x 12".
A little hard to tell...was there any room in front of the suitcase? Do you think I could get a 28 or even 30 inches there in its place?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
It is apparently inconvenient for OP to get to a dealer, but that is the best solution and I have done it for ED myself. Measurements are fine but they don't tell you how your particular set of bags will fit.
And yes, duffels with no structure are always best for tight spaces.
Also, it is not clear if OP has ordered a coupe or cabriolet. Huge difference between them in storage space.
I do plan to get into my dealer in a month or two but just wanted to get a head start so I can look for sales on the right bags sooner.

Should have mentioned, it is a coupe. I've done the cab thing with my Z4M but was never allowed to track days with BMW clubs so decided to go coupe this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #17
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
A little hard to tell...was there any room in front of the suitcase? Do you think I could get a 28 or even 30 inches there in its place?

Thanks again!
There was a little. A 28" may fit. It will definitely fit lengthwise with the room to spare. I put it in that way to make it easier to remove it.
      01-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There was a little. A 28" may fit. It will definitely fit lengthwise with the room to spare. I put it in that way to make it easier to remove it.
Thanks. I think I have my plan...

I'm going to try and find a 28" with removable wheels, a 28" duffel beside it, and a larger duffel that will go across the back seat so I don't even have to put the seat down if I don't want to (but cover with a blanket).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Can I also suggest that you bring along (or order for delivery) one of those small LED rechargeable torches that charge from a 12V car socket? BMW do one (part no 82 12 9 406 650) but there are plenty to chose from on Amazon. The 2 Series boot is not particularly well-lit and this could be useful for finding stuff when the luggage obscures the lights. And handy anyway.

Parking in many European locations requires a parking time card to be displayed in the window: it's just a disc with the hours on it and you turn the disc to show your approximate arrival time. I imagine ED will include this but worth asking.

Some countries also require you carry a spare bulb set. For my M235i this was a hefty £80 ($109!) so again, worth checking if this comes with ED. If not, it would be a useful item to order for delivery with the car.

Austria and Switzerland require you display a Vignette to use the main highways. Although you can get them at the borders, you might like to get them in advance, so that you've not got a problem if the border is unmanned or it's late at night etc. Both countries highway police are very hot on stopping people without them. Also be aware that the Swiss fine excessive speeding in proportion to your income - hence the Swiss record of the highest speeding ticket of close to $300,000 for a rich Ferrari owner (don't let this put you off, this guy was doing 85mph in an 35mph zone in a small village. Just be aware.).

2 Series like to be refilled with BMW windscreen washer concentrate and BMW strongly recommends against mixing BMW and non-BMW. This is another item that would be useful to have in the car when you pick it up.

Last edited by msej449; 01-08-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

On our 3 week 2016 M240i ED we easily fit 2 suitcases one size larger than carry-on as well as a backpack in the trunk with plenty of additional room. One of the suitcases went over half empty so we'd have room for items we wanted to buy.

Slightly off topic but our experience in 2 long (a 3 and a 5 week) ED's as well as the experience of anyone who travels a lot is that you do not need much luggage, and you will regret packing too much more than you will regret forgetting something and buying it there..... My wife was able to go 5 weeks with only a suitcase just 1 size larger than a carry-on. I went 5 weeks with a carry-on and backpack. If you apply discipline you will really appreciate being able to carry everything you bring in one trip.....There are many places to get laundry done and just as many stores to buy things as here!

Rick Steves has a 'Europe Through the Backdoor' book with excellent tips for how to pack light.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
TheBobmanNH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Looking to buy a 2 in the coming weeks / months and my wife's only concern is the trunk space (going from my hatchback now), so I hear you OP.

Totally agree with mecodoug via Rick Steves -- we did two weeks in Europe with only backpack-sized (very large backpacks, don't get me wrong) bags and were so much happier. Every time we saw tourists dragging wheels luggage down cobblestone streets we were appreciative of that advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep

We often travel with one or two overnight bags that go in and out of hotels plus supplementary stuff that stays in the car.
Appreciate 0