THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does anyone use run-flats?

01-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
reprice
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Does anyone use run-flats?

I just got a used 228i with Michelin Pilot SS tires that are NOT run-flats. Do most of you run non run-flat tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
GregoryG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT - EB II

Non run flat summer Michelin PSS and winter run flat Pirelli Sottozero 3. I figure without having a spare tire I'd much rather have to deal with the inflator kit in the warm rather than the cold.
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      01-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprice View Post
I just got a used 228i with Michelin Pilot SS tires that are NOT run-flats. Do most of you run non run-flat tires?
Since the car comes with run flats,it stands to reason that most owners are running run flats at least until the tires need to be replaced. When I replace the tires,I will probably replace with softer R/F tires. However,I am not a typical BMW owner. No mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

In Canada, only a couple of the wheel/tyre options are with runflats, it is common for cars to be delivered without runflat tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I have A/W run flats and from what I have read on this fourm they are not the popular choice. So if I change to non run flats when I need them what are the advantages. Handling, more tire/size choices. If I get a AW non run flat how does that effect handling. How does the inflator kit work. So far the run flats have been fine. I don't track or drive the car that aggressively so should I even bother changing
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I have A/W run flats and from what I have read on this fourm they are not the popular choice. So if I change to non run flats when I need them what are the advantages. Handling, more tire/size choices. If I get a AW non run flat how does that effect handling. How does the inflator kit work. So far the run flats have been fine. I don't track or drive the car that aggressively so should I even bother changing
In general, non run flats are cheaper, softer ride, better cornering, lighter, and any mechanic can fix or replace a flat. Run flats require special tire equipment that most tire dealers have but few generic garages do. Often they can not be repaired and you are then faced with replacing at least 2 tires, if not 4 if you have X drive.

If you do little long distance driving, then run-flats will get you home or to a tire store after pressure loss (assuming the tire is not sliced nor the rim bent). Non-run flats will require a spare or tow or pump & goo. Most folks in urban areas who get non run flats assume they will use a AAA tow if they get a flat. I do a lot of long distance rural driving in the west and carry a spare.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      01-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

My M240i has non run flats. I'm not sure I like that. The 135is and my 335 had run flats. The 335 delaminated a tire somewhere in Ohio and got me to a town with a tire dealer, so I count that as a win.

The nons are definitely softer. I don't think I can tell the cornering difference, if there is any, and I suspect that's more a matter of tread and compound than RF vs nonRF

I was talking with my trained master tech (also my son) at a New Years supper tonight and I think I might move away from the ultra performance tire and go to a performance rated tire that won't break down crying when it sees rain. We'll see, I'll drive the perf tires a while, come Spring, and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
RF's offer a bit of "peace of mind" but not much more. My m235i came with summer performance tires and I purchased winter wheels and tires for this time of year - so no RF's. That said, my previous 2011 MINI Cooper S came with RF's which lasted about 45K miles. They may have provided "peace of mind" but they were miserable for driving especially on 18" wheels. I'm certain they dislodged at least 4 or 5 fillings, especially during winter driving. When it came time to replace them, I went with a quality all season non-RF tire and never looked back. Maybe I'm just very lucky, but in nearly 40 years of driving both local and long trips, I have only had one blow-out flat tire requiring a change on the road to a spare, a situation where RF's might have been helpful. Those odds don't make tolerating RF's on a daily basis worth it for me.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

I have had good luck on run flats during previous ownership with vetts and most recent Ford 5.0 GT Mustang. However I have a couple of long drives planed in 2018 for the new m240i and this time I would like some additional piece of mind.

My Service Manager at the local BMW dealership recommended this:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...2M235-KIT.html

Anyone have any experience / comments on this product?
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      01-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Since the car comes with run flats
The car does not necessarily come with run flats. It only comes with run flats if you order it with the all-season run flats. I'd bet more people order with summer (non-run flat) tires.

I have MPSS's for the summer and Alpins for the winter. Both sets are not run flat.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
BMW must know who orders the car without runflats.
I suspect, though, that only a minuscule percentage of buyers do, all enthusiasts.
I have non-runflat winter tires, but on 17" wheels. I carry a kit in winter, which I have thankfully never had to use.
My 18" wheels go through tires like they were going out of style. The wheels, which seem to be made of butter, don't do much better. Luckily, I have tire and wheel insurance
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
There is great controversy over the efficacy of Runflats, as you may have picked up on. I first had them on my previous 330d xDrive Touring and was happy to have them on my M235i Convertible. They've proved useful when a tyre deflated on the motor(free)way and I got off OK, got home and to the dealer the next day for a replacement. I also opted for Runflat winters (17" Pirelli S3) which I'm also very happy with. And that's on a 322 BHP RWD 'vert.

I think it's really hard to evaluate the difference people report when they change one brand of Runflat for another brand of Non-Runflat, and say the new tyre is better. This may well be true, but how much is down to 'runflatness' and how much is just due to a different, better tyre design is impossible to know.
      01-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

I bought Bridgestone Drive Guard RF A/S to replace the Pirelli Cinturato P7s that came on the 18" wheel package I optioned. The Pirelli's lasted about 25K but I didn't rotate them as I should have. They were a good overall tire but I'm not into spending money on tires -- these DriveGuards have a rating of 50K if you rotate every 5K - they are quieter than the Pirellis and handle well -- I got a set for $950. I like a good overall tire as I don't really need a set of winter tires in Portland. We don't get enough snow but I'm too cheap to buy summer/winter sets.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i had the run flats for winter only tires on oem wheels.
I put them on last winter, and after a few days had a massive bubble it the sidewall of both front tires. This, plus the performance loss while using runflats made me move the oem wheels to dws06 all seasons. I really like the tires for all seasons, very predictable and you can break traction pretty easy even on a xdrive. Softer drive once replaced.

Look into tiredirect and tire rack for prices, than google search for best prices delivered to a shop near you. You can always keep the run flats as spares, or some places trade in, or sell in classifieds. I sold mine for $50 a tire.

I had a set of mpss, nitto 05s, and the oem run flat perellis on these wheels and I liked the Conti's overall better.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN240i13 View Post
I have had good luck on run flats during previous ownership with vetts and most recent Ford 5.0 GT Mustang. However I have a couple of long drives planed in 2018 for the new m240i and this time I would like some additional piece of mind.

My Service Manager at the local BMW dealership recommended this:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...2M235-KIT.html

Anyone have any experience / comments on this product?
$335.00 is outrageous for a temporary spare, then add in the tray for $150 and your around $500. Typical BMW rip off for accessories. I'll take my chances. I had a flat in my X3 with run flats, got it plugged, drove home and got another tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Mine came w/ the Conti runflat summer performance tires - they aren't awful for grip, but they are worn out at 18k (some alignment issues with this too, but I see many postings about them cupping out under 25k, and you can't rotate the performance staggered setup). I'm switching to non-RFT for next summer - from what I can gather, only about a 30-50% chance that whatever takes out the runflat will leave it drivable, so not really that much extra insurance. Also non-RFT are easier to replace in an emergency (tons of stories of some small town garage not having the right tire, or having to wait for delivery - probably will also be the case w/ the MPSS though).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Running a "square" set of run-flats.

Originally had planned to order summer perf, but sales manager mentioned getting all seasons as they last much longer, so I did (figuring that was the only difference).

I did not realize at the time, they were not staggered and the top speed was governed down from 155 MPH. Initially I was pissed, but after owning am very happy w/ my choice.

Peace of mine - Should I get a flat, I can get to a service station. Having a serious back problem, running a "spare" or even messing w/ a inflation kit would be a problem. Last thing I want is to be stranded at night on Alligator Alley waiting for a tow truck.

Appearance -The staggered look is indistinguishable to look at the car. If you got on your hands and knees w/ a tape measure, you'd then be able to tell which car had staggered or square set ups.

Performance - Having the top speed reduced to 130MPH is hardly an issue as I rarely need to go over 129MPH.

I do not track nor run my can on the "bleeding edge". So I do not need the extra lateral grip of performance tires. If I did, I'd dump the OEM wheels and get the lightest race wheels and tires I could find.

Durability - Finally, the all seasons do wear much better than the summer performance tires. Running a "square" set, I can rotate if I choose to. Additionally, for the three or four years I plan to keep the car I won't need to replace the tires (as I am not high mileage driver anyway). Additionally, I do not find the RF ride to be at all punishing.

Of course, my choice and justification isn't for everyone.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #18
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Running a "square" set of run-flats.

Originally had planned to order summer perf, but sales manager mentioned getting all seasons as they last much longer, so I did (figuring that was the only difference).

I did not realize at the time, they were not staggered and the top speed was governed down from 155 MPH. Initially I was pissed, but after owning am very happy w/ my choice.

Peace of mine - Should I get a flat, I can get to a service station. Having a serious back problem, running a "spare" or even messing w/ a inflation kit would be a problem. Last thing I want is to be stranded at night on Alligator Alley waiting for a tow truck.

Appearance -The staggered look is indistinguishable to look at the car. If you got on your hands and knees w/ a tape measure, you'd then be able to tell which car had staggered or square set ups.

Performance - Having the top speed reduced to 130MPH is hardly an issue as I rarely need to go over 129MPH.

I do not track nor run my can on the "bleeding edge". So I do not need the extra lateral grip of performance tires. If I did, I'd dump the OEM wheels and get the lightest race wheels and tires I could find.

Durability - Finally, the all seasons do wear much better than the summer performance tires. Running a "square" set, I can rotate if I choose to. Additionally, for the three or four years I plan to keep the car I won't need to replace the tires (as I am not high mileage driver anyway). Additionally, I do not find the RF ride to be at all punishing.

Of course, my choice and justification isn't for everyone.
I agree with you and your analysis makes sense for my style of driving. Thanks to all for the very informative points regarding this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #19
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

I run non-flat performance summer and winter tires and use the donut spare. I paid a lot for it and the jack kit but have used it in both E90s and now the F22 so I've had it for 10 years and had to use it two times, so for me it was money well spent.

I did put all season RFT on the 335d when my wife took it over, and she had one flat earlier this year and drove home. They work well for her - she has a highway commute and would not change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #20
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
$335.00 is outrageous for a temporary spare, then add in the tray for $150 and your around $500. Typical BMW rip off for accessories. I'll take my chances. I had a flat in my X3 with run flats, got it plugged, drove home and got another tire.

I agree, $500 is VERY pricey, however similar to USA-RET’s message I also have a physical issues that would prevent me from using a spare tire. The idea was to purchase the spare specifically for the long road trip on US 66 later this year with some friends (primarily Vette owners) and if I ran into trouble one of them could help since parts of US 66 are lacking adequate service stations.

I think there will be another or perhaps two M2XXi in the group, so maybe a group purchase is an option?
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprice View Post
(Y'all know I gotta do this.)

OP, welcome to the forum. Before posting your query, it would have been advisable to search for answers in this subforum called Wheels and Tires. That subforum has multiple long threads regarding your question, including answers and feedback from me (I have a 228i M Sport that I swapped out OEM RFTs for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires).

Please use the forum effectively. It is a community resource first, not a chat room or customer service center.

Thank you, and again: welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #22
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

I absolutely hate run flats. Had them on my 335i coupe, and they came in my M240xi. Ride quality and handling are sub par compared to cheaper non run flat options. You sacrifice a certain amount of security, but I'm willing to take the occasional flat for having tires I enjoy, handle better, and last longer.

I finally burnt up my oem runflats that came with my car. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ installed. What a great tire.
Appreciate 0