THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning ER Catted Downpipe (my review)

03-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenotte View Post
Hi AlexGT

It's quite strange that your car generate such loud sound.

When I ask ER about catted DP by mail:

- Do you have some measures on added noise of your catted DP compared to factory stock one?

They answer:

Due to the nature of the higher flow, it is slightly louder. However the difference is very small. It is not like the catless downpipes.

Are you sure that your shop correctly put in place the DP and its gasket ring?

Part 3 on stock DP ETK

So now I've some doubts on ER catted DP between what ER said and your experience
I'm pretty sure they installed the ER like it should man, they asked me to come and see when the car was still up on the bridge. If they didn't install it correctly, I should be hearing strange noises right? Or CEL errors due to incorrect exhaust gases escape?
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #24
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I have BCS 200cpi catted DP with MPE and no gunshot backfiring. Sounds awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I have BCS 200cpi catted DP with MPE and no gunshot backfiring. Sounds awesome
Now I'm concerned... is it something wrong with my DP or my exhaust? Could it be due to the RaceChip? I don't get it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Now I'm concerned... is it something wrong with my DP or my exhaust? Could it be due to the RaceChip? I don't get it
Can't you put the dummy plug on the racechip which bypasses the tune to test?
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
+1
I've heard some cars like this so dont think its a problem

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 03-14-2015 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Yeah, thanks pikcachu, I will try that next weekend 👍
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #29
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

I have a catless er dp and m performance exhaust. Here is a clip of how mine sounds. I get the backfire as well and am pretty sure it was installed correctly...pretty droney on the low end but not crazy in the mid range. Once you get on it thats when it really screams and sounds like its spitting fire on upshifts and downshifts. I personally, love it since I've never owned a car with this kind of power or merciless "grunting".

On a side note, anyone mind explaining what causes that backfire on our cars??
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBran View Post
"...pretty droney on the low end but not crazy in the mid range. Once you get on it thats when it really screams and sounds like its spitting fire on upshifts and downshifts."
Can you e a little more descriptive of droney? Do you have a clip you could share while driving in the car with the window down and then up so we can hear the noise in the cabin that might help?

I had an Eisenmann Race on my E90 that deleted the secondary cats, resonator and muffler, so a full system that sounded amazing. This sounds pretty similar with the gurgling where I would hear it on the downshifts, but never during an upshift. This set up seems to hit the mark on what I am looking for for this vehicle at a fraction of the cost.
      03-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #31
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Can you e a little more descriptive of droney? Do you have a clip you could share while driving in the car with the window down and then up so we can hear the noise in the cabin that might help?

I had an Eisenmann Race on my E90 that deleted the secondary cats, resonator and muffler, so a full system that sounded amazing. This sounds pretty similar with the gurgling where I would hear it on the downshifts, but never during an upshift. This set up seems to hit the mark on what I am looking for for this vehicle at a fraction of the cost.
Keeping in mind that I have never owned a car with an exhaust of this magnitude my opinion might be a little biased in terms of what I would consider "drone". In actuality, if you are just cruising along regularly (for me that is ECO Pro mode) the exhaust is completely bearable. In the moments where I would have to get up to speed a little quicker in either comfort or eco mode, the exhaust does resonate in the cabin quite a bit between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. It is definitely something I don't mind and quite enjoy listening to, so it's more of a plus for me. Just like everything else it comes down to personal preference. I have attached a clip of me driving through a parking garage. Forgive that fact that it was pretty crowded, but I couldn't resist since I had the DP installed about an hour or two previously and I could not bring myself to wait for it to empty out. The clip still doesn't do it justice and mind you the windows are open only about 1/4 of the way! Great alternate to the $2000+ exhaust out there that wont get you nearly as much gain with the sounds. $810 installed for the M performance exhaust + $670 installed for the ER catless dp = $1480 for a great sounding exhaust and gains

Underpass WOT at 3:17 ..

Last edited by M2TROLL; 03-15-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #32
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Morning/Afternoon fellow members. After a long 3 month wait for Wagner to get the Catted Downpipe for the M235i, I gave up. I wanted to buy that one since I also purchased the Performance Intercooler from them... I had an awful experience with aFe who assured me that their catted DP would fit the M235i, which it didn't (lost my money).. oh well

Then I was told that ER has also a good catted downpipe with 200 cell, so I started my research... I was lucky enough to get a great price from mike@x-ph.com who's company sells ER products, so I didn't hesitate and purchased it.

Once I pulled the ER catted DP out from the box, I new this one would fit . The exhaust shop took like an hour to take off the OEM DP and install the ER's. I had the chance to take some pictures (enclosed), in the inner side comparison you'll see that it is very very different from the OEM one, those -200 cells that the ER has, is actually noticeable by the naked eye.

2 weeks before, I installed the RaceChip Ultimate unit to my car, I noticed big changes in acceleration with the box, but the RC Ultimate combined with this catted downpipe makes the car so aggressive that now I'm having traction issues, I'm not lying, torque is way better. The sound, well, that is one thing I like and don't like at the same time, kind of complicated to explain, but I will try. First be aware that I have the M Performance Exhaust, which it has automatic flap control depending the driving mode selection:

- In Comfort mode with normal gearbox selection (I have 8spd auto), the car is louder than with the OEM DP, but the sound is not too intrusive. If I put the gear in sport selection, tends to feel a little bit more louder (but just a little).

- In Sport mode (with normal gearbox selection) you'll notice that obviously the sound is louder, with the flap completely open, the MPE roars when you accelerate hard and when at idle, yes, the exhaust sounds deeper (which I really love) . BUT, when you're in Sport mode and with sport mode gearbox selection, this is where the car becomes way louder in hard acceleration, when changing gears (either automatic or normal) the ER DP makes the MPE to drone, when downshifting, if you're in S2 or M2, you'll hear explosions , this is what I personally don't like.. some of you may like that though.

I tried to take some videos today when I came to the office, sorry for the first one that it's way too dark (it was very early in the morning), but since we're focusing in the "sound" area, it doesn't matter, right?

I recommend to hear these in 720p as I recorded them with 192kbps at that video rate.

This first dark video is for you to see how the car sounds in cold start with the ER catted Downpipe and the M Performance Exhaust, you can actually hear the valve opening when warmup is done:

And this is the sound check with warm engine, first in Comfort mode and then in Sport mode:

I'm honestly considering to see other "no drone" options for exhaust, it is not that I hate the MPE now, it's just that I really don't get used to those explosions and drone. I hope I can record another video while driving the car, soon.

Hope this helps when considering this combination on DP and Exhaust.

Cheers!

PS: Thanks Mike for the great service provided on this purchase
Alex no fuel smell right?
I could live with this sounds

Quote:
Keeping in mind that I have never owned a car with an exhaust of this magnitude my opinion might be a little biased in terms of what I would consider "drone". In actuality, if you are just cruising along regularly (for me that is ECO Pro mode) the exhaust is completely bearable. In the moments where I would have to get up to speed a little quicker in either comfort or eco mode, the exhaust does resonate in the cabin quite a bit between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. It is definitely something I don't mind and quite enjoy listening to, so it's more of a plus for me. Just like everything else it comes down to personal preference. I have attached a clip of me driving through a parking garage. Forgive that fact that it was pretty crowded, but I couldn't resist since I had the DP installed about an hour or two previously and I could not bring myself to wait for it to empty out. The clip still doesn't do it justice and mind you the windows are open only about 1/4 of the way! Great alternate to the $2000+ exhaust out there that wont get you nearly as much gain with the sounds. $810 installed for the M performance exhaust + $670 installed for the ER catless dp = $1480 for a great sounding exhaust and gains

Sounds really good! Any issues with the catless? fuel smell? how bad is it?
Sounds louder than catted might be too noisy for the city =\ where the TaxCollectors will give you a tix for anything

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Alex no fuel smell right?
I could live with this sounds
No Rob, no fuel smell, at least not yet
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #34
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Thanks to all for your replies and comments
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #35
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Alex,

Thanks very much for the video, it helps to hear it in that type of environment. Keep us posted as they break in over the next few months. I would be interested to hear others who have the same set up you do.
      03-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #36
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Alex,

Thanks very much for the video, it helps to hear it in that type of environment. Keep us posted as they break in over the next few months. I would be interested to hear others who have the same set up you do.
My pleasure Autobot, I'm glad it was useful. I'll keep you posted 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #37
ai388
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

thank you so much for this thread Alex! it's exactly what i'm looking for. awesome videos btw
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #38
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:

Why was the car/camera shaking so much after the underpass run?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #39
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai388
thank you so much for this thread Alex! it's exactly what i'm looking for. awesome videos btw
Anytime man
—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— ——
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #40
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

Hi AlexGT , did you noticed a change in sound since you installed ER catted downpipe?

Did you noticed a CEL or error code logged in DME?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #41
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenotte View Post
Hi AlexGT , did you noticed a change in sound since you installed ER catted downpipe?

Did you noticed a CEL or error code logged in DME?

Thanks in advance!
Hi quenotte , not at all man, I've been using the car for more than 700 kms and no CEL errors nor strange noises or behaviors.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #42
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

Ok Thank you AlexGT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #43
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Why was the car/camera shaking so much after the underpass run?
I was wondering the same thing when i went back and watched it for the first time, not really sure...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #44
shane060
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6spd 2011 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
AlexGT just wondering if you have encountered a CEL or anything yet as I'm looking to make the move to catted dp as well!
Appreciate 0