THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning ER Catted Downpipe (my review)

03-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

ER Catted Downpipe (my review)

Morning/Afternoon fellow members. After a long 3 month wait for Wagner to get the Catted Downpipe for the M235i, I gave up. I wanted to buy that one since I also purchased the Performance Intercooler from them... I had an awful experience with aFe who assured me that their catted DP would fit the M235i, which it didn't (lost my money).. oh well

Then I was told that ER has also a good catted downpipe with 200 cell, so I started my research... I was lucky enough to get a great price from mike@x-ph.com who's company sells ER products, so I didn't hesitate and purchased it.

Once I pulled the ER catted DP out from the box, I new this one would fit . The exhaust shop took like an hour to take off the OEM DP and install the ER's. I had the chance to take some pictures (enclosed), in the inner side comparison you'll see that it is very very different from the OEM one, those -200 cells that the ER has, is actually noticeable by the naked eye.

2 weeks before, I installed the RaceChip Ultimate unit to my car, I noticed big changes in acceleration with the box, but the RC Ultimate combined with this catted downpipe makes the car so aggressive that now I'm having traction issues, I'm not lying, torque is way better. The sound, well, that is one thing I like and don't like at the same time, kind of complicated to explain, but I will try. First be aware that I have the M Performance Exhaust, which it has automatic flap control depending the driving mode selection:

- In Comfort mode with normal gearbox selection (I have 8spd auto), the car is louder than with the OEM DP, but the sound is not too intrusive. If I put the gear in sport selection, tends to feel a little bit more louder (but just a little).

- In Sport mode (with normal gearbox selection) you'll notice that obviously the sound is louder, with the flap completely open, the MPE roars when you accelerate hard and when at idle, yes, the exhaust sounds deeper (which I really love) . BUT, when you're in Sport mode and with sport mode gearbox selection, this is where the car becomes way louder in hard acceleration, when changing gears (either automatic or normal) the ER DP makes the MPE to drone, when downshifting, if you're in S2 or M2, you'll hear explosions , this is what I personally don't like.. some of you may like that though.

I tried to take some videos today when I came to the office, sorry for the first one that it's way too dark (it was very early in the morning), but since we're focusing in the "sound" area, it doesn't matter, right?

I recommend to hear these in 720p as I recorded them with 192kbps at that video rate.

This first dark video is for you to see how the car sounds in cold start with the ER catted Downpipe and the M Performance Exhaust, you can actually hear the valve opening when warmup is done:

And this is the sound check with warm engine, first in Comfort mode and then in Sport mode:

I'm honestly considering to see other "no drone" options for exhaust, it is not that I hate the MPE now, it's just that I really don't get used to those explosions and drone. I hope I can record another video while driving the car, soon.

Hope this helps when considering this combination on DP and Exhaust.

Cheers!

PS: Thanks Mike for the great service provided on this purchase
Attached Images

Last edited by AlexGT; 03-14-2015 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M235i 6MT

Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a catted down pipe as well and want to know if you have a check engine light with this unit? Does your tune delete the codes? I have the dinan tune which does not delete codes so this is why I'm wondering. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaF22MPower View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a catted down pipe as well and want to know if you have a check engine light with this unit? Does your tune delete the codes? I have the dinan tune which does not delete codes so this is why I'm wondering. Thanks!
Anytime man. About your questions, nope, no CEL errors at all and no, my RaceChip Ultimate box doesn't have the capability to delete error codes. I've driven the car for about 400 kms (like 250miles) and no CEL errors displayed.

I use ScanGauge II and I manually checked for error codes, none

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Anytime man. About your questions, nope, no CEL errors at all and no, my RaceChip Ultimate box doesn't have the capability to delete error codes. I've driven the car for about 400 kms (like 250miles) and no CEL errors displayed.

I use ScanGauge II and I manually checked for error codes, none

Hope this helps
Awesome! Appreciate it, enjoy it. Hope it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaF22MPower View Post
Awesome! Appreciate it, enjoy it. Hope it stays that way.
Thanks man, I'm happy this helped you. I really hope I never get CEL errors with the DP too hehe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

I'm honestly considering to see other "no drone" options for exhaust, it is not that I hate the MPE now, it's just that I really don't get used to those explosions and drone. I hope I can record another video while driving the car, soon.

Hope this helps when considering this combination on DP and Exhaust.

Cheers!

PS: Thanks Mike for the great service provided on this purchase
Damn... those are some "explosions"

Not sure what you mean with "Sport mode and Sport Gear Selection"
cause if you have Sport mode as (chassis and powertrain), the powertrain part puts the transmission in the sport gear selection by default even if you leave it in D... if you put it in S, it will just downshift 1 gear momentarily and then upshift again after a little bit...

only case where "Sport mode" would not put the transs in sport is if you have it set up to "chassis only"...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Damn... those are some "explosions"

Not sure what you mean with "Sport mode and Sport Gear Selection"
cause if you have Sport mode as (chassis and powertrain), the powertrain part puts the transmission in the sport gear selection by default even if you leave it in D... if you put it in S, it will just downshift 1 gear momentarily and then upshift again after a little bit...

only case where "Sport mode" would not put the transs in sport is if you have it set up to "chassis only"...
Yeah! Now it is known as Sir Farts A Lot!

Sorry about my confusing explanation pikcachu , I meant to explain that when using the transmission in D sounds not to loud (in Sport driving mode) and when I put the tranny in S (in Sport mode) the exhaust goes way louder and when shifting gears it makes lots of drone and when downshifting it makes some explosions too (in S2 / M2).
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Yeah! Now it is known as Sir Farts A Lot!

Sorry about my confusing explanation pikcachu , I meant to explain that when using the transmission in D sounds not to loud (in Sport driving mode) and when I put the tranny in S (in Sport mode) the exhaust goes way louder and when shifting gears it makes lots of drone and when downshifting it makes some explosions too (in S2 / M2).
ah i see.... sounds like a gun firing
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
ah i see.... sounds like a gun firing
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

Nice review Alex.

I think that the explosions are generated by DME, mainly to generate farts/burbles with stock exhaust...

I think that you can have also have them with stock DP and MPE if exhaust is hot...
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
verheizer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i

Wow this is really awesome.. I'm one of the explosion lovers^^

One possibility for you would be to swap midpipes with an 335i/435i driver, since their middle silencer is bigger. It doesn't fit 100%, but I read that you can adjust that with the stock clamps. or in your case you will maybe need to cut 1cm off of it. But when you find one who wants his 335/435i a little bit louder, the mod is for free
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Appreciate your time and effort to post up your review and videos. I too had a Wagner downpipe on order only to be told it was two months out after placing the order so I cancelled it. Put me on the side of not liking the gunshots going off on overrun though. I love the overrun sound with the stock downpipe and M Performance exhaust and will keep it until I trade the car in next year.

Last edited by Delnari; 03-16-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Thanks for posting, I was planning on running that set up, but the backfiring is a bit too much for me. I wonder if after a few hundred miles it will change at all?
      03-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

I'm glad that this review helped you guys. Thanks for your feedback and comments.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

I have catless DP and MP Exhaust and I never hear any backfiring that serious.

Does the catted DP increase the backfiring? I would assume it's the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post

Does the catted DP increase the backfiring? I would assume it's the other way around.
I was wondering the same thing. Either way sounds cool and thanks for the review. I've been debating between catted/catless myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Thanks for posting, I was planning on running that set up, but the backfiring is a bit too much for me. I wonder if after a few hundred miles it will change at all?
Mmmm that's a good point, maybe it'll change, I keep you posted if it does autobot
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #18
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Either way sounds cool and thanks for the review. I've been debating between catted/catless myself.
Thanks ice
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #19
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post

I honestly don't know why the catless doesn't make it sound as loud as the catted one man.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #20
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
PERFECT review!!!!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 01:29 AM   #21
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
PERFECT review!!!!
Thank you Rob

I owe you guys som more videos which shows the sound while driving
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #22
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

Hi AlexGT

It's quite strange that your car generate such loud sound.

When I ask ER about catted DP by mail:

- Do you have some measures on added noise of your catted DP compared to factory stock one?

They answer:

Due to the nature of the higher flow, it is slightly louder. However the difference is very small. It is not like the catless downpipes.

Are you sure that your shop correctly put in place the DP and its gasket ring?

Part 3 on stock DP ETK

So now I've some doubts on ER catted DP between what ER said and your experience
Appreciate 1