THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum In the market for M235i - Could use some wisdom/advice!

03-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

In the market for M235i - Could use some wisdom/advice!

Hey everybody! Ex-mustang driver here. A drunk driver recently destroyed my car, so I'm in the market for a replacement, and I've more or less settled on an M235i.

There's only two near me that aren't salvage/bad condition, but they both have 50,000+ miles and 2 owners. I know the N55 engine is pretty reliable, but should I be worried about buying one with high(er) mileage? What are the first things I should do? I'm assuming spark plugs, brakes, etc.

For reference, here are the two I'm looking at, both almost fully optioned out (Premium package, Tech package, backup camera)

2014 M235i 50,000mi $26,000 @ Dealership (red interior)
2014 M235i 58,000mi $23,000 @ Private Owner (black interior, no rear sensors)

Should I pull the trigger on one of these, or should I wait it out for something lower mileage? I don't want my future daily driver to turn into a maintenance nightmare.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still somewhat new to the BMW world!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghst View Post
Hey everybody! Ex-mustang driver here. A drunk driver recently destroyed my car, so I'm in the market for a replacement, and I've more or less settled on an M235i.

There's only two near me that aren't salvage/bad condition, but they both have 50,000+ miles and 2 owners. I know the N55 engine is pretty reliable, but should I be worried about buying one with high(er) mileage? What are the first things I should do? I'm assuming spark plugs, brakes, etc.

For reference, here are the two I'm looking at, both almost fully optioned out (Premium package, Tech package, backup camera)

2014 M235i 50,000mi $26,000 @ Dealership (red interior)
2014 M235i 58,000mi $23,000 @ Private Owner (black interior, no rear sensors)

Should I pull the trigger on one of these, or should I wait it out for something lower mileage? I don't want my future daily driver to turn into a maintenance nightmare.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still somewhat new to the BMW world!

Thanks!

Those prices are not too bad but you should do a VIN decoder search and get the complete option list, so you can verify the features each one has. That could influence the price, at least to me...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
How near is near? A four-year-old car with two previous owners does not bode well and the prices are not stellar. Maybe you should cast your net a little wider. Also, 2014 is the first year of this model. Check Consumer Reports, which otherwise loves the car, to see what they feel about 2014 vs. 2015. I would look for a 2015 with one previous owner and maybe lower mileage. Mine has just over 30K.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
Those prices are not too bad but you should do a VIN decoder search and get the complete option list, so you can verify the features each one has. That could influence the price, at least to me...
Carfax looks good on both, but I can't see any oil change intervals or maintenance work on either of them. It's only showing when the titles changed over, and the reported mileage. Should this be worrisome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
How near is near? A four-year-old car with two previous owners does not bode well and the prices are not stellar. Maybe you should cast your net a little wider. Also, 2014 is the first year of this model. Check Consumer Reports, which otherwise loves the car, to see what they feel about 2014 vs. 2015. I would look for a 2015 with one previous owner and maybe lower mileage. Mine has just over 30K.
I've searched in a 200mi radius, I don't have the ability to travel 4+ hours to see any others unfortunately.

The only 2015 near me has 25k miles for $29,000 but the wheels are curbed very badly, there's a dent in the side skirt, and the front bumper has a really bad gash, obviously the driver hit a curb pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Carfax looks good on both, but I can't see any oil change intervals or maintenance work on either of them. It's only showing when the titles changed over, and the reported mileage. Should this be worrisome?

Quote:
I've searched in a 200mi radius, I don't have the ability to travel 4+ hours to see any others unfortunately.

The only 2015 near me has 25k miles for $29,000 but the wheels are curbed very badly, there's a dent in the side skirt, and the front bumper has a really bad gash, obviously the driver hit a curb pretty badly.
I wasn't referring to a Carfax or anything maintenance related, that's important also obviously but I meant the list of options the car came with from the factory (Navi, heated seats, packages, ect). Put your potential VIN on the site below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't referring to a Carfax or anything maintenance related, that's important also obviously but I meant the list of options the car came with from the factory (Navi, heated seats, packages, ect). Put your potential VIN on the site below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://www.bmwvin.com/
Oh gotcha! Awesome resource!

I compared the two VIN #'s, and the cars are almost identical, the dealership one for $26k having a "315Mhz frequency radio", or whatever that means. Everything else is the same, build date for both is late Q1 2014 (two weeks apart).

In terms of distance, I can't find anything within 500mi that's under 40k mileage in Alpine White, unfortunately. So going back to my original question(s), is 50-60k mileage still going to prove reliable? I've heard a lot of issues won't pop up until 100k+
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wait a few months if you can. Inventory should pick up quite a bit as 2015s start rolling off leases in bigger volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP: are you restricting yourself to Alpine White?
That is a bad move to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Oh gotcha! Awesome resource!

I compared the two VIN #'s, and the cars are almost identical, the dealership one for $26k having a "315Mhz frequency radio", or whatever that means. Everything else is the same, build date for both is late Q1 2014 (two weeks apart).

In terms of distance, I can't find anything within 500mi that's under 40k mileage in Alpine White, unfortunately. So going back to my original question(s), is 50-60k mileage still going to prove reliable? I've heard a lot of issues won't pop up until 100k+
I have a 50K mi 2013 335i MPK my wife is now driving. Its been perfect so far. Only issue, one bad strut at 25K replaced under warranty.

This car has had 70% highway driving, adult driven and maintained by the book.

I would be a bit concerned about 2 owner cars but I think 75K miles is where you might see issues. If serious, have the owners check the car vehicle setting to get an idea on the brakes, last oil change etc. Brakes can cost $1500. ( the 335 needs front brakes in 4k mi and rear in 19K per the car monitor )

Personally, I would not buy a 2 owner 50K mi car. How many miles do you cover/yr ? I would wait and see if something else pops up unless you need a car ASAP.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I doesn't sound like the OP has the luxury of waiting a few months for more cars to come off lease (his Mustang was totaled by a DD), but I'd agree to expand the search beyond Alpine White, if that's a current limiting factor. It's a great color (see my signature) but when searching a used care, especially one produced at a lower volume like the 2 Series, looking for a specific color really limits the search. There really aren't many folks on this or any other forum who have experience with a 2 Series over 50K miles. While I am confident the my m235i will do fine to 100K miles or more, there just aren't many cars approaching that number yet, so no real data points to look at. Best advice is cast a broad net, find an accident-free one with the features and options you want which appears to be well maintained, have a PPI completed and try to get your best price. Easy, right? Best of luck with your purchase. It's truly a great car, best I have ever owned.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Now days you need to check engine wiring / brake lines - because I see quite a few cars with damage from rodents chewing on insulation and rubber.

And with electric steering, turbo and electronic shocks you just doubled the amount of expensive components.

If you can find something with at least a year of remaining full warranty that will go a long way.

Also check the tires, runflat, low treat, high shoulder wear - because $100 tires don’t belong on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

There are about 25 listings around me, all of which have 30-50k miles on average, and the prices are 27-34k, the $32,000+ territory being those that have 20k miles (give or take).

I wish I had the luxury of waiting longer for something to pop up, but it could take months, and as previously stated I am currently without a car, and have already been looking for 7 weeks now. I can no longer make use of a rental, either, as insurance won't be covering one beyond this point.

I'm strongly considering the 58k mileage m235i for $24k - considering how much I'd be saving, I could gladly turn around and invest into maintenance right off the bat to ensure longevity.

In terms of my annual mileage, I put 3,000mi on my last car in 11 months before It was hit and totaled (my commute is less than 10 miles daily) - so for this, I'd estimate 5-10k a year at absolute most.

I've made a checklist of things to replace/repair at an indy shop, assuming the deal for this car goes through:

- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- Spark Plugs & Coil packs
- Cabin air filter (DIY)
- Airbox filter (DIY)
- Brake pads & Flush

Big ticket items, like the thermostat/water pump I'd tackle around $80k miles or so, and I'd make sure to have the car fully inspected while said work is being done.

Quote:
OP: are you restricting yourself to Alpine White?
That is a bad move to begin with.
I tend to be very picky with my cars, and I already have a good idea of how I would want to build this one (aesthetically) - when I invest into a car, I think of it less as a daily driver, and more of something I'm going to cherish and really enjoy, so knowing me, if I got a color I wasn't super happy with, it would diminish the quality of the car in my eyes. Maybe that sounds strange haha, but I haven't kept a car stock in 9 years, and I come from a background of performance/show cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
I would be a bit concerned about 2 owner cars but I think 75K miles is where you might see issues. If serious, have the owners check the car vehicle setting to get an idea on the brakes, last oil change etc. Brakes can cost $1500. ( the 335 needs front brakes in 4k mi and rear in 19K per the car monitor )

Personally, I would not buy a 2 owner 50K mi car...
The first owner of the car I'm looking at (58kmi) leased the car and commuted in it, sold it at 48k miles, the second owner has put another 10k on it and is now offering it for sale. With that much driving in one year, it's bound to be highway miles.

There's only one low mileage m235i around me, 23,000mi for $29k but the wheels are very badly curb rashed, the bumper has a nasty gash, and the rocker panel is dented - plus it's had two owners in it's short life. I feel like I'm better off saving $6k for something double the mileage that has no accidents.

Last edited by ghst; 03-22-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Coolant flush really isn’t needed until 10 years. I have a 2014 M235 with 12,900 miles but I’m not selling (sorry). Good news is the retail value has barely dropped in the last 12 months at least according to my county auditor and KBB. Had a 2007 335 with N54 which we sold at 75,000 miles and biggest expense is pads and rotors since you need to do both. Find an independent that works on BMW’s or you will get hosed by dealers. Coils and plugs, I had coils go bad at 40-60K miles but you will know because it will run like crap immediately. I had a tune on it so that probably contributed. N55 is probably a little more reliable but look for oil leaks on oil cooler and engine, N54 developed some slow leaks and used some oil. I agree on color, if your spending $25K get the color you want. I only considered silver and white when I ordered so why get stuck with some color you don’t want.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I am usually hesitant to tell someone what to do with their car and their money, but since price is a consideration, have you looked at a 228 with the proper options i.e. THP sport etc.? You could get a VERY nice car and throw a few bucks at a Dinan Stage 1 setup and have something that is absolutely quick enough.

I have that engine in my F31 and it's Stage 1, PLENTY quick. Especially considering how little you drive, I cannot imagine you needing more car to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

I would hold on the coils and plugs till ( if ) the car does not run well or your gas mileage is not consistent with your driving style.

You other items are not super costly (except the brakes and maybe those have been done by 50K. )

Since you are not a high mileage driver, I think you should have lots of fun miles before some other wear items pop up.

PS..if AW is your color choice, I highly endorse it. Looks great on the 235 ( mine is AW). Also, don't sweat the wheels too much. Probably a lot of oem wheels for sale for less $$ than repair costs from folks who upgrade from stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #16
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I am usually hesitant to tell someone what to do with their car and their money, but since price is a consideration, have you looked at a 228 with the proper options i.e. THP sport etc.? You could get a VERY nice car and throw a few bucks at a Dinan Stage 1 setup and have something that is absolutely quick enough.

I have that engine in my F31 and it's Stage 1, PLENTY quick. Especially considering how little you drive, I cannot imagine you needing more car to be honest.
Ultimately, my budget is around $30k. Anything above that price is cutting into modification territory (wheels, suspension, etc).

I'm coming from a 440hp 400tq manual car, so unfortunately the 228 isn't going to cut it. I drove one and felt really disappointed. My mind is pretty much set on an M235i. I originally wanted a 435i, but they're too big now, and too "floaty". More of a luxury than a sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
I would hold on the coils and plugs till ( if ) the car does not run well or your gas mileage is not consistent with your driving style.

You other items are not super costly (except the brakes and maybe those have been done by 50K. )

Since you are not a high mileage driver, I think you should have lots of fun miles before some other wear items pop up.

PS..if AW is your color choice, I highly endorse it. Looks great on the 235 ( mine is AW). Also, don't sweat the wheels too much. Probably a lot of oem wheels for sale for less $$ than repair costs from folks who upgrade from stock setup.
Good advice, thank you. What would be considered high mileage in these cars? I still see 100-200k mileage N54's being sold on craigslist daily for $10-15k, so part of me thinks mileage really shouldn't be a big issue, especially 50-60k on a 2014.

I'd buy the M235i with curbed wheels, but after factoring in the cost of new wheels, tires, and a new rocker panel to replace the dented one, I'm at 33k+ already which is pushing me over my initial budget. I mean, it's doable... but I feel like it's just a big headache. Who knows, maybe this would be my best course of action?

So I guess at this point, now I'm considering a new option.

2015 M235i 24,000mi (2 owners) fully loaded - $28,000
- Curbed passenger wheels (2)
- Dented side skirt
- Chipped bumper lip

Would it be worth it, knowing the cosmetic damage is there, for a lower mileage, newer year? I could hide the chipped lip with an M Performance Lip, a planned modification I wanted to do anyway. I could buy new wheels... how much do side skirts go for?

Last edited by ghst; 03-22-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #17
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Why are people so concerned with a car that had 2 previous owners? As long as the history checks out in relation to the condition the car is in, it shouldn't matter. Most of the time, it's just leases anyway. If it's had a new owner every year of its life, then yeah I understand but 2 in a span of 3.5-4 years isn't bad. I'd rather have that than a lower mileage, 1 owner car that's got signs of neglect/abuse (as mentioned above).

As far as mileage, for the most part, the N55 (which has been in service in various models throughout the years) appears to be a relatively reliable engine, other than a few select items that are more frequently mentioned on the forums (ex. water pump, oil filter housing gasket, etc). I'd imagine you'd be fine with one that's got 50-60K as long as it was maintained properly, so just make sure you get a copy of the vehicle history through the dealer (they can print out and show you a more detailed summary of service records but won't give it to you due to privacy) and get a PPI done.

And as for the maintenance items you should do, I'd say just do an oil change and see what the car/service history tells you needs done. Brake pads/rotors/fluid is probably up soon, but there's sensors on the car that will trip when it's time. Until then, no need to worry. Coolant can be left alone at that mileage, but I might think about a trans flush (AT requires a new belly pan). I'd also just leave the plugs/coilpacks alone for now until they start giving you issues. Filters should be a given on any car you take possession of.

That said, those prices look decent so if everything checks out, it might not be a bad purchase. Any reason why you're not sharing links to these listings? Also, just curious, but what other cars did you consider?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Ultimately, my budget is around $30k. Anything above that price is cutting into modification territory (wheels, suspension, etc).

I'm coming from a 440hp 400tq manual car, so unfortunately the 228 isn't going to cut it. I drove one and felt really disappointed. My mind is pretty much set on an M235i. I originally wanted a 435i, but they're too big now, and too "floaty". More of a luxury than a sports car.

Good advice, thank you. What would be considered high mileage in these cars? I still see 100-200k mileage N54's being sold on craigslist daily for $10-15k, so part of me thinks mileage really shouldn't be a big issue, especially 50-60k on a 2014.

I'd buy the M235i with curbed wheels, but after factoring in the cost of new wheels, tires, and a new rocker panel to replace the dented one, I'm at 33k+ already which is pushing me over my initial budget. I mean, it's doable... but I feel like it's just a big headache. Who knows, maybe this would be my best course of action?

So I guess at this point, now I'm considering a new option.

2015 M235i 24,000mi (2 owners) fully loaded - $28,000
- Curbed passenger wheels (2)
- Dented side skirt
- Chipped bumper lip

Would it be worth it, knowing the cosmetic damage is there, for a lower mileage, newer year? I could hide the chipped lip with an M Performance Lip, a planned modification I wanted to do anyway. I could buy new wheels... how much do side skirts go for?
28,000 is too much to pay for a cosmetically flawed anything.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44514.50
      03-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Time to get a little creative. Call about this car and see what the buyout is - since the lease is north of $600 on a coupe I am guessing the buyout, when it's time, would be well within your budget. PLUS you could try and find a friendly dealer to buy it and sell it back to you at market pricing vs residual. So yes you wouldn't own the car for a year but who cares, you could CPO it at the time of buy out as well.

http://www.leasetrader.com/2016_BMW_...e_277737.xhtml
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Buying a used car is always a roll of the dice, unless you know the owner personally or it's some old lady with bad back or something (general demographic). You are compensated for this inherent risk with a lower costing vehicle. Speculating on the vehicle's potential reliability will just be conjecture without actually physically examining it.

If possible, try to get them to give you some sort of small warranty to put your mind at ease, which I believe used car dealers are required by federal law to do, but the guarantee is usually not too long, like 3 months. If the car a dud, the problems will show itself within after a short period of time but then you'll be the covered.,
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #21
ghst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
28,000 is too much to pay for a cosmetically flawed anything.
Typically I'd agree, but in this case I could replace the wheels, since I'd want to anyway (now I'd have an excuse to), the front lip I planned on buying would cover the cosmetic damage to the bumper, and the side skirt's not that bad, but I could have a new one painted & installed for $400 roughly.

Out of all of the M235i's I've seen, this is the only one that's been garage kept in great condition otherwise, with full history on the carfax report - all of the other one's don't even have the oil changes listed.

For the price, I think this might be the one.

And for what it's worth, it's privately owned, and the owner had a full inspection done (with paperwork) from BMW - everything is in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Buying a used car is always a roll of the dice, unless you know the owner personally or it's some old lady with bad back or something (general demographic). You are compensated for this inherent risk with a lower costing vehicle. Speculating on the vehicle's potential reliability will just be conjecture without actually physically examining it.

If possible, try to get them to give you some sort of small warranty to put your mind at ease, which I believe used car dealers are required by federal law to do, but the guarantee is usually not too long, like 3 months. If the car a dud, the problems will show itself within after a short period of time but then you'll be the covered.,
This is another plus for a lease takeover. Have the thing for a few months before having to make a long term commitment.
Appreciate 0