THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trunk Dimensions...help?

01-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Don't forget possible airline charges for overweight bags. They have gotten very strict about the 50 lb. / 23 kg. limit. A 28" suitcase is humungous and unless you pack it very light it will easily exceed the limit. You may end up paying more in excess baggage fees than the cost of adaptable LED headlights!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #24
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Can I also suggest that you bring along (or order for delivery) one of those small LED rechargeable torches that charge from a 12V car socket? BMW do one (part no 82 12 9 406 650) but there are plenty to chose from on Amazon. The 2 Series boot is not particularly well-lit and this could be useful for finding stuff when the luggage obscures the lights. And handy anyway.

Parking in many European locations requires a parking time card to be displayed in the window: it's just a disc with the hours on it and you turn the disc to show your approximate arrival time. I imagine ED will include this but worth asking.

Some countries also require you carry a spare bulb set. For my M235i this was a hefty £80 ($109!) so again, worth checking if this comes with ED. If not, it would be a useful item to order for delivery with the car.

Austria and Switzerland require you display a Vignette to use the main highways. Although you can get them at the borders, you might like to get them in advance, so that you've not got a problem if the border is unmanned or it's late at night etc. Both countries highway police are very hot on stopping people without them. Also be aware that the Swiss fine excessive speeding in proportion to your income - hence the Swiss record of the highest speeding ticket of close to $300,000 for a rich Ferrari owner (don't let this put you off, this guy was doing 85mph in an 35mph zone in a small village. Just be aware.).

2 Series like to be refilled with BMW windscreen washer concentrate and BMW strongly recommends against mixing BMW and non-BMW. This is another item that would be useful to have in the car when you pick it up.
I appreciate the info on some of the more obscure items. I am familiar with the Vignettes.

Thanks to the others who have provided advice as well. I am a pretty seasoned traveller having been to around 60 countries including all of Western Europe, driving the Alps a number of times, all over Italy, France, Germany a bunch of times, plus just about every other EU country. This time we are going across Austria to Budapest, up to Poland (where we leave the car for a few days to cross into Belarus), up to Lithuania and Latvia (new countries for me), then back to Warsaw, Krakow, Prague, then back to Munich. I'm good with travelling light...my wife not so much, but its a work in progress!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #25
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
We were the other way 'round when we did our Canada trip as I was sceptical we could pack everything into two medium (67cm x 46cm x 28cm - 59 Litres) and one carry-on (55x37x22 - 31 L) plus my rucksack and her bag. But it worked well. We were business class so we could have each taken three cases (2 hold, cabin carry-on & bag) but I'm glad we kept it down.

My wife's approach was to say 'Pack the carry-on case jointly, as if we were going for a long Weekend. We can also put our light coats in rather than cart them around the airport. Then if we lose the big cases or they're delayed we can survive for a few days without needing replacements.'

We've had luggage lag behind us a few times and packing the carry-on case this way means there's no pressure if they don't turn up: you can survive for a while until they do, or you have the opportunity to buy replacement stuff. We did have to trolley the carry-on case when airside, but that wasn't a big deal. It also left a bit of space for any purchases airside.

Psychologically, it moves the 'Do we really need this?' arguments to focus on the carry-on case. Once we'd resolved that into the shared 31L, then it somehow made it easier to decide on what else to take in the remaining case we each had. Biggest annoyance was my trainers - these always take up a disproportionate amount of space. I also had a heavy 2Kg DSLR which I opted to put in my rucksack. Glad I did and didn't just take the little camera as some of my best shots were with the DSLR.

Last edited by msej449; 01-12-2018 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #26
DuncanLucas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMV

I had the same problems when I was traveling.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #27
StephenShort
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMV X5

Actually that is exactly what my girlfriend and I guided ourselves after when we chose what car to buy. We had the exact same plan of traveling around Europe and Asia with the car, so we definetly wanted something with as much boot space as possible. I would say that you can't actually picture the car dimensions just from pictures, at least we found it almost impossible, so what we did was use a site named cararac and actually put the dimensions on paper so we could better visualise our top options. I feel like this method has not failed us cause we never felt like we don't have enough space during our trips.
Appreciate 0