THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Tyre Query From An Amateur...

01-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
ElephantStone
Rep
Drives: N/A

Tyre Query From An Amateur...

Just a quick one from me. I've managed to get a flat left rear tyre on my run-flats, so that means 2 new rear tyres needed soon.

I'm debating going to non run-flat tyres, purely due to the fact that they're a lot cheaper, and don't lose that much of a benefit (even with a run-flat it still needs replacing pretty quickly). Also standard tyres provide a better drive, is this true?

My questions:
- If I was to get a non-BMW dealer to fit tyres, would the tyre pressure requirements stay the same? The tyre pressures on my door seem quite high and I don't want to fit new Goodyear's and have them burst from too much pressure straight away!

- Would fitting the new tyres affect the tyre pressure warning system? Would I need to warn the garage ahead of fitting that there is a sensor in there?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
idc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2015 i3 Rex

There is no difference in tire pressure and pressure sensor when going to regular tires. As long as the tire pressure indicated on the door is lower than the max tire pressure indicated by the tire manufacturer, you should be safe. Get a tire repair kit, they're not that expensive. My car does not have run flats, and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantStone View Post
Just a quick one from me. I've managed to get a flat left rear tyre on my run-flats, so that means 2 new rear tyres needed soon.

I'm debating going to non run-flat tyres, purely due to the fact that they're a lot cheaper, and don't lose that much of a benefit (even with a run-flat it still needs replacing pretty quickly). Also standard tyres provide a better drive, is this true?

My questions:
- If I was to get a non-BMW dealer to fit tyres, would the tyre pressure requirements stay the same? The tyre pressures on my door seem quite high and I don't want to fit new Goodyear's and have them burst from too much pressure straight away!

- Wuld fitting the new tyres affect the tyre pressure warning system? Would I need to warn the garage ahead of fitting that there is a sensor in there?

Thanks in advance!
You can run any tire pressures you want.The non-ronflat pressures for the Michelin Pilot SS are 32 front and 38 rear. Just reset the TPMS in the iDrive. I run higher in the fronts and lower in the rear equalizing the pressures.(36PSI}
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
ElephantStone
Rep
Drives: N/A

That's great cheers both.
Appreciate 0