THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 Aux Radiator Issue: VIN survey instructions

04-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
I guess that would make up for the missing 12 v socket under the dash and badges on the fenders that the rest of the world gets.
I know, right?

You may recognize this image: it's an official press image of the M235i M Performance parts showcase car. The car is Euro-spec. Note that the passenger-side intake shows the aux radiator behind it, while the driver's side intake is solid plastic.

Boom.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Reference images

So here's what we're talking about here:

228i Base (neither lower intake is open):

228i Sport Line (passenger-side intake open, just to the right of the foglight):

228i M Sport, passenger-side intake open & driver's side blocked off (This is my car):

228i M Sport, both intakes open (This car was built three days after mine):

M235i, passenger-side intake open & driver's side blocked off. This is a 'vert; those and Euro-spec M235is do not have the driver's side aux radiator:

M235i, both intakes open (all U.S.- and Canada-spec M235i coupes):

I don't need any more VIN submissions for the M235i; the delineation between those that have and don't have the second aux radiator is clear. What is not clear is why some 228i M Sports are missing the same radiator.

If you own a 228i M Sport WITHOUT an open driver's side lower intake (in other words: if the front of your 228i is like image 3 or 5), I'd really appreciate you sending your VIN decoding info to me using the instructions in the original post in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Good detective work. I tried to get some clarification from BMW NA and that was a dud. BMW Geniuses, an oxymoron.

Now, wonder why the M235i ragtops and Euro specs don't have the additional aux radiator?
      04-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Good detective work. I tried to get some clarification from BMW NA and that was a dud. BMW Geniuses, an oxymoron.

Now, wonder why the M235i ragtops and Euro specs don't have the additional aux radiator?
It's a great question, and may be a clue as to why the radiator's inclusion is hit-and-miss with M Sport models. My initial theory was that it had to do with relative stress on the engine by options and accessories, both electrical and electromechanical ... but that theory is blown out of the water by both the data I've collected and the power top on 'verts.

Another interesting set of tidbits: 228i and M235i 'verts have dedicated engine codes. 228i Coupes, regardless of trim or drive (RWD vs. xDrive), have the same engine code. M235i Coupes have had at least two engine codes.

I'm now thinking it's expressly a calculated cost-saving measure. I'll share my spreadsheet early next week (I'm holding out over the weekend for a couple more VIN decodes for 228i M Sports without the second aux radiator to come my way), but if the data doesn't change, I think the next step is to survey region and dealership (yes, I'm starting to suspect this may be a dealer thing in the U.S.) and reach out to BMWNA en masse.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #27
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm now thinking it's expressly a calculated cost-saving measure. I'll share my spreadsheet early next week (I'm holding out over the weekend for a couple more VIN decodes for 228i M Sports without the second aux radiator to come my way), but if the data doesn't change, I think the next step is to survey region and dealership (yes, I'm starting to suspect this may be a dealer thing in the U.S.) and reach out to BMWNA en masse.
If it's a cost saving measure, it will be interesting to see what the latest batch of M235s show up carrying, considering the decontenting comments that were recently going around about the ASD system .

Mine's at the dock in Bremerhaven, so no data point for it for about a month.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #28
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I think the next step is to survey region and dealership (yes, I'm starting to suspect this may be a dealer thing in the U.S.) and reach out to BMWNA en masse.
I did through the BMW Genius program and was asked to provide VINs to aid their research. Hence, the "oxymoron analogy" in my missive above.
      04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
If it's a cost saving measure, it will be interesting to see what the latest batch of M235s show up carrying, considering the decontenting comments that were recently going around about the ASD system.

And considering that 'verts (missing the second radiator) just came out and Euro-spec M235is never had the second radiator ... whooooooa.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #30
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Are there 2014 M Sports in the US without the second radiator? I'm still fairly convinced some bean counter just got a hold of the m sports for 2015 it seems logical to me.

I saw it with my first Mazda. 1st half 2010s had turn signal lights on the mirrors and foot well lighting...second half didn't have either (foot well lighting optional) companies want to make money and they'll cut whatever they can that wasn't heavily marketed...the extra m sport radiators do not appear in any marketing material anywhere. No one knows about them. Cut the extra non essential one and save some $$$$.

Features will be added later as the product reaches its midlife refresh to make it more appealing and not so stale anymore and to compete with newer products launched by other companies.

I've said this from the beginning. They're just trying to save money by cutting features relatively few know about or even care about. An engineer said a second radiator would be cool...it goes on the car...then the bean counters catch it later and tick it off as an unnecessary expense as they try to build profit into a lower profit margin product.

Last edited by mfourn20; 04-17-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #31
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
There was a jalopnik article that mentioned that the side radiators were for the automatic transmission, maybe the 6MT ppl don't have em
Appreciate 0